Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I miss environmental effects in combat  (Read 3768 times)

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
Re: I miss environmental effects in combat
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2020, 06:22:21 PM »

Most space is empty, but in the parts that *aren't* empty (around planets, in asteroid/salvage fields), there is scope to introduce interesting and impactful mechanics. Not hard to avoid these if you aren't a fan of them - simply don't fight in locations with a lot of local debris.

I don't think this runs counter to the aim that Alex has for combat in Starsector either. The use of nebulae and battle objectives shows that he *does* want some tactical variation across engagements. To me, the addition of larger debris would be a simple and effective tactical twist.

I agree, larger debris when in combat inside of debris fields or asteroid belts would be much more interesting, forcing players to rely on missiles and long range weapons less... although it would feel semi forced as actual debris/asteroids would be spaced pretty far apart.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: I miss environmental effects in combat
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 12:25:49 AM »

The number of times I've seen debris from ships I've destroyed drift RIGHT into my firing arc RIGHT when I need it not to is maddening, but then again I've gotten pretty good at shieldkicking said debris right at the enemy to block at least as many of their shots so...tit for tat as they say.

Would be fascinating to see some kind of gravity gun ship that can grab asteroids and fling them hard enough to deal damage though  ;D

COSMIC DODGEBALL COMMENCE!
Pages: 1 [2]