Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Balancing fighter swarms with out nerfing fighters  (Read 21600 times)

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Balancing fighter swarms with out nerfing fighters
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2019, 09:59:51 AM »

That's only because flux stats for ships at their base level is so low that you mostly need to put them into caps and vents.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Astyanax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2019, 11:35:49 AM »

I'm not too well-versed with fighter mechanics, but...

Would increased CR decay for fighters work? This would limit their effective range and duration.

Fighters also aren't supposed to be self-sufficient, so returning to a hangar would reset their CR, and, if more balancing is needed, replace destroyed fighters (instead of field replacements).

EDIT- perhaps resetting fighter CR and replacing destroyed fighters could modestly reduce the carrier's CR, instead of reducing the replacement rate?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 11:43:08 AM by Astyanax »

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2019, 11:42:11 AM »

Add a limit to the number of active squadrons that can be deployed at once before degrading fighter performance.  Perhaps a max of 10-12? squadrons deployed at once then start applying penalties to fighter performance as the number increase.

I wonder if making fighters collide with each other would prevent them from swarming at the volume where fighter blob becomes an issue.

(I vaguely suspect the main side effect would be killing CPU when fighter AI has to take collision avoidance into account)

I suppose at the very least if they can't shoot while stacked, that should be close enough.

While I agree with the overall idea of reducing spamming effectiveness and think that is the appropriate place to target balance changes to fighters, the above implementations have more potential problems than I think is worth the effort.

1) In the case of global wing limiters: similar to the CR mechanic (A historically polarizing update to the community) these types of mechanics run the risk of feeling like gimmicks purely for the sake of game play balance. You can explain them away with lore or WWII examples possibly, but I think its going to feel weird to the player anyway because its a relatively arbitrary global limiter.

2) In the case of stacked fighter collisions and stuff like that, there is the performance issue with collision avoidance and the addition of a new layer of balance to consider. This balance layer scales exponentially rather than linearly. What I mean by that is there will be a sweet spot of fighter numbers that maintain optimal effectiveness, but once the threshold is crossed suddenly the effectiveness completely tanks. Not a good feeling for the player in my opinion.

3) You have to effectively and intuitively explain this information to the player. Just like how supplies per day UI can be confusing to new players, all players are going to see is that "as I get more fighters they get worse for some reason." You might assume a player would ask about it on the forum, but I believe the statistic iirc is around 6 players will feel the same way but only 1 out of those 6 will investigate on average. The others will likely just assume fighters are bad and not use them.

4) Spamming all fighters shouldn't be the obvious best strategy by any means, but I would caution against design changes that outright force or overly encourage certain play styles. It feels a little like railroading away from fighters on purpose just because they are strong now. Nothing is outright forced at the moment, it just so happens that a fighter strategy is optimal and so some players feel subjectively forced to use them in order to feel optimal. My advice is to dampen that feeling without railroading away from the fighter play style on purpose.

5) Finally, and arguably less important, there is modding to consider. The above proposed changes would at best require modders to work around them for fighter heavy mods, and at worst kill those types of mods altogether.

My proposed solution:

There's only so many ships that can fire on a single target, and even when they are together they have to watch out for friendly fire. Fighters have virtually infinite force concentration and no friendly fire. That's the main issue, besides AI ships not dealing with fighters especially well.

I personally think AI tweaks are the best route to take here. Instead of reducing fighter effectiveness when stacking or causing losses and performance hits by implementing fighter collisions, instead limit the number of wings that can be active on any one target (by hullsize). So fighters are no longer overly spammable on any one target instead of just globally. This would sort of act as a soft limit, however, in that if a single carrier has more wings than the limit for a single ship, that is ok and won't cause a penalty, but no other carriers will be able to send their wings against that same target or can be assigned to the same fighter strike order. Attempting to do so fails and gives a brief "you can't do that" sound effect. Actually, I've thought about it and that could grow frustrating if you needed a specific vessels' fighters to engage a specific target due to tactical necessity. Instead, new fighter strike orders override old orders but the soft limit prevents over-saturation as was the original intention. I think that tidies up that issue I hope.

(The way to teach new players this mechanic could be included in a simple popup the first time a player issues a fighter strike order on a "saturated" target.)

I think the idea of "target saturation" is more intuitive than seeing your fighters get weaker or completely ineffective when clumped. The same reasons (fighter coordination etc) apply and hullmods could reduce the number of active wings allowed on the ship for better fighter defense ship-to-ship.

It would help if there was some "general fighter behaviour" setting (for entire fleet or for individual ships — preferably the latter), where you could either pick force concentration or distributed presence.

This also makes the AI spread out fighters kind like the distributed idea above, and allows for fighter strikes (force projection) to be balanced more easily without worrying about the critical mass problem. If you can calculate exactly how many fighters of each type can actually strike at one time, then as long as PD can handle that specific amount unless otherwise distracted (like by an enemy combat vessel or missile spam) fighters should theoretically feel like they are in a very good spot.

