Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27

Author Topic: [0.95a] DIY Planets - Terraforming and more!  (Read 382609 times)

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] DIY Planets - Terraforming and more!
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2020, 06:30:00 PM »

Is it normal that water worlds get no options to build the climate sculpture project ? You'd think it would be possible since it's basically a habitable earth-like planet but without the land.
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

Kentington

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2020, 09:59:33 AM »

Whoa, an update? That's right, I finally have time for Starsector again, and have made the following changes:

-Added "Cometary Capture Infrastructure," allowing desert planets to be hydrated without a water/ice world elsewhere in the system. It is a slower and more expensive option, however.
-Added "Lobster Breeding Program," allowing water worlds to develop their own Volturnian lobster industries - at the cost of angering the Diktat!
-Allowed the Climate Sculpting Project to be applied to water worlds.
-Reduced the rate at which terraforming artifacts replace vanilla artifacts in the loot tables. You can still get a steady supply from the bar quest.
-Fixed a bug where certain projects "ate" their AI cores upon completion.

Paragon Bane

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2020, 08:24:42 PM »

Whoa! Thank you!

Chikanuk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2020, 11:37:31 PM »

Great news!

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2020, 10:49:52 AM »

Thanks! Really love the repeatable quest!
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

Kentington

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2020, 08:59:28 AM »

Today's update makes the mod's title a bit more literal - it adds a method for creating planets from scratch! Once you reach level 40, speak with the AI persona hologram that appears in a bar and follow the quest to acquire the Genesis-class starship blueprint. Interacting with any asteroid with a Genesis in your fleet will convert the asteroid field into a new planet - one with ultrarich deposits of metals and rare metals, and some amount of both organics and volatiles.

It also adds a new use for the N-Brane Oscillator Core: you can transform any gas giant into a brown dwarf star, heating all planets in that system by one step.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2020, 09:03:04 AM »

It also adds a new use for the N-Brane Oscillator Core: you can transform any gas giant into a brown dwarf star, heating all planets in that system by one step.

Will this remove "no light" or "poor light" condition for those heated planets?
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Kentington

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2020, 09:06:42 AM »

Alas, brown dwarves radiate primarily in the far infrared part of the spectrum, so they won't help light levels.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2020, 09:14:31 AM »

Alas, brown dwarves radiate primarily in the far infrared part of the spectrum, so they won't help light levels.

You are scientifically correct. But SS is scientifically incorrect game by itself. Brown dwarfs in SS gives light to planets generated orbiting close to them. IMO modded stars should match vanilla.

P.S. "primarily in the far infrared part" is correct indeed, but it does not make them dark or dim. They are quite bright if you are close enough. BTW same thing to black holes.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Kentington

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2020, 03:29:59 PM »

You are scientifically correct. But SS is scientifically incorrect game by itself. Brown dwarfs in SS gives light to planets generated orbiting close to them. IMO modded stars should match vanilla.

P.S. "primarily in the far infrared part" is correct indeed, but it does not make them dark or dim. They are quite bright if you are close enough. BTW same thing to black holes.

Just checked a vanilla brown dwarf system and you're correct. I've updated the mod for consistency. Perhaps nebulae will be a bit more useful now that you can get ideal heat/light levels with a couple of oscillators.

RedPirateKing

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2020, 11:34:31 AM »

Hey love the mod just wondering if anyone has had any issue pairing it with Boggled's Terraforming mod that allows for station construction. Wanting to use that part of his mod with this mod and wondering if there would be conflicts with the terraforming notion of both
Thanks!

Ced Riggs

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2020, 12:19:46 PM »

Good news - it's already compatible with modded planet types!

A non-vanilla planet won't change its type, but terraforming is still worthwhile, since it can alter the planet's hazard rating by removing conditions.

Is there any way you could bridge that gap, and maybe coordinate with Unknown Skies? Because, I am sitting here with these Acid and Irradiated etc. pp. planets, and I am terraforming my butt off, but... you know. It ain't Earth-y. I feel like I tasted power, the power to change the sector into a Garden Eden, only to be stumped by a technicality.

Puppy eyes? Pretty please?

Alternatively, tell me in broad strokes how to do it myself. I am assuming I need a) know what the planet type is called and then b) copy some aspects of your mod for those planet types. But I would much rather not branch off of your code with constant need to merge after updates...

Ced Riggs

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2020, 12:37:18 PM »

I also have a bug report, I think:

This is a Volcanic world, where I removed the Heat first, then other things. Now it has 75% hazard, habitable, but it's neither barren, barren desert or desert, but perpetually a habitable, cozy volcanic world. Additionally, I cannot hover over the hazards anymore - I get a perpetual "hover over" click, rapid-fire. No idea what that icon between the Pathers and the Freeport is, either, as I do not get onHover windows on this colony.

Any idea?

Edit: And a similar case here:

This is a Barren world, in prime 75% hazard condition. Habitable, but didn't go desert/barren-desert. There are no further terraforming options.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 01:10:23 PM by Ced Riggs »

Kentington

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2020, 02:20:40 PM »

Red Pirate King: As far as I've seen in my brief testing, our mods' terraforming aspects don't interfere with one another.

Ced Riggs: At the moment planet types are hardcoded. When I have a moment, I'll see about either directly incorporating Unknown Skies types or at least putting the terraforming sequence into a csv file so users can edit it.

That bug is worrisome. Which other mods are you using, and in what order did you terraform the worlds in question? If all else fails, send me your save file so I can poke directly at the planets' conditions and see what's causing it.

Ced Riggs

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2020, 11:15:44 PM »

At the moment planet types are hardcoded. When I have a moment, I'll see about either directly incorporating Unknown Skies types or at least putting the terraforming sequence into a csv file so users can edit it.

That'd be amazing, and I'd love that!

As a suggestion; you could create a quasi API for other mods to latch onto, so Unknown Skies could add terraforming structures and sequence of their planets as modules to your mod, such as Vayra's IBB has hooks for custom faction bounties, or Commissioned Crews allows for mod factions to add their own bonus.

Which other mods are you using, and in what order did you terraform the worlds in question?

... Yes. I am running this with ~84 mods. Weeding out faction and utility mods, these are the ones that are left:
  • Better Colonies
  • DIY Planets
  • Grand Sector
  • Industrial Evolution
  • Nexelerin
  • Planetary Shield Access Control
  • Ruthless Sector
  • Underworld
  • Unknown Skies
Terraforming sequence, to the best of my knowledge, mandated by when I found parts - because you need so many Stellar Reflectors, and those seem to have a disproportionate drop weight compared to their demand.

Markham (Volcanic World) - Tectonic, Atmosphere, Heat.
Mubala (Barren World) - Atmosphere, Heat.

If all else fails, send me your save file so I can poke directly at the planets' conditions and see what's causing it.

Save File

Thank you so much for your time and work, I absolutely love this mod - and it made the rounds in my circle of friends, to resounding success.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27