Starsector > Suggestions

Replace CR Degradation

(1/9) > >>

SafariJohn:
One part of CR has always rubbed people the wrong way - what happens when a ship runs out of PPT. Every second the ship remains on the field it costs you more supplies, even if you order it to retreat, and if you leave it in it becomes comically crippled in a fairly short time.

My understanding is that these are not exactly intended effects - the goal is to prevent endless kiting. Therefore they should be fixed.

I think the source of the problem is CR degradation. I suggest it be replaced by a "stressed" state when PPT runs out. While in the stressed state, a ship would be at minor risk of weapon and engine malfunctions, but only when it is firing its weapons. Each malfunction while stressed would reduce the ship's CR by a given amount.

This would punish ships that stay and fight, as intended, and only punish retreating ships that wouldn't have gotten away anyways.

As an addendum, I suggest critical malfunctions deal enough damage that a ship will be destroyed by them sooner or later. No more crippled ship syndrome.

Megas:
And AI should either retreat or be suicidally aggressive (no more cowardly backpedaling) after they run out of PPT.  No more Monty Python Black Knight stuck in place trying to bite off a leg, or ignoring PPT even to the point of being immobilized and drifting in space.  It is the ultimate taunt from the AI - "catch and kill me if you can."

Suggestion:  If direct retreat is ordered, crash mothball the ship while they are at to let it fly away without getting crippled from malfunctions.

--- Quote from: SafariJohn on December 07, 2019, 09:48:15 AM ---I think the source of the problem is CR degradation. I suggest it be replaced by a "stressed" state when PPT runs out. While in the stressed state, a ship would be at minor risk of weapon and engine malfunctions, but only when it is firing its weapons. Each malfunction while stressed would reduce the ship's CR by a given amount.

--- End quote ---
Not sure this would be useful.  This would be like Medusa/Hyperion shield tanking or dodging bullets from Enforcer/Onslaught until ship runs out of ammo when ballistics had ammo years ago.  Nothing stops something like Hyperion or other high-tech ship from darting around and baiting the enemy to fire until it breaks, then the speedster can go for the kill.

SafariJohn:

--- Quote from: Megas on December 07, 2019, 10:02:29 AM ---
--- Quote from: SafariJohn on December 07, 2019, 09:48:15 AM ---I think the source of the problem is CR degradation. I suggest it be replaced by a "stressed" state when PPT runs out. While in the stressed state, a ship would be at minor risk of weapon and engine malfunctions, but only when it is firing its weapons. Each malfunction while stressed would reduce the ship's CR by a given amount.

--- End quote ---
Not sure this would be useful.  This would be like Medusa/Hyperion shield tanking or dodging bullets from Enforcer/Onslaught until ship runs out of ammo when ballistics had ammo years ago.  Nothing stops something like Hyperion or other high-tech ship from darting around and baiting the enemy to fire until it breaks, then the speedster can go for the kill.

--- End quote ---

That's a really good point. On the other hand, it only works against ships of the same size or smaller.

Maybe stressed ships shouldn't count for reducing PPT? Haven't thought that through, just throwing it out there.

Megas:
It would make Aurora more useful for stalling anything smaller than a capital.  Maybe Odyssey could work too.

Alex:

--- Quote from: SafariJohn on December 07, 2019, 09:48:15 AM ---in the stressed state, a ship would be at minor risk of weapon and engine malfunctions, but only when it is firing its weapons. Each malfunction while stressed would reduce the ship's CR by a given amount.

--- End quote ---

Hmm - roughly how it already works, isn't it? IIRC CR will only tick down if enemy ships are in range, i.e. same conditions for PPT ticking down. If it was more specific - i.e. tied to weapons firing - it would probably be more open to getting cheesed... maybe just "CR doesn't tick down while retreating" would be good, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version