Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Bad experience with Luddite Path and Pirates  (Read 8602 times)

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Bad experience with Luddite Path and Pirates
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2019, 09:03:43 PM »

Your allies are Pirates, Pathers and Independents. Befriend them. You can spare one of the major faction and take its commision. This way there will be no raids or expeditions. It was already said that pather cells are bugged so you can ignore them altogether.

xucthclu

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2019, 02:09:32 AM »

This is why I keep telling people that, especially if you have Nexerelin, get friendly with pirates, so you do not have to worry about them. Though, iirc Vayras Sector mod adds a fix of removing pirate and luddic path base spawns when they are exterminated entirely, I've yet to try that mod again and see if I don't end up having issues with it.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2019, 02:53:28 AM »

This is pretty much the reason why I installed the Nexerelin mod ( https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9175.0 ) . Both Pirates and Luddic Path stay dead the moment you either destroy or conquer all their core planets/bases and stop being an unstoppable zombie horde. I warmly recommend it in the next campaign you play since it requires a new save.
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2019, 06:08:19 AM »

Wow, it seems that people really like to take long winded and unnecessary actions to avoid something that isn't nearly as long winded to counter. Instead of destroying all core worlds and/or all pirate/luddic path colonies, you can build defences. Instead of befriending pirate and pathers, it is faster to wait till you can build defences. At this point you are just taking the longer and harder path.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2019, 06:40:15 AM »

Define "defences".

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2019, 06:48:23 AM »

In my last game, I played probably normally (except for raiding New Maxios a lot for blueprints), at first.  That is, do missions and kill pirates and bounties for income, explore a bit find a good world, build colony, stay below radar until colony is powerful enough to defend itself, in meantime kill more pirates and bounties.

After I reach the point when I can defeat endgame fleets and my colonies defend themselves, what is next?  It gets tiring spending the majority of my time traveling (with burn 20) to kill pirates because core worlds cannot defend themselves, then more time to fix problems with major factions because they refuse to leave me alone, and expeditions are too frequent to bribe away, not to mention paying extortion money leaves a bad feeling.  I should be the one extorting them when I am stronger than them and defending their sorry cowardly hides from pirates.  (I am not turning off Free Port when I want the growth boost to grow my colony faster.  Free Port is nearly half of all growth bonuses.)

I would like to explore more than a few distant systems before I get yet another alert of a pirate activity, pirate raid against core world (because core cannot defend themselves), expeditions, or whatever, then travel about half the sector to fix the problem.  It would be so nice to delegate NPC fleets from my faction to take care of problems.  NPC fleets #1 and #2, take out those pirate bases.  NPC fleet #3, sat bomb Sindria until it disappears from the map because the Diktat will not stop bothering me.  Now I can go exploring, doing quests, or killing Remnants.

If I want to use cores to colonize as much of the sector as I can, Hegemony becomes a headache.  Sure, I can bribe them away, but because bribing cannot be set to the default response (miss an alert and cores get taken), not to mention it is extortion money (again, bad taste), I like the more permanent solution of eradicating them from the sector so that I do not need to deal with inspections or bribes anymore.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2019, 07:18:15 AM »

Define "defences".
I've already posted that beforehand in the thread.
It's nowhere near as bad as megas describes. It takes a long while and lots of money and enough colonies in one system (lets say 4+) with High Command and with 3rd tier Orbital Station (Star Fortress) and you can just leave your colonies alone. They can and will defeat all raids and expeditions all on their own. As long as you are making money, you don't need to hunt down pirate stations and it takes a while for their stability and accessability malus to build up anyways. Never needed to, nor felt the need to destroy all expedition faction core worlds. I've never experienced this core worlds decivilising business either, even in games where I have explored half the map.

In your case, by the time you've completed the long slog to getting 51+ attitude to pirates and pathers, you could have a nice system with several colonies with several size 7 colonies with all the defences you want. And played several games of that, at that.

It doesn't even have to be size 7 for the 4 industries, it can easily be smaller if the system allows for many colonies. 6 of Size 5 colonies is enough for every colony to have a Star Fortress and High Command and each of the money making industries, and you don't even need that many High Command anyway. 

In Megas's case by the time you can wipe out the core worlds, you either have already built up or could have that nice system set up, instead of wondering where your income has vanished to. In his case, it's very much a situation of creating your own problem.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2019, 07:45:16 AM »

And how long does it take you to get these defences?

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2019, 10:28:50 AM »

Time goes by pretty fast, at least if you go exploring. I've had maybe 2-5 raids on my first (vanilla) system while it was building up. The first bribes from each faction is pretty cheap, and you might need a second one before getting a solid foothold. The amount of money needed to fortify is absolutely not trivial though, I've spent millions of credits to fortify a pair of worlds.

Look for systems with at least 2 decent worlds to double up your defenses. I don't have much experience with ultra rich 250% worlds, but a world with 3 mining types and 150% habitability can bring in a good paycheck.

Stay away from AI cores to keep hegeys happy, and thus reduce the number of raids. Only alpha cores really matter anyway, the other types give pennies by comparison.

xucthclu

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2019, 10:42:20 AM »

Are you sure that you don't also have Vayras Sector? Because iirc it was VS that did that, not Nex.

This is pretty much the reason why I installed the Nexerelin mod ( https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9175.0 ) . Both Pirates and Luddic Path stay dead the moment you either destroy or conquer all their core planets/bases and stop being an unstoppable zombie horde. I warmly recommend it in the next campaign you play since it requires a new save.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2019, 01:24:52 PM »

You have never built a colony before? Surely you should try doing so first if you are giving advice on raids and expeditions.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 01:39:01 PM by Plantissue »

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2019, 04:50:58 PM »

You have never built a colony before? Surely you should try doing so first if you are giving advice on raids and expeditions.

The very fact of my immoderate experience in colony building compelled me to clarify your statement which clearly lacked any sensible backing.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2019, 06:19:27 PM »

Your allies are Pirates, Pathers and Independents. Befriend them. You can spare one of the major faction and take its commision (except hegemony). This way there will be no raids or expeditions or AI Inspections. It was already said that pather cells are bugged so you can ignore them altogether.

Fixed it  ;)

xucthclu

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2019, 08:44:18 PM »

Uh, Plantissue, the "long slog to build rep with pirates" can be done in the exploration/trading phase by taking quests from pirates long before you set up a colony. Also, exploration is basically the best way of finding all sorts of rare goodies if you've maxxed out salvaging.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2019, 09:37:38 PM »

Your allies are Pirates, Pathers and Independents. Befriend them. You can spare one of the major faction and take its commision (except hegemony). This way there will be no raids or expeditions or AI Inspections. It was already said that pather cells are bugged so you can ignore them altogether.

Fixed it  ;)

Inspection fleet is formed as any other. If a faction has only nonindustrial planets w/o starports it will be unable to form a fleet. It will be a bother to keep it alive but if you want to have your own pet Hegemony... Obviously, there is no practical use.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4