Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Challenge Playthrough Ideas  (Read 961 times)

Aromatic_Bus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Challenge Playthrough Ideas
« on: December 05, 2019, 10:51:36 PM »

Hello, just wondering if anyone has any cool/weird ideas for a challenging playthrough? I've already played through as the Pirate Lord after starting with the Pirates in Nerelexin, and just finished a playthrough where my fleet consisted entirely of frigates and destroyers with a single cruiser as my flagship. I'm considering doing a fleet where every single ship HAS to have Safety Overrides, the only problem with that is that a lot of mod ships are incompatible with Safety Overrides  :-[ . If anyone has any cool ideas for a different playthrough it'd be much appreciated!

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge Playthrough Ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 10:24:36 AM »

Challenge: Only civilian ships. I'll leave determining if pirate and Luddite variants count, to you.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 10:43:36 AM »

Cool ideas? I don't know about that, but I have plenty of boring ideas. I'm sure there are many other options out there, but here's a few basic ones to get you started.

1) Do not ever use character talents. See how far you can go at level 1.

2) Do not ever use officers. Combine with #1 and see how well you can survive the redacted!

3) Monofleets. Pick one ship, and build your fleet entirely out of those ships. For higher difficulty this means you don't get logistic ships. For a softer difficulty you can use tankers and cargo vessels, but they obviously aren't allowed to fight.

4) Tech tier themes. Only pick low tech ships, mid tech ships or high tech ships. It's a more flexible variant of the monofleet.

5) Restrict weapons. Don't use missiles, or don't use torpedoes, don't use long range weapons, or something like that.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 09:18:11 PM »

I'm currently playing a nexerim/Vayra modded campaign o my using mainline ships, weapons and fighters. I'm getting thru splendidy with Luddic Path units, including my three capitals (Tyrant FTW).

Edit:oh and also no lasers of any kind. You would be surprised at how effective Brutish things like assault cannons, arbalests and safety overrides (on any ship that can fit it) work against even the most high tech units in the game. They even make things like bombers trivial since some of your ships are LITTERAL bombers.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 09:24:00 PM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.