Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rockets...  (Read 4540 times)

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
Rockets...
« on: March 18, 2012, 06:43:34 AM »

So I've found myself really liking the Small Rockets, so I decided to try out the medium size ones... I'm a bit confused and disappointed with them.

Small rockets fires off five that do 200 damage each. They all fire pretty quickly and then you have to wait a little bit for reload. Medium fires one at a time but can fire two a second... Downside is to get five shots out you have to stick around for a longer and the rockets don't seem quite as grouped together. While it carries twice the ammo, it doesn't really feel like a upgrade... I'm spending six more OP and not really getting a lot for it...

Just wondering what everyone else thinks about them... Seems like they should be a bit more powerful, something like firing ten rockets at once with the same reload speed as the smaller one, but more ammo.

j01

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Rockets...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 06:53:16 AM »

Yeah, the medium version of the Annihilator rockets is terrible.

10 might be a bit too much, but I feel like it should at the very least match the small annihilator's rate and spread.

I find myself much preferring the small for its shotgun-effect and even using it in medium slots when I would otherwise use a pod, since the rocket pod is so much worse. It goes from assault to some kind of gimped support weapon, sad to say.

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 07:20:12 AM »

You say 10 might be too much, but look at harpoon MRMs differences between small and medium. You go from one missile with three ammo, to firing three at a time with 18 ammo. Pretty big change, 750 vs 2250 potential damage per volley, with a total of six times the amount of fire power available.

So rockets, we could fire 10, which shields laugh at I might add, and it would just be double the amount of the small mount, but the same amount of shots... Basically just double the damage potential with doesn't seem too overpowered compared to others...

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 07:42:20 AM »

I don't think it's as bad as all that, it's just suited for a different role. You don't get the same volume of fire (not so good for suppressive fire, or for delivering one big punch to a venting ship), but you get steadier, more accurate fire a long time. It's like a slightly wobbly mauler that costs 0 flux—try it on a Vigilance against a Dominator or an Eagle, you can pump rockets into their engines all day long.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 01:03:46 PM »

+1. medium rocket mount sux.

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 02:12:49 PM »

It's pretty bad.  Turns the rockets from a Strike/Area-Denial weapon to a sub-par Assault weapon.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 02:14:05 PM »

I actually quite like the rocket pods.  If only the AI could aim with them, I'd use them for the missile mounts on an onslaught; they're a good high explosive damage "gun".  Definitely not "sub-par" - zero flux generation is an amazing advantage over actual ballistic weapons.

As harrumph says, they're quite nice on a human-piloted vigilance.

Also, Nori, you appear to be using some kind of mod - the harpoon MRM pod fires two at a time with 12 ammo.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 03:00:29 PM »

Oh, funny. I figured since it had a description it had to be from base game and not the mod...

I'm not saying that they suck, I'm just saying that to be perfectly honest, the small mount version is better. 5 rockets very fast and for a mere 4 OP. That 6 OP difference is BIG! Plus using a medium missile slot? 1500 damage from two harpoon missiles... You have to hit with 7 rockets to get that and it will take 7 seconds of firing, and hitting... Granted the rocket pod gets 100 ammo so 20k damage potential vs 9k with harpoon, but the harpoon is much more likely to hit.

evil713

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 03:21:04 PM »

again, four mounted on the onslaught fireing alternating while everything else is on automatic is pretty epic.

since missles dont add flux thoes rockets become the next best thing in killing somthing.

yes there slow and yes there single shot and yes even at flux-soaked speed you still need to lead the target alot to make the kits at knife-fight range, but a volly fire knife is a great thing to have.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 05:17:44 PM »

I don't think there's any disputing the medium mount can be useful in some situations, the problem is that the small mount version mounted in a medium mount is almost always the better choice.

Marginally lower DPS of the small mount is easily compensated for by the damage delivery being in bursts.
Added to that the smaller mounts superior DPS/OP and ammo/OP; it's a no-brainer imho.

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 05:47:37 PM »

I guess if you're on capital ships, they'd work.  I never EVER fly anything bigger than a Destroyer, myself.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 07:39:21 PM »

I only played with it on vigilance, but I really like it. It's a more surgical weapon than the small pod. You aren't in danger of hitting half your frigates when you fire it. It's also nice since you can control the area you are denying. I need to play with it on a venture or something, though.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 06:33:42 AM »

I don't think there's any disputing the medium mount can be useful in some situations, the problem is that the small mount version mounted in a medium mount is almost always the better choice.

Marginally lower DPS of the small mount is easily compensated for by the damage delivery being in bursts.
Added to that the smaller mounts superior DPS/OP and ammo/OP; it's a no-brainer imho.

Exactly... I'd rather save the 6OP per and put it into flux vents/capacitors or hull mods. Seems a lot more worthwhile in most situations. 4x rockets on a Aurora is pretty fun...