Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27

Author Topic: [0.95a] DIY Planets - Terraforming and more!  (Read 382701 times)

Ramdat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] DIY Planets - Terraforming and more!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2020, 12:51:17 PM »

How does this mod compare to Boggled's Terraforming mod? For example: build cost, build time, maintenance cost, terraforming time? Does it delete the structure after the terraforming period is over? Does it delete positive modifiers (such as rich minerals) after terraforming?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 01:02:55 PM by Ramdat »

Kentington

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2020, 05:01:28 PM »

Ramdat: The structures do remove themselves when their work is done, and positive modifiers are unaffected. I can't compare it to other terraforming mods, having never played with them, but generally the process takes 6 to 18 months depending on the severity of the hazard to be removed. Costs are balanced vs. the long-term advantages offered by hazard reduction. I've tried to make DIY Planets more tightly integrated with the rest of Starsector than similar mods: for example, in the repeatable bar quests and the lore descriptions of how the Domain-era artifacts work.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 05:03:45 PM by Kentington »

Ramdat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2020, 05:51:53 PM »

Ramdat: The structures do remove themselves when their work is done, and positive modifiers are unaffected. I can't compare it to other terraforming mods, having never played with them, but generally the process takes 6 to 18 months depending on the severity of the hazard to be removed. Costs are balanced vs. the long-term advantages offered by hazard reduction. I've tried to make DIY Planets more tightly integrated with the rest of Starsector than similar mods: for example, in the repeatable bar quests and the lore descriptions of how the Domain-era artifacts work.
Thanks for your reply.

If you slot an AI core into the terraforming building, it deletes the AI core when it deletes the building after the terrraforming process is complete. Is this intended behaviour?

There is a potential bug with Rocky Metallic worlds. I found one with "no atmosphere" as the only penalty, and built an atmospheric pump on it. When it finished, it turned into a barren-desert planet and gained the habitability modifier, but it can't build a water capture infrastructure or any other terraforming buildings to continue the development. Since I'm testing, I used the console command fastbuild, if that matters. However, a barren-bombarded world correctly turned into a desert world with the fastbuild command.

Kentington

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2020, 06:12:01 PM »

Oh, no, that is not intended behavior. Just pushed a fix for both of your issues - the mod now properly checks for all cases where a planet's class is meant to improve by multiple steps.

Ramdat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2020, 06:27:15 PM »

Oh, no, that is not intended behavior. Just pushed a fix for both of your issues - the mod now properly checks for all cases where a planet's class is meant to improve by multiple steps.
Thanks, it did fix both issues.

Thief of Time

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2020, 11:15:40 AM »

Interesting mod, I played with it a bit, but not to the point of being an expert. I just have a few questions if you are feeling generous enough to indulge me.

1. Is there a way to go past desert if there are no water inclined planets in the system? (I know Boggled's Terraforming mod has something along the lines of automated drones dragging in ice asteroids as a buildable structure for that purpose.)
2. Do you have a way (plan) to deal with radiation related conditions?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 11:45:20 AM by Thief of Time »

Kentington

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2020, 01:30:39 PM »

Hey, sorry for the delayed response. I couldn't think of a plausible way to terraform irradiated planets, not even with the exotic physics of the setting, but that may just be a failure of creativity on my part. I'll think it over a bit.

Regarding the desert planets, that's coming in the next update! Expect it to be significantly slower and more expensive than the existing option, for balance's sake.

nullen_voiden

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2020, 09:35:30 PM »

Can Terraforming add farmland to a planet?
Does lowering the hazard rating cause the planet to grow faster?

Kentington

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2020, 10:08:25 PM »

Nullen_voiden: Yes and yes. Once a planet becomes habitable, it gains poor farmland. You can improve the land's quality by improving the planet's class. Hazard level modifies growth as per vanilla mechanics.

Panpiper

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2020, 04:52:11 AM »

I couldn't think of a plausible way to terraform irradiated planets, not even with the exotic physics of the setting, but that may just be a failure of creativity on my part. I'll think it over a bit.

Technically, it doesn't have to be plausible if you use sufficient handwavium. If possible, make it related to discovering an ultra ancient precursor artifact in a quest/encounter or something. Maybe link it to a device that is recovered but makes it so only one planet (per device) can be rid of radiation at a time.

