Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fix ally fleets letting enemy go when joining battle  (Read 813 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Fix ally fleets letting enemy go when joining battle
« on: January 03, 2020, 03:44:07 AM »

Recent complaint in Nexerelin thread:

I'm running into an annoying bug, a bug as I see it. Hegemony pickets are attacking Skathi. It has a low tech orbital station. When the pickets are engaged in battle, I click on them to join battle, but I keep getting the message that the orbital station is letting them go and I can only leave the dialogue. The pickets then fly around a bit but keep coming back to the station and the station is apparently letting them go each time I try to engage the pickets while they are engaged with the station.
This is indeed annoying when it happens.

Two things that could be done:
  • If the allies decide to let the enemies go, perhaps the player should have an option to pursue alone.
  • If the allies let the enemies go and player doesn't/can't pursue, the existing battle should break up (then the player can personally chase the enemy fleet(s) down on campaign layer, or they'll at least run away and go somewhere else). That's kind of what it means when the enemy fleet is allowed to leave, after all. (nvm, it already works this way in vanilla)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 05:41:44 PM by Histidine »

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Fix ally fleets letting enemy go when joining battle
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 09:55:33 AM »

It's happened a few times to me as well. The first bullet point makes sense. The player should be able to pursue alone. If the player doesn't pursue, the fight should be broken up so the player can pursue the fleet.

The second bullet point already occurs does it not? I beleive the existing battle does breaks up and the the player can then personally chase the enemy fleet down on the campaign layer.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 10:54:11 AM »

Hmm, I thought the 2nd option already happened too, yeah. Not 100% sure, but looking at the code it looks like that outcome finishes the battle.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 05:40:59 PM »

Retested in a minimally modded scenario and it indeed works that way.
Hmm, I must have been misremembering the times I encountered this issue (and the user quoted doesn't report the issue either). Sorry! :-X

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 06:08:58 PM »

Ok, cool - thank you for confirming that this does indeed work :)