Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Level 3 gunnery implants dont appear to do anything?  (Read 1668 times)

Commissar Tordez

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Level 3 gunnery implants dont appear to do anything?
« on: January 06, 2020, 04:44:03 PM »

So im new to this game, and so maybe im just being stupid here, but i upgraded my character with level 3 gunnery implants hoping to get that increased range of ballistic and energy weapons by 15% but it dosnt appear to have done anything? the tooltips for my weapons still state the range they had before, but i wasnt sure if that would change to begin with. But also it dosnt appear to have changed anything during actual combat. So is this skill bugged? am i just being dumb and it did change and i just didnt notice? or do i have to do something specific to activate said ability on my ship? help would be appreciated.

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Level 3 gunnery implants dont appear to do anything?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 04:50:34 PM »

The listed ranges for weapons will always be their base range. Rest assured that the skill is working as I've done testing on it to determine its worth for my officers by using the Target practice mod and removing/replacing an officer with Gunnery Implants 3. The target practice mod allows you to spawn targets fairly close to your ship in simulator, so they make a good landmark to compare the ranges of gunnery implants 3 and ITU. That said, percentages are additive so the 15% increase is fairly dwarfed and almost unnoticeable by ITU on capitals but much better for frigates.

With Paragon and all range skills you used to be able to outrange stations, but now that's no longer true so if you're using a capital you could almost take or leave the 15%. Especially if you don't have Ordnance expertise for the lovely increase to shot speed.

EDIT: I should've added that you will see the increased range with the aiming display. The outer most ring will expand outward equal to your modified range. (ie. it'll change during a fight based on ECM advantage.) You can shoot past that range, but there's a large amount of damage falloff and shots past max range only deal soft flux.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 04:52:57 PM by SapphireSage »

Commissar Tordez

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 05:28:35 PM »

The listed ranges for weapons will always be their base range. Rest assured that the skill is working as I've done testing on it to determine its worth for my officers by using the Target practice mod and removing/replacing an officer with Gunnery Implants 3. The target practice mod allows you to spawn targets fairly close to your ship in simulator, so they make a good landmark to compare the ranges of gunnery implants 3 and ITU. That said, percentages are additive so the 15% increase is fairly dwarfed and almost unnoticeable by ITU on capitals but much better for frigates.

With Paragon and all range skills you used to be able to outrange stations, but now that's no longer true so if you're using a capital you could almost take or leave the 15%. Especially if you don't have Ordnance expertise for the lovely increase to shot speed.

EDIT: I should've added that you will see the increased range with the aiming display. The outer most ring will expand outward equal to your modified range. (ie. it'll change during a fight based on ECM advantage.) You can shoot past that range, but there's a large amount of damage falloff and shots past max range only deal soft flux.
Thanks so much for clearing that up! I guess i just didnt notice the range increase because it is only 15%. i was hoping for alot more range tho since im using assault chainguns cuz they are awesome, but the range is abysmal lol.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 05:32:26 AM »

Thanks, SapphireSage. I've always wondered if it was additive or multiplicvative.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 08:53:39 AM »

Generally speaking in Starsector, percentage increases are additive and percentage decreases are multiplicative. For example, Gunnery Implants 1 decreases recoil by 50%, and being mounted in a hardpoint also decreases recoil by 50%. This results in 25% recoil rather than 0% recoil, because two decreases multiply rather than add. The sensor profile increases from d-mods add, so a ship with both Faulty Power Grid and Degraded Engines will have 200% sensor profile rather than 225%, because two increases add rather than multiply. Insulated Engine Assembly is a 50% decrease in sensor profile, so a ship with all 3 of Faulty Power Grid, Degraded Engines, and Insulated Engine Assembly will wind up with a multiplier of (1+0.5+0.5)/0.5 = 2/0.5 = 1, or 100% of normal sensor profile. I can't think of a single bonus/malus that breaks the increases are additive, decreases are multiplicative rule, but there might be an obscure one I'm missing.

wei270

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 12:13:09 PM »

i think the range increase may actually be multiplicative, i had sunder with tri lance, and optic mod + the target mod, and it is firing at target across the entire screen, and to my knowledge a entire screen is 2000 su right?

with trilance 1200 +200 from optice +240 from targeting device and 180 from skill it does not get close to 2000

however if (1200+200)*1.2*1.15 that actually is very close to 2000
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 12:36:21 PM by wei270 »

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 09:55:16 PM »

i think the range increase may actually be multiplicative, i had sunder with tri lance, and optic mod + the target mod, and it is firing at target across the entire screen, and to my knowledge a entire screen is 2000 su right?

with trilance 1200 +200 from optice +240 from targeting device and 180 from skill it does not get close to 2000

however if (1200+200)*1.2*1.15 that actually is very close to 2000
Advanced Optics applies after any and all range multipliers. It does not get multiplied by ITU or DTC or Gunnery Implants. Additionally, the Tachyon Lance only has 1000 base range, not 1200. The calculation is: 1000 + (0.2*1000) + (0.15 * 1000) + 200 = 1550. When targeting a ship, you can see how far away the centre of the targeted ship is from the centre of your piloted ship, so you should be able to check approximate ranges in the simulator.