"Your scientists have no idea where this thing came for. It appears to be more ancient than anything yet known. They are of two camps, that it hearkens to a previous universe that had different physics, or that it originated in another dimension that also had different physics. Leaving such academic debates to those with skinny arms, you want to know what it can do. While they have not ruled out it being capable of much more, one thing they are certain of is that this device can rid a planet of it's radioactive condition. At the moment they are calling it a Quantum Fizzler."

Panpiper

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2020, 08:58:26 AM »

I started a new playthrough this time with a few extra mods like Nexerelin, and yours. The first mission I picked up in a bar cost me 20K for a location to a terraformer. There, after fighting something WAY tougher than I had any business fighting when so new, I acquired both an Atmospheric Sublimator and a Terraformer Brainprint (that appears to be some sort of AI core). I really don't have a clue how these are supposed to be used, but more to the point... Were these added by your mod, or someone else's?

caymon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2020, 10:11:18 AM »

I couldn't think of a plausible way to terraform irradiated planets, not even with the exotic physics of the setting, but that may just be a failure of creativity on my part.

Irradiated planets are merely flooded with radiation on the surface, a solar radiation shield would protect the planet from continued radiation, and a focused cleanup would solve the problem.

think of it like a garden in the middle of a salt storm, if you put up canvas to block the wind and salt then remove the top layer filter out all the salt and return it you have a garden again.

heres an interesting bit from a how stuff works article:
Quote from: How stuff works
If you're like many people, you have all manner of antibacterial soaps and cleaners in your household. It's somewhat ironic, then, that scientists have found a way to use the infamous bacteria E. coli to scour the environment. By combining the bacteria with inositol phosphates -- an agricultural waste material -- scientists can first bind uranium to the phosphates and then harvest the uranium to remove it from the environment. As an added benefit, the process produces uranium almost as cheaply as traditional mining.

Thief of Time

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2020, 12:10:11 PM »

I started a new playthrough this time with a few extra mods like Nexerelin, and yours. The first mission I picked up in a bar cost me 20K for a location to a terraformer. There, after fighting something WAY tougher than I had any business fighting when so new, I acquired both an Atmospheric Sublimator and a Terraformer Brainprint (that appears to be some sort of AI core). I really don't have a clue how these are supposed to be used, but more to the point... Were these added by your mod, or someone else's?
I can answer those for you. First, the "Scared spacer" quest that give you a terraformer location for 20K are from this mod, as are the two "artefacts" you got as a reward.

As to how to use them: when you make a colony on a planet with negative conditions, you will have the ability to build terraforming structures specific to the negative conditions you have there. Some work "all the way" by default. That means that after being built, it slowly starts to lower hazzard rating up to the value the relevant negative condition is worth, after which both the structure and condition are removed.

Most of the structures only work "half way". That means, the structure will start lowering the hazzard rating as in the above case, but stop at half the value. The only way to make it continue progressing past that point is to install the relevant terraforming artefact in the structure (the same way you put a nanoforge into Heavy Industry). Once the structure has an artefact, it will continue to lower the hazzard rating up to the full value of the relevant condition, after which the condition and structure get removed (the artefact is consumed in the process).
The artefact should tell you in the last line of it's description what it can be used for.

Panpiper

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2020, 02:36:30 PM »

(the artefact is consumed in the process)

Thank you.  Will the quest repeat so we can reacquire the necessary artifacts?

Thief of Time

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2020, 04:50:04 PM »

Thank you.  Will the quest repeat so we can reacquire the necessary artifacts?
Yes, you can also get artefacts from exploration, because they were added to loot from old stations and planetary ruins (things you generally go looking for in search for a nanoforge or AI cores).
The "Scared spacer" quest is infinitely repeatable, you just need to find another spacer, your colonies will even have them occasionally.
A small tip: you can use AI cores in terraforming structures and they are returned to planetary storage when it's project is finished and structure erases itself. Alpha Core doubles the speed at which terraforming structures work (you still need the artefact to go past 50% completion, but if you have it, the whole thing will finish in half the time, and you get to keep and reuse the core).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27