Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: question about save breaking [SOLVED]  (Read 758 times)

connortron7

• Captain
  • "God has cursed me for my hubris" - brian gilbert
    • View Profile
question about save breaking [SOLVED]
« on: December 13, 2019, 01:48:46 AM »

The question is that if i change a ships sprite, bounds and weapon placements will it break a save that has that ship in it?
Also does the same go for ship systems? I assume that could break a save but unsure.

I know at the very changing ship IDs will break them
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 11:18:20 AM by connortron7 »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: question about save breaking
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 11:06:46 AM »

Changing sprites or bounds will not break saves, since that data doesn't end up in the savefile and is loaded fresh every time you run the game.

However: if you remove or change the IDs of weapon slots, that could break a save, since a custom variant in the save might be set to use a slot that would, at that point, not exist. Other changes to weapon slots should be fine, i.e. if you change it to a different type, that'll be fine, though some older variants might have an invalid weapon slotted into it.

connortron7

• Captain
  • "God has cursed me for my hubris" - brian gilbert
    • View Profile
Re: question about save breaking
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 11:18:35 AM »

Changing sprites or bounds will not break saves, since that data doesn't end up in the savefile and is loaded fresh every time you run the game.

However: if you remove or change the IDs of weapon slots, that could break a save, since a custom variant in the save might be set to use a slot that would, at that point, not exist. Other changes to weapon slots should be fine, i.e. if you change it to a different type, that'll be fine, though some older variants might have an invalid weapon slotted into it.

ah ok thanks!