Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: A High-Tech battleship  (Read 8938 times)

Vakuza

• Ensign
    • View Profile
A High-Tech battleship
« on: March 19, 2012, 10:13:22 AM »

I was messing around in GIMP and had a go at making a ship for starfarer. I will update it with better graphics eventually but this is what it looks like a.t.m Tell me what you think, and feel free to add it to any mods, just give me the credit if you do so ^^

A very high-tech Battle-ship designed to cripple any ship with lasers alone. It doesn't have many flux vents, but its capacitors are extremely large to compensate, meaning it can last long battles without having to lower its shields.

6 Large Energy slots
4 Medium Energy slots
8 Small Energy slots
2 Large Missile slots
4 Medium Missile solts
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:38:20 AM by Vakuza »

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: A High-Tech battlecruiser
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 10:18:55 AM »

This looks more like a battleship to me.....

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 10:23:42 AM »

That is definitely a battleship, and, if I may proffer a suggestion, clean up your lines a little. I can see the rags on the edges, and the weapon mounts, which are original art, stick out unpleasantly.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Vakuza

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 10:24:47 AM »

Battle-cruiser/Battle-ship what's the difference? Either way, it's pretty damn big.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 10:26:17 AM »

Hope you don't mind - I've moved this to the modding sub-forum, should be a better fit in here  :)

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 10:31:23 AM »

Battle-cruiser/Battle-ship what's the difference? Either way, it's pretty damn big.

A battleship is a full armed and armored ship of the line. It's designed to throw out a lot of hurt, and take a lot of hurt. A battlecruiser is a fully armed, but not fully armored capital ship designed to be able to outgun anything that it engages and outrun anything it can't outgun. It's also, by most counts, a failed concept in naval history, with some hilarious cases where removing the armor of a battleship to get a battlecruiser caused the ship the capsize when its guns fired, but you get the basic gist.

They are not the same thing. Videogames have just tricked you into thinking that they are because they think 'battlecruiser' is a cooler word.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

megal00t

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 10:33:51 AM »

yeaa battlecruisers are a (sub)battleship class of ships in the navy who sacrificed high caliber guns for smaller ones for more speed...

SkidWonderKid

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: A High-Tech battleship
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 11:11:44 AM »

Looks good. Organic shape and design, its unique enough to easily be identified as different than the stock races or ships.

Couple suggestions; (Like Iscariot recommended) clean up your silhouette, a black outline would help make it pop (not sure how well that would show on the space background though). A greater variance in color value would make it stand out more. The 'veins' (Light blue lines) on the ship would be more pronounced if you used complimentary colors. For your shadowing try to add a touch of noise. Then some small details to add more personality to the ship, pipes, grooves, notches, vents, armor plates, windows, etc. The secret to this is to "tell a story" through pieces on the ship, have an internal dialogue with yourself as you add details and make that conversation relate to the details and their purpose in the design of the ship.

Like I mentioned earlier though you have a unique look and feel to your starting image. Keep it up :)

A side note, when designing for pixel art figure out your final image size, then paint your target at 4 times this size. Then when your done reduce the image by a multiple of 4 and pixels will be much more crisp and blended than by any other size variation. Imagine 4 pixels in a square formation when they are averaged and dropped by 4 they will become one pixel which is the average color/hue/value of the first 4. If your in Photoshop try playing with the bicubic sharper (in image resize window) when your change the size of your image.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:16:51 AM by SkidWonderKid »

SCore

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: A High-Tech battleship
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 04:51:47 PM »

Love the ship man! ;D It is very good and I am going to use it but not in any mod only for my personal use.