Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Salvage Rig  (Read 3831 times)

Akire707

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Salvage Rig
« on: December 17, 2019, 05:31:58 AM »

Just a quick question about the Salvage Rig, is it worth having in your fleet when surveying planets and finding ruins.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Salvage Rig
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 05:34:56 AM »

No.

It only assists when salvaging. And even then a couple or more Sheppard frigates should be just as good.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Akire707

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 05:36:34 AM »

Ok thanks xD

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 05:44:29 AM »

You need 4 Shepherds to get the same salvage bonus as a single Salvage Rig.

You need Surveying Equipment hullmod, which only the Shepherd, Venture and Apogee come with it built in, but you can add the hullmod to any other ship once you have the obtained and learnt the Surveying Equipment modspec.

Noviastar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 06:20:10 AM »

I find if you are going to have a fleet that is a small eco friendly size you can take 1 or 2.  ad skip the drone tenders.  But having survey equipment is great.  Maybe Survey stuff on your freighter. 

Its mostly down to what your fleet is going to do.  don't know if anyone has done some serious # crunching.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 04:08:36 PM »

If you are surveying then you will find Research/Mining stations, probe and such and after the initial looting you can Salvage 2 times and still get a good amount of Supplies and fuel. More supplies and fuel mean longer surveying. Hell if you stack 2-4 Salvage rigs with the Salvage skills the only reason you need to return to a port is because your inventory is overflowing with Blueprints/high end commodities/Nanoforges/Fuel units(forgot the name) and weapons. You can find more supplies and fuel then you use doing this.

They don't help with the planets specifically, but they will prevent needless extra trips for supplies and fuel.

Noviastar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 04:10:22 AM »

Ill do some graph breakdowns of rigs vs tenders to help people visualize the difference a bit.  But I'm hella busy at my bakery.  And the boys wanting to play holiday games.  So as soon as i get a day off ill take a crack at some math and graphs.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 06:51:13 AM »

Drone tender? Did you mean the Shepherd? Anyways I had an old post about the Shepherd
Stacking Shepards has a pretty strange diminishing returns for total resource recovery bonus. It goes like this:

1 Shepherd = 10%
2 Shepherd = 18%
3 Shepherd = 22%
4 Shepherd = 25%
5 Shepherd = 28%
6 Shepherd = 30%
7 Shepherd = 31%
8 Shepherd = 33%

Fleetwide Post battle salvage probably diminishes too but the bonus is miniscule anyways so that it doesn't matter. I don't know why diminishing returns exist anyways, since if someone wants to get 10 Salvage Gantries for +250% resource recovery that doesn't sound like much of a problem to me.

Salvage Gantries are more ship slot, supply and fuel efficient, but I've never seen the point of getting Salvage Gantries since I get Shepherds for their Surveying Equipment, or for combat, or for Cargo, or otherwise not care that much for increasing normal salvaging. If you care you can choose 3 ranks of Salvaging skill, and get +50% resource recovery from debris which is merely stacked, not multiplied by Salvage Gantries anyways.
For me, I care not for salvage bonuses. If you care, the bonus from rank 3 Salvaging is basically the same or more.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 12:28:04 PM »

Yeah the main benefit of the salvage rig is that it's purpose built to buff your salvage in as few ship slots as possible, whereas shepherds can also fight.  Stacking them up provides harshly diminishing returns though; 8 ships get you barely more than 3 times the bonus of one??  That's a tough trade unless you really like using them in battle.  One salvage rig provides a more slot-effective bonus, IMHO.

As for the skill?  Always remember that to unlock a single skill in a tree costs anywhere from 4-6 points after you count the aptitudes.  Unless you're playing an industry-heavy skill spread, it's never felt worth it to dip into that tree.  So few skills and most of them effectively just reduce the cost of things anyway.