Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Soloing the Remnant Battlestation  (Read 12522 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Soloing the Remnant Battlestation
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 01:28:31 PM »

Sundog, you should try practising against battlestations. No, really! They spit out a lot of firepower and don't really go anywhere, so they are, uh, "good" because you can get a lot of flux quickly. In duels with other ships... You really don't want to duel anyone. You want the engagement to be as unfair as possible, and not in your favour. Just remember to raid Culann for Excelsior blueprint or savescum a lot, because you are going to die a lot.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 01:32:42 PM »

It's possible to beat an Onslaught in a fair fight with a Buffalo Mk. II. Someone made a similar video of it at one point, but I can't seem to find it.

I don't think this particular trick is possible anymore. It relied on luring the Onslaught into a nebula to make it even slower.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 02:06:57 PM »

I don't think this particular trick is possible anymore. It relied on luring the Onslaught into a nebula to make it even slower.
That makes sense. I do recall it requiring a very specific set of maneuvers. Do you remember who did it?

@SCC: Practicing against battlestations does make a lot of sense... I might just try that at some point. I know Excelsiors are best when outmatched, but I've never properly committed to learning how to use them. They're a lot of fun, but I tend to run iron mode games, which makes them fairly impractical.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2020, 02:11:52 PM »

That makes sense. I do recall it requiring a very specific set of maneuvers. Do you remember who did it?
(Not sure of this, but) I think it was Gothars.  It relied on slowing Onslaught down by luring it into nebula, when that was a thing.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2020, 02:43:21 PM »

@SCC: Practicing against battlestations does make a lot of sense... I might just try that at some point. I know Excelsiors are best when outmatched, but I've never properly committed to learning how to use them. They're a lot of fun, but I tend to run iron mode games, which makes them fairly impractical.
The best practice environment for learning the Excelsior is a pirate station bounty. Everything you're fighting is slow, d-modded, and low-tech; there's no fast strike fighters, no beams, and there's a whole lot of slow unguided ordinance for you to eat. The biggest threat is going to be Talons, and they're likely running on a d-modded carrier and thus much slower than usual. It's a near-perfect playground for the Excelsior's mechanics.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2020, 06:56:56 PM »

Pretty sure its easier to solo a remnant battlestation with a capital than with excelsior

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2020, 11:11:10 PM »

Destroying a few pirate frigates is already a challenge with the Excelsior.
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."
Pages: 1 [2]