Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: This is the game I have been looking for my whole life  (Read 1653 times)

henryho96

• Ensign
    • View Profile
This is the game I have been looking for my whole life
« on: December 31, 2019, 07:39:52 AM »

I grew up reading scifi and space operas, like David Weber, Elizabeth Moon, John Ringo and my absolute favourite Randolph Lalonde.

Lalonde created a universe almost exactly the same as Starsector with his novel series The Spinward Fringe. If you are a fan of this game and the lore I would strongly suggest having a look at that series. Even the prequel books are free.

That universe Lalonde created was where you can have a ship, modify it to your hearts content, with all the low tech and high tech and fighters, and go out into the great beyond ruled by Mega-Corp and Multi-System Alliances. Where you can trade, smuggle, kill or build your way into a a force that can be reckon with in the sector. And this game is it. The moment I realised the degree of freedom you have in this game I immediately bought it. Never have I ever buy a game this quickly before.

The only thing that I missed from the series that I would like in this game is the ability to modify fighter hulls and modify weapons mount. And boarding but you guys have beaten that horse to the ground already. I just want to say thank you for this game. God I wish I could afford to give you more money for creating a game that gives substance to a game of my dream.

n3xuiz

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: This is the game I have been looking for my whole life
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 09:09:34 AM »

i wholeheartedly agree. i also read a lot of sci-fi and i enjoy post-apocalyptic / grim future kind of content. also ever since i watched stargate series space battles (and to a lesser extent other shows and movies) i wanted to be able to play that kind of game. i loved Sins of a Solar Empire and Distant Worlds but this is even better.

also Happy New Year to this awesome community thanks to Alex and the whole modding community for making this awesome game even better.

:)  :-*  ;D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 09:16:15 AM »

Welcome to the forum, and thank you! <3

Happy New Year, everyone! Well, I suppose at this point it's happy upcoming new year :)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 09:53:50 AM »

Happy new year and welcome to the forum!

Looks like I have a new author to check out as well...  ;D

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 08:59:03 AM »

Many games have similar ideas or universe, but I think it is the implementation of the ideas which makes Starsector stand out.

NorthernWatch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 11:02:14 PM »

Ive been following this for 7yrs now and I totally agree its one of the best
But dam that Single Core Anti AMD OpenGLU!!!

Also do know that ive only started playing with mods a few months ago while the rest of my years of following and playing I only been in Vanilla XD

n3xuiz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 11:07:43 PM »

yeah i feel like the best games (indie) often suffer from singlethreaded engines. like kenshi for example. a dev with a great idea but not a lot of money and so you don't get Unreal Engine 16core capable sadly. maybe once the game goes 1.0 and hits steam (or other platforms) it will give the Alex a influx of cash to maybe improve the performance in the long run.