Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is it OK to make the mod about EVE?  (Read 2824 times)

voltaxic_rift

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Is it OK to make the mod about EVE?
« on: December 29, 2019, 11:25:37 AM »

main problem about legal and copyright.

EVE is the famous spaceship game and I really want that we could use these on starsector. But there is no mod about it so far. And in fact, there are no mod just imitate other games' ships or weapon.
So are there some rules that let players only could make original mod? or just people don't want to do it?

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Is it OK to make the mod about EVE?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 11:30:50 AM »

I'm not super familiar with the legal stuff but I can answer part of your question. And that is I've seen ''inspirations'' from different games, like Star wars ships, FTL ships, and I think there was even a Star trek mod once (maybe I'm remembering wrong). I don't think any of those people got into trouble for just making a mod that's not getting money. I suppose it's only an issue when you want to make a standalone game or something but that's obviously a different topic
Please don't take me too seriously.

NorthernWatch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 01:06:38 PM »

Theres been many mods imitating other games and theres been no complains about this except for when your making something similar to Nintendo was it? Correct me if im wrong but there was one company that would force you to shut it down if you ever make an imitation of theirs.
But other than that you should be free to make whatever you want

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 01:31:21 PM »

You arent likely to cause alex any problems by making your mod. Though you could if you distribute it here and eve’s devs care enough. If its merely “inspired by” and doesnt use any of the games assets or copyrighted names you can probably make whatever you want.

Either way, if you do make it dont be terribly surprised if it fails for legal reasons even if its unlikely to do so.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 02:44:53 PM »

It's okay, until they hit you over with a DMCA, then it isn't. The reason why there are no mods for other games isn't because of legal issues, but because people with drive, will and skill to make good mods want to make mods that are their own.

Sharmanti

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 10:48:42 AM »

Pretty sure you can do a mod about anything without any legal issues. As long as it's free. Even if it's not free, as long as it's not referencing EVE directly, you can pretty much do what you want as long as you're not copying their code. Which I don't think you will since you know, EVE is a 3D mmo and this is a SP 2D game.

kmunoz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 07:07:38 PM »

That is incorrect.

First of all, "fair use" (which is usually what is being suggested when someone says "as long as it's free") requires more than just the product being free. A free product adds to the likelihood of something being fair use, but it's insufficient. (And in fact there are many, many instances of fair use where the product is not free. "Free" is neither necessary nor sufficient for something to fall under fair use.)

Secondly, intellectual property rights extend beyond simple copyright protection in the ways that most people think of copyright.

Legally speaking, barring consent from the original creator of the work, there is no mod based on an existing property, for this game or any other, that would be considered non-infringing in the U.S. Not one, not now, not ever. At any point, any IP owner (commercial or otherwise) could lay down a world of hurt on people making Star Wars mods, Star Trek mods, EVE mods, any mod of any kind for any game and of any size, if it's based on someone else's work. It's irresponsible to suggest otherwise. Now it may be entirely true that no one will ever come after someone for making an EVE mod, but OP's question was about "legal and copyright" - whether it is legal and not a breach of copyright law to create such a mod.

And the answer, always, is "no."

MaGicBush

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 03:42:18 PM »

That's a bit excessive honestly. Disney is not going to come in here and slap a person with a law suit just because they make a Star Wars mod for Star Sector, nor would any other IP/studio. Now you may end up with a cease and desist, but that just means you have to delete your work and stop what your doing. As long as you follow that and stop you wont get in any trouble. The odds of even getting that are slim as well unless your mod gets super popular, but games like Stellaris have Star Wars mods that are very popular and do just fine.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 03:43:56 PM by MaGicBush »

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 04:09:44 PM »

It's rarely worth anyone's time unless there are provable (usually monetary) damages, because not all infringement is actionable. But a large corporation with deep pockets is more likely than not to go beyond a C&D if there's competition with a current or planned product.

It burns a lot of audience goodwill, and that's definitely not worth it to most rights-holders, so it tends to be a last resort. Most of the time a simple C&D is sufficient, clears up the problem, and no suit is required. Free mods are usually not worth the trouble, no matter how infringing they are, but that doesn't mean they're okay, legally - just that the rights holder has elected to ignore them.

As far as why these mods don't exist for Starsector, it's simple; people who want them aren't willing or able to make them, and people who are able mostly have our hands full with our own ideas. So, nothing's stopping you, OP; make the mod you want to exist. Sit down and start making some EVE ships and weapons.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 10:20:55 PM »

kmunoz is answering the question as asked and that's appreciated.

Regarding Eve ships in game; Eve ships look great in 3d and would probably look terrible in 2d (top down anyway) save for a few exceptions.  So with that in mind you're probably better off going with the "inspired by" route anyway.

FWIW In the past Eve has allowed, upon request, people to use in game assets to make free mods in other games. But we're talking like 2005 in the past, so the answer might be different these days.

diegonv40

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 09:55:33 AM »

Hi! I have the same ask about this:

I have taken the music mod galatia, and used it as template to add music from the soundtrack of the games Homeworld1, Homeworld2 and Homeworld Cataclysm.

The music fits perfect 10/10 with starsector (different styles which i have classified them: lonely for hyperspace, misterious for star map, moved for battle).

I want share it but i think it will give problems. What thinks about it?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 01:21:57 PM »

Hi diegonv40. It is forum policy not to host links to mods with copyrighted music, so please don't post a sharing link here.

diegonv40

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 05:13:09 PM »

Hi diegonv40. It is forum policy not to host links to mods with copyrighted music, so please don't post a sharing link here.
Oh ok, no problem