Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Small issue with tutorial  (Read 1457 times)

Avanitia

• Commander
  • Local Egg Demon
    • View Profile
Small issue with tutorial
« on: December 23, 2019, 10:08:56 PM »

One of new players on Discord got confused during tutorial (played on TV and text is very small, so they went in blindly) and used Saturation Bombardment on the Derinkuyu Mining Station...

Maybe an option to bombard markets in Galatia should be disabled for duration of tutorial?
You haven't played Starsector unless your storage has one thousand Vulcans in it.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Small issue with tutorial
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 02:48:16 AM »

That's a feature, not an issue.
Please don't take me too seriously.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 07:48:59 AM »

Doesn't sat bombing require a huge amount of fuel?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 08:19:58 AM »

Doesn't sat bombing require a huge amount of fuel?
Not if the target is small and has low defense.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 05:25:18 PM »

Help us, our planet is cut off from the sector and is running low on resources
Here, have some fuel.
::)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 05:33:54 PM »

Any sort of things that can brick the tutorial causing fail-states should be prevented in the tutorial if possible and within reason. Having a tutorial you can fail and not recover from is a good way to completely ruin the new-player experience and will directly harm the game.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 05:43:52 PM »

I feel like due to the open nature of the game, there are too many ways you can screw it up, it's just not suited to a 100% on the rails you-can't-possibly-fail setup. I mean, what's to stop you from dumping all your supplies and crew? Or just flying off the map? Or attacking the security detachment?

Those *could* be prevented, I suppose, but I'm not entirely sure that's worth the effort. I don't think "100% secured" is viable, so then it's a judgment call about how easily any specific thing messes it up. I'm pretty sure no-one would expect things to be fine if they bombard the station, so that doesn't seem like a thing that needs to be prevented. The real fail-safe here is the tutorial requiring you to save at certain points.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 08:25:57 PM »

I feel like this deserves some kind of Easter Egg.  It’s just so... out there.  Nuking the quest target.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2019, 12:42:49 AM »

Any sort of things that can brick the tutorial causing fail-states should be prevented in the tutorial if possible and within reason. Having a tutorial you can fail and not recover from is a good way to completely ruin the new-player experience and will directly harm the game.
Looooooooool. There are thousands and thousands of games where you can ''fail'' the tutorial and have to start over. But that's the thing, you learn from the tutorial, just get back in it in no time. It's not like you have to replay half of the campaign. And as Alex explained, it's ridiculous having to babysit the player so he can't screw things up even if he WANTS to. I mean for example if you kill an npc in any rpg that's vital to progression, then that's on you, you're the idiot, not the game. The game just has freedom. Or even more absurd example, any sort of shooter or something where you can't fall off the map in the tutorial, how silly would that be? ''Yo let's put rails at the edge of cliffs if our players have suicidal tendencies...'' All of this reminds me of the famous ''journalist'' who couldn't complete the Cuphead tutorial.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 12:45:38 AM by Grievous69 »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2019, 01:36:27 AM »

"Fixing it" could be as simple as boosting the defense rating of the planets in the tutorial.

And comparing to that Cuphead incident is lol. That is just someone with comically bad hand-eye coordination. Can keep trying until that sequence is finished, no need to start over.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2019, 01:45:52 AM »

I just said it reminded me, of course it's not the same. But why fix it? Why? Who in their right mind would try to saturate bomb the planet that gives you the quest while trying to complete the tutorial? If I was a new player and intentionally tried to screw with things, and then saw that you can actually *** up, it would have gotten a genuine laugh out of me.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2019, 04:17:42 AM »

Sat bombing things makes it clear in no uncertain terms that it causes mass hostilities with most factions.  At this point, any attempts to (further) idiot-proof this option would likely fail.

Sat bombing is only worth it in kill-'em-all campaigns, where player does not care about hostilities because they will all die and be purged from the sector soon enough, and player cannot wait months or years to decivilize planets with repeated spaceport raids.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 09:35:55 PM »

Minimal effort solution: without attempting to block any particular action, the tutorial intel code detects the most likely failure states and informs the player "you done goofed, press F9 to quickload".

This would include either Ancrya or the mining station decivilizing, Hegemony turning hostile, player being fleetwiped. Maybe some other stuff as we find out about them.