Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Max Computer Specs  (Read 6100 times)

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Max Computer Specs
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2019, 01:14:10 AM »

Ive been trying, "Trying" to save up to upgrade my computer to the latest series of AMD, Which would be for the CPU R9-3900x 12 core and the GPU Radeon VII

Would this make even a few FPS difference?

It would make a lot. Buuut it will make zero difference compared to an i5-9600k. Which is only 200 dollars

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-9600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X/4031vs4044

n3xuiz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2019, 04:14:18 AM »

this topic interests me.

so i adjusted the vmparams file to accomodate my long modlist:https://www.dropbox.com/s/r45pnbsshvkt8p9/starsector_mods.png?dl=0
about 4-5GB now allocated. (before on default settings it failed to save with all these mods)

but the game always gets slow after a few hours of playing. i had the same issue with kenshi. after 4-5 hours FPS dropped and i had to restart.

also like kenshi this is singlethreaded(?) so upgrading my i5-8600k won't do me any good at all will it?

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2019, 07:46:27 AM »

this topic interests me.

so i adjusted the vmparams file to accomodate my long modlist:https://www.dropbox.com/s/r45pnbsshvkt8p9/starsector_mods.png?dl=0
about 4-5GB now allocated. (before on default settings it failed to save with all these mods)

but the game always gets slow after a few hours of playing. i had the same issue with kenshi. after 4-5 hours FPS dropped and i had to restart.

also like kenshi this is singlethreaded(?) so upgrading my i5-8600k won't do me any good at all will it?

If the game is slowing down over time, either the mod(s) are introducing a memory leak, you've got junk in the background that's doing stuff, or you've got an overheating problem.

n3xuiz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2019, 07:53:46 AM »

i run AIDA64 in the background and my CPU/GPU doesn't go over 75° C when i run the game and i hardly have anything running in the background.

as for the memory i sometimes check in the console and its always green 1.5-2.5GB out of 5 i think.

not all of my mods are updated though. might make a backup update and start a new run to see if that fixes it.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2019, 01:00:30 PM »

this topic interests me.

If the game is slowing down over time, either the mod(s) are introducing a memory leak, you've got junk in the background that's doing stuff, or you've got an overheating problem.

Or memory still isnt sufficient and after a few hours enough has been loaded into memory such that swapping is necessary. At which point youre subject to your hard drive speed limitations rather than your memory speed limitations.

This could also be a video card memory issue as starsector has lots of sprites and these are relatively memory intensive. As you load in more sprites your video card could run out of memory and need to start swapping.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2019, 11:55:32 PM »

This could also be a video card memory issue as starsector has lots of sprites and these are relatively memory intensive. As you load in more sprites your video card could run out of memory and need to start swapping.

All SS graphics assets are front-loaded on game startup *except* for system backgrounds. Only one of those are ever loaded at once.

n3xuiz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2019, 12:06:09 AM »

so it might be that with my modlist a GTX 970 with 4GB VRAM isn't enough? i will play a few hours and check the VRAM load in taskman then..

NorthernWatch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2019, 06:13:49 PM »

huhn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2019, 08:25:06 AM »

I can confirm that the RX 580 is extremely poor at Starsector considering its nominal power. A few years ago I upgraded my rig to it and it was no benefit despite being about 6 years newer than the card it was replacing. For contrast, I started playing SS on a mobo integrated GPU and it ran just fine (must have had decent openGL support).

can you please be a bit more precise why the GPU even matters i mean i have FPS problems with spark using an rx 5700 xt and i have my doubt the card is the problem if it runs at 60-200 mhz with no real GPU load.

are you hinting the openGL AMD driver is so bad that it needs a magnitudes more CPU cycle to do the same work as intel or nvidia and that's why it is slowing down?

i'm not here to defend the AMD driver which is at best horrendous i couldn't even use the card for 4 month thanks constant driver crashes but what is this card even doing in this game?

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2019, 10:14:50 PM »

Yes AMD video card drivers are *that* bad and they can't into OpenGL at all for the third time...

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2019, 12:52:01 AM »

Huh, well I actually decided to test and it turns out that I was wrong: The RX 580 is not even close to being a bottleneck, so it makes more sense why I didn't see any improvement with it. I'm totally CPU bound. Running some of the larger missions as tests, I'm clocking 100% CPU on one core, with GPU flickering between 0 and 30% - hw monitor can't seem to make up its mind, which is odd, but its not building up enough heat to spin up the fans. (Could this be that the openGL is so bad that it can't even run hot?) In either case, CPU is pegged close to 100% on one core so.

So, despite AMD OpenGL drivers that indeed are terrible, I can say that for my system the GPU is about 3x more powerful than it needs to be.

MaGicBush

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2019, 05:58:36 PM »

I can confirm that the RX 580 is extremely poor at Starsector considering its nominal power. A few years ago I upgraded my rig to it and it was no benefit despite being about 6 years newer than the card it was replacing. For contrast, I started playing SS on a mobo integrated GPU and it ran just fine (must have had decent openGL support).

Strange I play just fine on my RX 480 8gb card. It's 3 years old now, but I am about to upgrade to the RX 5700 XT in 2 month's(income tax). Is that a bad idea for this game? It shows it's 70+% faster than my 480 on benchmarks. Granted I run this 480 with a I5-7600k. I plan to get a Ryzen 5 or 7 as well. I keep seeing "AMD cant do openGL," but my AMD card seems to run every game I throw at it just fine including Starsector. It has only recently started to only be able to do "high" to "medium" settings on most newer games. I also have had zero issues with my drivers over the last few years(switched from Nvidia). The 2070 super is $100 more for only a very small fps gain in benchmarks.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 06:08:16 PM by MaGicBush »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2019, 06:07:33 PM »

Well now I'm a bit confused myself, tbh. On the one hand, I know for sure that AMD OpenGL drivers are bad. On the other hand, even with the graphics mods enabled I don't seem to be bottlenecking at the GPU, it seems to be pCPU. (I thought Alex had said things are usually GPU bound, but I can't find the quote so uh maybe I imagined it.)

Stock Ryzen 1600's aren't blazing fast by any means on single core, but I'm also able to play pretty large battles comfortably so * shrug *. So honestly, while Nvidia OpenGL is miles ahead, I don't think it really matters for this game. Now for other OpenGL titles it might.

MaGicBush

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2019, 06:11:30 PM »

Well now I'm a bit confused myself, tbh. On the one hand, I know for sure that AMD OpenGL drivers are bad. On the other hand, even with the graphics mods enabled I don't seem to be bottlenecking at the GPU, it seems to be pCPU. (I thought Alex had said things are usually GPU bound, but I can't find the quote so uh maybe I imagined it.)

Stock Ryzen 1600's aren't blazing fast by any means on single core, but I'm also able to play pretty large battles comfortably so * shrug *. So honestly, while Nvidia OpenGL is miles ahead, I don't think it really matters for this game. Now for other OpenGL titles it might.

Yea something to consider anyways, but I have plenty of time to think about it. Testing this game it runs at 60-59fps on 500 battle size. I can run games like Doom just fine on Ultra though, but I think I used Vulkan. I play old Halflife games which I know are opengl fine. Honestly I can't think of many games any more that use openGL only. I would think I would be fine upgrading to the 5700XT since this runs on the 480. Honestly all games that used opengl have switched over to Vulkan, and i'd love it if Starsector added that support as well :D. I know it wont at this point, but it would future-proof this game.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 06:27:29 PM by MaGicBush »

NorthernWatch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2019, 10:15:40 PM »

Also is it just me or Mods seem to make the game smoother than the Vanilla version?
Pages: 1 [2] 3