Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Mod question about ships and weapons...  (Read 10070 times)

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Mod question about ships and weapons...
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2019, 01:37:29 AM »

Graviton produces a physical push on any objects near the beam. It does not dampen acceleration*. Go shoot reapers at the sim eagle to see them veer away like the eagle had decoy flares as an example. Theyre getting pushed away from the beam

*ships can still hit max speed at a graviton ship so in that sense it does. But they will also accelerate faster away from that ship

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2019, 02:04:15 AM »

Agreed, autopulse is much better vs shields because of the efficiency. If you have the slots to overcome its low sustained DPS and get up to your flux limit, its very good against lighter armored ships - quad paragon and quint radiant autopulse variants are pretty good and absolutely murder against non-bricks. I wouldn't use it on an Apogee though as its slot limited.

Don't ever mention the Quint Autopulse Radiant. That thing haunts my dreams and is probably the strongest moving single entity in the game. I'm just thankful it does not also come in with expanded magazines, that would be straight up masochism  :P
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2019, 02:40:39 AM »

Graviton produces a physical push on any objects near the beam. It does not dampen acceleration*. Go shoot reapers at the sim eagle to see them veer away like the eagle had decoy flares as an example. Theyre getting pushed away from the beam

*ships can still hit max speed at a graviton ship so in that sense it does. But they will also accelerate faster away from that ship

Effect on Reapers is straight weird. I mean okay, it rotates them. But why do Reapers keep turning after losing contact with beam? This requires continuous acceleration by Reaper itself.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2019, 02:57:09 AM »

Why does a pencil keep spinning, even after you drop it? Reaper has no radial acceleration, so its radial momentum is unchanged after graviton knocks it off course.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2019, 06:32:39 AM »

Starsector operates under non-newtonian physics, so it is pretty strange that a reaper missile will continue to keep turning after losing contact with the beam.  It's also strange that the graviton beam affect it radially, rather than acting as if on its centre of mass. For instance most projectile weapons have been imparted the the sideways drift when fired from a ship, but they aren't affected by the radial drift, so why would they once glanced by the graviton beam?

That said I've seen a few odd spins in starsector includng objects as large as stations. Mainly missiles that for whatever reason bounced off something, but a few times I've seen shepherds in particular spin around at about 10 rotations a second for no discernable reason.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 06:40:21 AM by Plantissue »

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2019, 12:31:30 PM »

Effect on Reapers is straight weird. I mean okay, it rotates them. But why do Reapers keep turning after losing contact with beam? This requires continuous acceleration by Reaper itself.

Beam effect sets a push which gives the missile rotational inertia. Such it keeps spinning as it uses up the last of its fuel. Technically its still in the full “uncontrolled” state even when its using its thrust since it doesnt have directional controls.
Starsector operates under non-newtonian physics, so it is pretty strange that a reaper missile will continue to keep turning after losing contact with the beam

Only in the strictist sense is that true. Starsector uses a newtonian system with speed limits. Ships stop spinning because they accelerate towards a neutral state and because the speed limits apply when you have trust. (Thus why flamed out ships* often fly across the map hilariously). This speed limit is applied to ships and entities only when they have thrust in the appropriate direction. This is why ships with burn drive can spin freely if they hit an obstacle and/or have a partial flameout.

*especially flamed out plasma burn ships. DONK!

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2019, 03:54:01 PM »

I believe its physical weapon push. Only the graviton beam has it i think.

This could be terribly wrong though. Describe the pattern in the data (which weapons have what values) and i might be of more use

Every single weapon except Plasma Cannon has an impact stat. Beams have 0 for impact and impact tends to increase the bigger the projectile/damage. (maybe it's because plasma cannon can pierce?)

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2019, 04:00:58 PM »

I believe its physical weapon push. Only the graviton beam has it i think.

This could be terribly wrong though. Describe the pattern in the data (which weapons have what values) and i might be of more use

Every single weapon except Plasma Cannon has an impact stat. Beams have 0 for impact and impact tends to increase the bigger the projectile/damage. (maybe it's because plasma cannon can pierce?)

Ahh. Its probably because plasma cannons can pierce

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2019, 06:38:39 AM »

Beam effect sets a push which gives the missile rotational inertia. Such it keeps spinning as it uses up the last of its fuel. Technically its still in the full “uncontrolled” state even when its using its thrust since it doesnt have directional controls.
Starsector operates under non-newtonian physics, so it is pretty strange that a reaper missile will continue to keep turning after losing contact with the beam

Only in the strictist sense is that true. Starsector uses a newtonian system with speed limits. Ships stop spinning because they accelerate towards a neutral state and because the speed limits apply when you have trust. (Thus why flamed out ships* often fly across the map hilariously). This speed limit is applied to ships and entities only when they have thrust in the appropriate direction. This is why ships with burn drive can spin freely if they hit an obstacle and/or have a partial flameout.

*especially flamed out plasma burn ships. DONK!
In that case, unster Starsector physics, since the reaper is thrusting, the reaper should accelerate towards a neutral state, which it does not appear to do. Talar is right to think it is weird.

In one game I saw two opposing Onslaughts spinning across the map together, drifting in the same direction. I have no idea how that happened. Collision should dictate they should bounce off each other in opposite directions. I guess they got stuck on each other somehow whilst both on burn drive.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2019, 03:00:45 AM »

The reaper does not have directional thrust possible thus it always behaves “unlocked” with regards to phyisics interactions on those non-thrusting axes.

Your onslaughts spun across the map together because net momentum on the collision dictated it. IE. One was going a lot faster than the other when they both burned out.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2019, 03:56:31 AM »

Perhaps, but why would both of them would be engaging burn drive in the same direction? They were not my Onslaughts; they were opposing onslaughts, as in one was on my side, and one was on the other side, fighting each other. I can't think of any scenario where they would do that, hence I have no idea how that happened.

If what you say is correct, then the reaper should be changed to be not "unlocked" then for consistency reasons.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2019, 11:58:57 AM »

The reaper is consistent with all other forms of propulsion.

The onslaughts did not burn in the same direction

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2019, 06:37:36 AM »

I didn't say it had to be in the exact same direction.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2019, 10:49:56 AM »

They could have burnt in the opposite direction
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]