Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Turning in blueprints to factions/Requesting custom ships  (Read 944 times)

MrJay

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Turning in blueprints to factions/Requesting custom ships
« on: December 03, 2019, 09:22:54 PM »

Hello there, had an idea for an update/mod while grinding credits to build a space station. It boils down to two distinct parts.

1. The ability to approach a station commander/quartermaster to turn in ship blueprints for a rep bonus and a small credit stipend.
And
2. Once your faction rep is high enough, being able to apptoach a station quartermaster or portmaster to have a ship built from a blueprints you have turned in or have in your inventory. Made and sold at a premium of course.

This is for all those who aren't the type to micromanage a colony, but are willing to pay huge stacks of credits to have specific ships built to form their perfect fleet. For all my fellow space cowboys out there, I hope this becomes a thing.

I don't know anything about how to mod this game, and haven't done any serious modding since playing Shadow of Chernobyl back when I was fresh out of highschool. Please enlighten me if this is possible or not in the engine, and how I would go about implementing such a system.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Turning in blueprints to factions/Requesting custom ships
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 07:43:32 AM »

I do feel like that you should be able to sell blueprints directly just like for AI Cores.

I am ambivalent about about being able to then commission a ship to be purchased.

It might make sense for a Medusa Blueprint. What if it is a Paragon Blueprint you turned in?

MrJay

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 03:41:49 PM »

Perhaps we catagorize the blueprints into Common/Rare/Vary Rare with scaling rewards depending on the rarity. For modded blueprints their value would be determined by their price. Blueprints worth less than $25k are common, and over $125 are very rare, with rare being in between.

BringerofBabies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 05:03:41 PM »

Note that Alex did say that the next update will have some way of building ships pre-colony, although I don't recall much about what he said (and he didn't elaborate too much). I think it was something along the lines of paying for "heavy industry time" from an existing faction.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 08:59:06 AM »

Perhaps we catagorize the blueprints into Common/Rare/Vary Rare with scaling rewards depending on the rarity. For modded blueprints their value would be determined by their price. Blueprints worth less than $25k are common, and over $125 are very rare, with rare being in between.
Why do you feel there should be a rarity scaling? What's wrong with the current blueprint prices?

MrJay

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 11:18:12 AM »

It isn't that I have a problem with current pricing, but the main purpose is the scaling of the reputation bonus for turning in blueprints. There are cases where I would accept fewer credits for a greater bonus to my relations with a faction. It is rational to assume a faction would value more rare or powerful blueprints greater than more common or less powerful blueprints.

It would follow this that you would see greater reputation benefits for turning in rarer and more powerful blueprints, hence the tiered system.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 02:07:23 PM »

The difference in interest I suppose. I don't pay attention for the rep building. I care for to then commission a ship to be purchased. A flat +1 no matter the blueprint if they don't have it before is fine by me.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 02:52:28 PM »

Rep building is handy when relations are Hostile or worse, and player wants an easy way to fix them, especially with Pathers.  When turning in cores, I generally care more about the bonus rep than the money.