Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Where are the campaign skills located?  (Read 8387 times)

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
Where are the campaign skills located?
« on: November 25, 2018, 05:25:02 PM »

I was digging around in the data folders to edit the campaign skills as I normally do after playing vanilla for a few days upon update to move onto modded - but I can't find anything containing their values anymore.

I was going to edit some of the skills to be less complete waste of skill points (having to sink 3 skills for no benefit is like pulling teeth) and get back some of that lost OP overhead from high levels for all those hullmods that are actually useful now, but everything in the data folder is just a reference to something in the api?

tzuridis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Where are the campaign skills located?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 01:43:58 PM »

starsector/data/characters/skills/

Has the skills, but they refer back to plugins. My guess is you have to edit those java files.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 01:32:32 AM »

unzip starfarer.api.zip, which is found in the root folder of the game.

That contains all the implementation of the plugins and stuff that you'll want to override and things.

I suspect the ones you want are at com\fs\starfarer\api\impl\campaign\skills, there's tons of java files there that cover how the skills actually work.

Thanks for making this post as I too had forgotten where they were, and I'm about to try making a skills mod, so this was pretty useful reminder for me too :)

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 07:20:16 AM »

Yeah, I'd unzipped it and found them before posting this, but I'll be honest - I have no idea how to implement it BACK from those files anymore - I've no familiarity with this language.

More than a cursory effort to play around with them has defeated my overwhelming laziness, so default skills, we meet again. I do so miss being able to properly outfit every slot on my ships once late game comes around, but it is what it is.

Looking forward to the skill mod, hope you include some fun campaign layer stuff (like ways to increase efficiency of your ships more, put to work all that heavy industry and useless crew sucking up spacebucks to mine some asteroid belts in the boonies to fill up your supplies, and so on)

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 04:06:47 PM »

Posting this as it seems useful to anyone else interested in modding skills - You must compile it, and then point the skill at it by changing the .skill file, and as I discovered, THEN you have to tell your mod_info that your new .skill file should replace instead of merge with the original.  Otherwise you get the new skill and the old one at the same time, which plays merry havoc with the tooltips and descriptions let alone the actual effects. 

That was fun to discover.

SYDWAD

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 12:34:04 AM »

Posting this as it seems useful to anyone else interested in modding skills

Ya i have no modding skills whatsoever so if someone could make a point by point mini tutorial on how to do this i would love that, i tried to do what you guys were talking about but am completely lost.

What im trying to do is add more administrators per colony management skill to see how balanced it would feel. And maybe allow administrators each handle two colonies if i can but not sure how to do that.

ASSIMKO

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 12:15:46 PM »

unzip starfarer.api.zip, which is found in the root folder of the game.

That contains all the implementation of the plugins and stuff that you'll want to override and things.

I suspect the ones you want are at com\fs\starfarer\api\impl\campaign\skills, there's tons of java files there that cover how the skills actually work.

Thanks for making this post as I too had forgotten where they were, and I'm about to try making a skills mod, so this was pretty useful reminder for me too :)

I'm already waiting for this skill mod

Gitsum

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 08:30:12 PM »

Semi-related- I found skill activation timers in a CSV file via the directory below. I opened it with a text editor and found "Transverse Jump,fracture_jump,DURATION,"stealth-, burn+",0.4,,0.001,0.1,0.5"

Changing the values to 0.001 resulted in Traverse Jumping ability to instantly activate. Yes, its "cheating" but I kinda found the ability lacking in the get-away department.
I also would like to point out that I changed the timers without even knowing what the values are specifically for.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\data\campaign
There you will find a CSV file called "abilities"

Honestly if they made the Traverse Jumping ability instantly active with a massive cost or damage that would be dope. Forcing a fleet to make an unprepared jump would realistically have huge consequences.

Im new to modding, would like to see Traverse Jumping reworked.