Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just bought the game! Love it, a couple quetions  (Read 1143 times)

ogredpowell

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Just bought the game! Love it, a couple quetions
« on: January 10, 2020, 09:51:32 AM »

Played this game way to much this week.   Wife is not happy.     I love the feel of the game- the bickering populated core worlds, and how when you explore it really feels like your are voyaging alone into the darkness.

A couple of questions:
1) Any way to flag/annotate the sector map? I was investigating a bunch of old ships and couldn't handle one of the defensive fleets.   I wanted to flag that star to come back when I get stronger.

2) How easy is the game to mod?
I saw that boarding was removed.   However, I had an idea about making 'assault shuttles' for my own use. if i could figure it out, would be happy to share

the concept would be:
1) fighters (assault shuttles) in a ship bay (could even add to a transport ship)?
2) shuttles may actually be better as regenerating missiles then fighters
3) these shuttles would contact the ship, and cause permanent EMP damage to simulate the marines ruining
everyone's day
4) assault shuttles require marines in the fleet to be equipped (or, i guess maybe a hull mod like marine stations?)
5) hull mod of 'security stations' or marine detachements (also requiring marines) makes the ship immune.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Just bought the game! Love it, a couple quetions
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 10:13:28 AM »

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

As far as 1: not at the moment, but it's something I'd like to look at. Not exactly sure what will come of it.

As far as 2: some things are easy to mod, some things are harder. I'd say your concept is on the harder end of things, because it touches both on combat and on connecting it up to the campaign layer, though if it was via hullmod (rather than actual marines) that'd be a bit easier. Still not the easiest thing, though.

ogredpowell

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 01:04:41 PM »

thank you for the response alex!

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 11:33:33 AM »

On number 2:

I did it years ago. 

See source code in the Vacuum mod.  Vacuum will not run on current versions of Starsector; you'll need to get one of the older archived releases to see it do what it does.  But basically, it was "shuttles" that could "capture" ships on the battlefield.  Not terrifically well-balanced or "fair" but it did work.

It (might) still even work pretty much as written, if ported forward.  I'm working on a game of my own right now and don't have time / energy to throw at modernizing that code.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 03:03:37 PM »

To my knowledge, boarding isn't a thing mainly because it's using weapons to disable a ship. Kinda like with normal weapons. Or to disable it at least temporarily or disrupt its systems. Kinda what EMP weapons do.
Additionally, boarding as it was, wasn't what you think of. It was done after the battle was resolved and it was basically a chance to get a ship you really like from the enemy, but with a healthy does of RNG. Current salvaging system accomplishes the same thing, but on a more reliable basis, even if it doesn't always work, either.

ogredpowell

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 06:30:55 PM »

Wow thanks. Will check out the mod