Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Is Conquest battlecruiser worth it?  (Read 14670 times)

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Is Conquest battlecruiser worth it?
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2019, 08:57:39 AM »

SSC, what do you mean by tank controls? You mean by not using shift?

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2019, 11:03:36 AM »

The only complaint, which is not Conquest-specific, is how AI tends to fire all rockets and vaporize the first random shuttle it stumbles upon.

Better safe than sorry. You will learn to respect those random shuttles than they will fire couple of Reapers (volley of anti-matter shots, stream of Annihilators...) at the worst moment possible.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2019, 11:10:49 AM »

At the very least distraction shuttles are worth their weight in gold at 'adsorbing' missile bursts that could otherwise finish a battleship.

And if they have flares they might even survive!
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2019, 03:43:48 PM »

Yeah, to optimally pilot the Conquest and Odyssey you really want to use all 3 axis manually at the same time (forward-backward, rotation, strafe). Which not every keyboard will actually support ( check for key ghosting https://drakeirving.github.io/MultiKeyDisplay/ )

QWEASD

WS for acceleration, AD for rotation, QE for strafe... standard key binds for QWERTY keyboards (which I'm pretty sure is the most common keyboard from my admittedly biased viewpoint)

Also meme AI autofit:
Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 03:46:06 PM by Tackywheat1 »

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2019, 06:09:17 PM »

If I want to use missiles on Conquest, I use Locusts and Expanded Missiles Racks because they last the longest (aside from Salamanders and Pilums) and are good against just about anything.  However, for the long-range loadouts with Gauss, Locusts may not have enough range, and MIRVs may need to be used instead.

Dual MIRV's is... really strong (as is locust/mirv)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2019, 06:28:16 PM »

Dual MIRV's is... really strong (as is locust/mirv)
Without Missile Spec and/or ECCM hullmod, I do not agree.  Without support, they do not converge enough and not very reliable.  With Missile Spec and ECCM, sure, they are lethal.

If I do not have Missile Spec, then dual MIRVs and ECCM (and Expanded Missile Racks) cost too much OP.  Dual Locusts are fairly cheap, effective (and do not need ECCM to work), and (with Racks) have enough ammo to be useful for endgame fights.  AI also seems to conserves Locusts a bit better than MIRV (although that could be accidental due to less range on Locusts).

I find AI blindly firing MIRVs at every opportunity very annoying.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2019, 09:56:39 PM »

I've had a Conquest in my third (modded) campaign for a while until I stumbled upon the Tyrant and kinda dumped the former into storage.

I personally see the Conquest as the best first flagship you can get. It's cheap to buy, easy to acquire, the second, most survivable after the Paragon due to kiting and it can also so flexible that it can fit pretty much any role you want it to unless it involves tanking any damage with that awful, awful damage to flux shield ratio.

The thing I just do not like about the Conquest is simply how absolutely HUGE it is and the way it just has to sit mostly sideways to properly use its weaponry. This means that the AI will simply make a clusterduck of any of your gun lines if you ever allow it to control one, unless it's simply forced to sit behind closed ranged units and never manage to pull its own weight in either killing the enemy or suppressing it.

My favourite Conquest is a perfectly symmetrical design with 4 railguns, 4 Hypervelocity Drivers, a ton of LR PDs and everything else is completely EMPTY. Quite the heresy I admit. I like to personally drive it and sit at the left or right of my main force and get into a position where I can pressure the enemy capitals until they start retreating, giving the rest of my fleet time to dispatch the rest. I also like to get in between enemies or to a position where both the broadsides are going off at once, provided quite the crazy firepower but even a Conquest can't handle 4 railguns going off at once for an extended period of time.
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

el_chu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2019, 10:34:03 PM »

i personally see the conquest as a huge support that use his sides to fire efficiently  with rockets on the top.
with a role like that, and how he can maneuver easily for a ship of this size, it allow to don't lose fire power when one of your ships need to go back a bit to vent flux by covering it.
 it's always good to have one he's not as good as the paragon but need less DP so yeah i find it worth
i'm just another furry trash

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2019, 12:11:01 AM »

My favourite Conquest is a perfectly symmetrical design with 4 railguns, 4 Hypervelocity Drivers, a ton of LR PDs and everything else is completely EMPTY. Quite the heresy I admit.
Its built in hullmod reduces the OP on all large ballistics by 10, so I'm kinda shocked by this build honestly. And how many hullmods do you have on that jeez? You barely spent any OP.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2019, 01:18:21 PM »

It's probably around 7, maybe 8. Would have to check. Will come back with the build shortly if I briefly recover a Conquest wreck and fiddle with it to try and remember :P

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2019, 01:43:30 PM »

Heavy Ballistics Integration decreases Large Ballistics' OP costs by exactly 10.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2019, 01:45:52 PM »

Heavy Ballistics Integration decreases Large Ballistics' OP costs by exactly 10.
No one was denying that... He's talking about the number of hullmods.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2019, 02:43:58 PM »

Turns out it was actually just 3 modspecs and not a preposterous number.

The build is the following:4 railguns,4HDVs, 4 LR PDs, 6 PDs, 60 capacitors, 60 vents, ITU, Hardened Shields, Stabilized Shields.

A player piloted version with no liutenant on It can kite forever with the shield up and give a slow, inevitable spanking to Tach Lance Paragons and Redacted which are the only two that can actually match your ranged pressure but not in the hard flux category. Everything else tries, fails and gets its face punched in eith little to no resistance provided you've got the patience.

Stabilized Shields may sound like a pointless mod until you realize the Conquest has 480 shield flux per second, you can cut that in half with 15 OP and that's worth 24 vents.

The AI is of course atrocious at piloting it, but that's the standard Conquest experience.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 02:59:59 PM by Arcagnello »

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2019, 03:53:23 PM »

yeah, I don't see any reason to have 4 Hypervelocity Drivers instead of 2 Gauss Cannons, especially when the Conquest have such large flux dissapitation and a pair of Gauss Cannons will be 30 OP instead of 52 OP. If you are kiting you might as well kite with something with better DPS and longer range. If you are kiting, there is also no need to be symmetrical either since you will in practice never use the other side.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2019, 06:33:08 PM »

HVDs and the symmetrical lineup are to increase DPS as much as possible while still staying out of range of most enemy ships. I can wedge myself between separated enemy units and fire at both of them at the same time to fully use my flux dissipation and pool. I went for those instead of heavy maulers because of EMP.

I also don't like forced asymmetry on an otherwise symmetrical design to be honest I just can't help it, it would just feel wrong :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4