Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Nerf Doom mines insta-kill-ability  (Read 6573 times)

33k7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Nerf Doom mines insta-kill-ability
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2019, 05:22:08 PM »

I don't think they should be touched at all the fighting system is perfectly balanced in vanilla. as all things should be.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2019, 03:21:38 AM »

Sight radius is 3000 and Doom mine strike range is 1500. What happened in the intervening 1500 distance? It's entirely avoidable.

Meanwhile Remnant battlestation shoots from outside of sight radius and Tachyon Lance can instantly kill frigates and some bomber can easily destroy frigates. Those are much more worthy "unavoidable" frigate death problems.

That said I don't think a Doom should be able to activate mine strike ability whilst phased, but I suppose it does as it ties into the idea of mines phasing in.

Sharmanti

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2019, 10:17:47 AM »

My fav ship is the Doom. But the mines can be very abusive. They completely annihilate fighters/bombers and can evaporate most smaller ships sooner or later.

That said, doom is not a cheap ship. It's expensive to deploy and expensive/hard to get. I mosly think the smaller phase ships are way more broken due to the amount of effort you need to put in to take them down. Sure it takes a lot of effort to chase down a doom. But it's a big expensive ship. It's worth chasing down. Shades and afflictors and whatnot takes just as long and the reward is a dead frigate.

One thing I'd be able to agree with a nerf on is the recharge rate of the mines. You have 5 max and I'm pretty sure you can spawn up to 11 before the first one goes boom. The recharge rate is exceptionally good because of the phase mechanic.

In the end I think, it should just be more expensive than it already is. I don't want it nerfed. It's the most technologically advanced ship in the game.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2019, 05:58:06 AM »

I would not want the mines hurt if it means Star Fortress gets worse mines too.

Doom is practically a capital ship in terms of power, and Alex wanted phase ships to be as strong as the next size up.

I mosly think the smaller phase ships are way more broken due to the amount of effort you need to put in to take them down.
Phase ships smaller than Doom are broken because the AI is incompetent and underperforms with them - a waste of a fleet slot that burns out PPT faster than everything else except maybe Hyperion.  Only when player pilots them can he make small phase ships good.  (But aside from Reaper Afflictor, I have better things to pilot, like a real capital.)

They are annoying to take down.  I tend to deathball or edge-camp (and maybe send fighters) until they lose the PPT war.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2019, 06:07:21 AM »

Low operational time ships are difficult to use for longer fights, especially if they are expected to do most of the fighting.

As missile boats or as support for flanking/mop up attacks they serve very well.

It is my opinion that they frankly don't serve very well beyond that, and certainly in AI's hands they don't like aggressive builds at all. A single fighter squadron can render them useless with the doom only be an exception due to having a weapon it can use while phased out. A rapid fire one at that.

Smaller phase ships die basically instantly if they can't phase and beyond packing a bunch of reaper torpedoes/AM blasters don't have the fire-power nor staying power to warrant having them over a different ship.

Dooms basically work by having a powerful weapon system and without it suffer just as much as any other phase ship in the game.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2019, 10:12:48 AM »

The Doom benefits from having a powerful ship system that the AI uses extremely well! The Afflictor has a very potent support system, but it does not use it very well because of how fast it wastes its PPT/CR.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]