Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strange Odyssey AI behavior  (Read 654 times)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Strange Odyssey AI behavior
« on: December 13, 2019, 10:01:42 PM »

I noticed some strange/annoying AI behaviors that are highlighted in this clip. IIRC, the behaviors mentioned happened pretty consistently in this test setup. I've seen them on other ships and in other situations but this was the most consistent test case. Fleet AI is on aggressive I believe.

1) Not firing the antimatter blasters. It overloads the enemy and is on zero flux and in range but it chooses to keep firing the plasma cannon and not fire the anti matter blasters. It seems to me like it's something to do with having a bunch of different strike/high flux weapons and not wanting to use them all at once for some reason.

2) Sitting on missile groups while the missiles are on cool down. This only happens a little bit in this clip but I've seen it worse in other situations so I thought I would bring it up. It sometimes fires missiles or switches to a group of missiles on cool down and then sits there while other weapons could be firing instead. It sometimes seems to be waiting for something to come off cool down and other times doesn't seem to be intending to fire. There are unfired sabots that it doesn't seem to want to fire, maybe because they are rear facing? Probably solved by linking them but I shouldn't need to do that. It also sits on the MIRV while its on cool down so thats not the only problem.

3) Plasma jetting point blank into the enemy and flaming out. This is just super irritating and a major reasons why I don't trust the AI with high mobility ships. It happens consistently too, it's not just a random thing that happened once.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Odyssey AI behavior
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 04:34:07 PM »

Hey - thank you for the info! A few quick notes:

1) This should be fixed, I think - by removing the STRIKE tag from Plasma Cannons. Didn't verify, though; will do so if I get a chance.
2) Probably due to not wanting to fire anything else manually; possibly also due to STRIKE tag on the PC making it not get fired as often as it should
3) Interesting! The Odyssey's mass was set too low so it was flaming out when hitting the Dominator (which actually massed more than the Odyssey); fixed this up. Also made a note to investigate further, but at the very least, the Odyssey should now never flame out from hitting any vanilla cruiser.