Rough example of wing limits off the top of my head:

Frigate: 3 wings
Destroyer: 5 wings
Cruiser: 8 wings
Capital: 12 wings
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 11:47:31 PM by Morrokain »

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2019, 04:18:55 PM »

+1 to that suggestion. I forgot to mention it in my post but the real issue with the "critical mass" thing is that it seems AI tries to assign as many fighters as possible to attack 1 ship at a time. Spreading out that distribution would help tons
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 04:22:22 PM by shoi »

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2019, 12:50:34 AM »

So in other words.. introducing a system that will artificially bottleneck single-target fighter swarms.

I guess it can be explained reasonably well. But I don't think this is a good direction to take on principle. You don't have a limit for # of destroyers ganging up on a frigate, either. The numbers game and the tactical application of it is at the core of winning battles, and this suggestion is going completely the other way. It's like nursery school for fighters. If I bring a fleet with 20 fighter squadrons and I have a single target selected for fighter strike, I want them all to strike that target. Unfair situations happen constantly in this game, and it's up to the player to deal with them. If you overextend and find yourself in the middle of a dozen fighter swarms in a frigate, guess what, you're supposed to die.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 12:52:05 AM by Schwartz »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2019, 01:16:04 AM »

It's actually way more likely for the player to exploit this, than the AI. Only Persean League gets close to fighter spam and even then, they don't go to the extremes the player can.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2019, 01:41:47 AM »

Yeah, that would look as stupid as a typical Dynasty Warriors game - horde of enemies in front of you, politely waiting for their turn to attack.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2019, 01:45:24 AM »

It's actually way more likely for the player to exploit this, than the AI. Only Persean League gets close to fighter spam and even then, they don't go to the extremes the player can.

See: Pretty much all endgame Tri-Tach bounty fleets.

If by exploiting you mean purposefully massing fighters on single targets, well, neither the player nor the AI can actually direct fighters with pinpoint accuracy anymore... they do what they want, and if that happens to be piling on a single target, that's that then. The player can certainly try by bringing tons of them and then only selecting one target for fighter strike, but I would be surprised if that worked as well as I made it out to be.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2019, 09:40:07 AM »

Yeah, that would look as stupid as a typical Dynasty Warriors game - horde of enemies in front of you, politely waiting for their turn to attack.

So a magical dampening field to fighter strength as they grow in numbers is the answer then?? That's not stupid?

You don't have a limit for # of destroyers ganging up on a frigate, either. The numbers game and the tactical application of it is at the core of winning battles, and this suggestion is going completely the other way. It's like nursery school for fighters. If I bring a fleet with 20 fighter squadrons and I have a single target selected for fighter strike, I want them all to strike that target. Unfair situations happen constantly in this game, and it's up to the player to deal with them. If you overextend and find yourself in the middle of a dozen fighter swarms in a frigate, guess what, you're supposed to die.

Right. But there isn't a balance issue with ganging up on a frigate with destroyers because there is a realistic limit through spacial collisions to how many destroyers you can bring. You simply can't do that with fighters without causing more problems.

The point is to solve the balance problem without some arbitrary wing number limitation reducing damage... that just doesn't make sense by your own admission through the above post.  It will be confusing and counter-intuitive.

10 fighter wings kill a frigate in 5 seconds. 20 fighter wings kill a frigate in 10 seconds... see what I mean?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 09:49:03 AM by Morrokain »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2019, 11:02:48 AM »

Well, there's always going the route that Company of Heroes did to combat Pioneer spam - in there, Pioneers suffer a 5% damage received debuff for every other Pioneer unit within 10m.  Maybe something like that could take into effect when there's more than 3 fighter wings in the same general screen space?  Of course all the numbers could be tweaked, but what about the general idea of it?

Very first reply and, while not perfect, IMO the best suggestion in here.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2019, 11:04:26 AM »

That feels like a 'too much fun' penalty to me.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2019, 12:31:09 PM »

^ Agreed. The beatings of Fun will continue until morale improves... :P

In all seriousness though, again, how can a mechanic like that result in intuitive game play learning? Its directly counter to that concept. I just can't justify it any other way at the moment. I'm not saying people shouldn't try and convince me or anything, but right now I fail to see a compelling counter-argument for this important issue.

*EDIT* (Wanted to also make it known that my own suggestion definitely has its own flaws and I recognize that. Really not trying to be a jerk, here, if that is the impression some are getting, but I do want to challenge things that I foresee causing a lot of negative feedback in the future. This is my opinion of course, but I try and choose these kinds of "battles" wisely. Just a disclaimer on intent. :) )
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 12:41:44 PM by Morrokain »

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2019, 12:55:51 PM »

Radical solution:

Turn fighters into mere recievers of the carrier's energy. Flux generation is proportional to a normal weapon rate and a distance-from-carrier based multiplier.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2019, 09:44:20 AM »

Well, there's always going the route that Company of Heroes did to combat Pioneer spam - in there, Pioneers suffer a 5% damage received debuff for every other Pioneer unit within 10m.  Maybe something like that could take into effect when there's more than 3 fighter wings in the same general screen space?  Of course all the numbers could be tweaked, but what about the general idea of it?

Very first reply and, while not perfect, IMO the best suggestion in here.
I would think that as not a good suggestion as it is anti-intuitive and oddly specific. The player doesn't have fine control of the position of units like you would in Company of Heroes.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2019, 11:03:35 AM »

I wonder if there's a way of making any weapon deal splash damage or gaining passthrough, but only to fighters?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13