Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Neutron Star effects on bases/colonies  (Read 2911 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Neutron Star effects on bases/colonies
« on: January 07, 2020, 06:37:56 PM »

No pirate or pather bases in Neutron Star systems, please! Not a chance in hell that their rickety bases (and ships) have the same shielding as expensive Domain-era research orbitals.

Also, all colonies in a Neutron star system should have increased hazard and reduced accessibilty.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Neutron Star effects on bases/colonies
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 06:55:02 PM »

No pirate or pather bases in Neutron Star systems, please! Not a chance in hell that their rickety bases (and ships) have the same shielding as expensive Domain-era research orbitals.

Also, all colonies in a Neutron star system should have increased hazard and reduced accessibilty.

I actually think it'd be interesting if it somehow affected the pather/pirate base. Like it's got to be high tech,  the fleets are vastly worse but more numerous because they're harvesting the , or just something interesting.

Neutron stars/blackholes are extremely interesting map features that don't actually have much gameplay use.  Maybe you explore a system once to loot the stuff, but there's 0 reason to put a base in one and it feels like such a waste.

I don't hate that bases can show up there, but i do hate when they ONLY show up there (got a colony where the pirate base is ALWAYS in a neutron system right next door), and it's a shame that there isn't more effect from it.  Should be a rare but interesting occurrence.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Neutron Star effects on bases/colonies
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 12:36:28 AM »

Already present. Kind of.

All planets orbiting a neutron star get tagged with the 'radiation' condition during system gen. and thus have a higher hazard level by default.
However, this only applies if the neutron star is the primary star in the system (ie; <system name> A).
If the neutron star is the secondary or lower (B, C, D, etc.) then nothing happens, as the system is defined by the primary (A) star.

Logically the system gen. should be checking for the presence of a neutron star in every system and applying the radiation condition globally if it returns 1.
But there's a catch. The generation parameters for normal stars vs. neutron stars are a bit different. For example, all habitable planet types bar 1 are disallowed around neutron stars, but if that's not the primary which the system is built around and the primary is 'normal', then how do you reconcile that?
How do you have a secondary star override the established process and dictate system conditions, but only if it's <x>?

It's a bit of an inconsistenecy, but I can't see it ever being a priority over actual gameplay elements as it's essentially cosmetic.
It is one of the things about the procgen that annoys me, but I know it's not critical to the game itself.