Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: no mouse  (Read 3234 times)

paulblart

• Ensign
    • View Profile
no mouse
« on: December 25, 2019, 05:54:55 PM »

I just bought the game and no matter what I do there is no mouse cursor. I've tried changing my cursor outside of the game and even with the most vanilla cursor it won't work. I've tried looking into the config files for a line about the mouse and didn't find one. any help is appreciated.

Edit: updated mouse drivers and reinstalled game. Now it somehow works worse because it crashes if I try and launch it with sound which it didn't before.

Edit 2: I have a mouse cursor in windowed mode with a resolution lower than my monitor's. I found a thread that suggested that and it's going to be the only way I can play but at least it works!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 06:38:47 PM by paulblart »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: no mouse
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 09:35:52 PM »

Hi - sorry about the trouble! Not sure what the issue is, but for the next release, I've added a config setting that basically leaves the mouse cursor alone, so that might help work around it in your case. Glad you have a workaround of sorts for the time being.

paulblart

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 11:18:21 PM »

Hi - sorry about the trouble! Not sure what the issue is, but for the next release, I've added a config setting that basically leaves the mouse cursor alone, so that might help work around it in your case. Glad you have a workaround of sorts for the time being.

Thanks Alex! Great game btw glad it's running now!

atreat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 07:19:49 AM »

...any other suggestions on this?
I have tried lowering my resolution when I start the game (yes, all of them), fullscreen on/off, changing the compatibility settings for Admin, high DPI, Windows 8, etc... is there a suggested combination of settings?
please help...   ???
ATreat

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 08:18:16 AM »

Hmm - do you have any custom/non-standard OS settings relating to the mouse pointer, or any custom software installed that might affect it? That's the only thing that comes to mind right now.

Just to confirm, you're not even seeing a cursor when running in windowed mode in a smaller window? What happens when you move the mouse into the window - the cursor just disappears?

atreat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 10:26:37 AM »

8)
So i was just not seeing the mouse at all... i would guess to where it is because when the 'invisa-mouse' went over something it would click and change color. BUT ... i now figured out that if i give admin rights to the exe and add the -w to the target, then dont choose full screen and play in any resolution other than my screen max i SEE THE MOUSE!!
onward and upward!
 :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 11:03:54 AM »

Huh, interesting. What's -w do, if you don't mind? Can't seem to find it from some (fairly cursory, admittedly) googling.

atreat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 05:03:58 AM »

the -w is a switch/option at the end of your target in a shortcut... so; go to the properties of your shortcut and find the "Target:" box. It will have something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector.exe" -w
place the -w there after the last " to open the exe in windowed mode, a window instead of full screen. I would imagine the 'fullscreen' option when opening Starsector does the same thing, but it didn't make a difference for me until I used the -w switch.
it took me over 30 minutes to find a link, so don't feel bad :)
https://www.lifewire.com/computer-game-windowed-mode-837057

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 09:16:41 AM »

Ahh, ok, got it - thank you very much for clarifying! Yeah, odd that that's different than simply running with fullscreen unchecked, you'd think that'd be the same thing. Good to know.

Naeva

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 07:46:18 PM »

Just like to add my voice to this. I have a 1920x1080 screen and I'm running windows 10 build 0.9.1a, if I try to run in 1920x1080 either windowed or fullscreen both actually open full screen and sometimes I have no mouse cursor till I restart my computer.

Curiously if I alt tab into the application there is a cursor present for a split second (also the cursor is in the correct art style, not a default windows one).

I haven't been able to work out what triggers the initial cursor hiding though :(

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 08:52:28 PM »

Sorry about the trouble, and thank you for chiming in! Hopefully the config setting in the next release would be a workaround, but I'll keep an eye out for anything else I might do...

Naeva

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 01:49:24 AM »

Ah! I think I figured out the condition that triggers it.

Leaving the computer running for a while without providing input.

Could be some windows sleep/powersaving thing or possibly my mouse's sleep function kicking in.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 09:35:14 AM »

Hmm, interesting. I wonder if there's anything short of a restart than can fix it.

xelo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 10:45:59 PM »

Hello

I have a similar problem.
During a battle the mouse pointer disappears sometimes and doesn't come back until a restart of the game.
This happens ALWAYS while in combat, NEVER in campaign until now and maybe in one of 20 or 30 battles.

I use a mouse pointer hiding tool called "AutoHideMouseCursor" [1] but even after deactivating and deinstalling this tool the problem persists and is really annoying while in huge battles.
It seems, the problem occurs only if playing for many many hours. I used to keep the game running for days sometimes, minimized on desktop for many hours* while surfing, working, mailing,...
At least I can't remember to get the pointer lost in a fresh instance of starsector.exe

For me it isn't a huge problem.
Maybe only my machine is having this problem, but maybe this hint can help to find this issue if someone has the same problem.

Win7-64 Ultimate
Intel i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
nVidia/ASUS GTX 1070
16 GB Ram

starsector.exe runs as a borderless window 1980x1024 on a dual monitor setup, but only using one of them. The other one is mostly in use by other means, f.e. a screenshot of the starsector starmap with my notifications.

Mods: Maaaaany :)

Maybe problematic software which is installed:
- AutoHideMouseCursor (as mentioned above)
- Fraps (installed, but not running)
- MSI Afterburner & RivaTNT (installed, but not running)

If there are other informations necessary, please don't hesitate to ask. I will try to provide any information possible.

Thank you

* And thank you by the way for going to sleep while minimized. Saves lot of electric energy and works pretty nice on my computer. Lots of games need lots of cpu/gfx power even if minimized. But not star sector. So... thank you!

[1] http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Microsoft/AutoHideMouseCursor

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 10:40:55 AM »

Thanks for the added info! Nothing I can really do anything about, right, but it's good to have.

* And thank you by the way for going to sleep while minimized. Saves lot of electric energy and works pretty nice on my computer. Lots of games need lots of cpu/gfx power even if minimized. But not star sector. So... thank you!

(If we're being perfectly honest, I did that because I realized I was keeping it on and in the background pretty often while working on it, and it was slowly cooking my graphics card... :))
Pages: [1] 2