Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Buying Ships  (Read 10782 times)

Zero-Radium

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Buying Ships
« on: October 23, 2019, 04:27:03 AM »

Hey guys, I was wondering if you HAVE to be commissioned in order to get new ships. I see it as a requirement with friendly and cooperative. Is commissioned kind of a short cut around building rep? Or can you still get the good ships with just grinding rep.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Buying Ships
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 04:37:24 AM »

Except for Independent markets you need both standing and commission to buy ships/weapons from military market.

SomeDegenerate

• Ensign
  • Credit to TerminalMontage on YouTube for the PfP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 07:22:17 AM »

You definitely don't have to be commissioned to get new ships, even good ships. It's true that you typically find the best ships in the military markets, but it's far from necessary to be commissioned to get the best ships - it's not unheard of to find even capital-class ships in the open and black markets. Heck, I got my Odyssey off the open market, and I've seen Conquests, Legions, Astrals, and Onslaughts just in the same places. Look for planets that have Orbital Works industries, and military planets (even if you're not commissioned there still tends to be some juicy stuff on their open and black markets).

Don't be afraid to arouse suspicion buying black market ships either - when you buy a ship off the black market, even with the transponder on, it doesn't cause a change in the market, so you won't get a reputation hit. As long as you're not carrying anything illegal, the resulting security scan won't matter either.
Roses are red, violets are blue. I'm complete garbage, how about you?

Kasey00

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 11:45:25 AM »

You definitely don't have to be commissioned to get new ships, even good ships. It's true that you typically find the best ships in the military markets, but it's far from necessary to be commissioned to get the best ships - it's not unheard of to find even capital-class ships in the open and black markets. Heck, I got my Odyssey off the open market, and I've seen Conquests, Legions, Astrals, and Onslaughts just in the same places. Look for planets that have Orbital Works industries, and military planets (even if you're not commissioned there still tends to be some juicy stuff on their open and black markets).

Don't be afraid to arouse suspicion buying black market ships either - when you buy a ship off the black market, even with the transponder on, it doesn't cause a change in the market, so you won't get a reputation hit. As long as you're not carrying anything illegal, the resulting security scan won't matter either.

Yea absolutely there's no commision to get new ships. And it's worth taking a risk, you will either lose or gain immensely. But doing nothing will cause none.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 09:57:49 AM »

Do I still have this in the description... Indeed I have!
Additionally, if that wasn't your question, black and open markets might have some good stuff, you just have to check it from time to time. Early on, it's totally viable not to have a commission.