Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lucky day, I find a derelict legion XIV in random system  (Read 3622 times)

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Lucky day, I find a derelict legion XIV in random system
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2019, 11:57:30 AM »

Oh i definitely tried the full Dakka+Xyphos Legion XIV, he's extremely fun to watch when it simply tears through anything that isn't a capital ship (Atlas mkTrash do not count) however that layout makes the little guy a bit hard to keep in the battle line against tougher enemies that will fall back and crack it once too advanced.

That's why resorting to a more anchor/area control design is preferable to them in my lategame fleets, mostly because i try to use as little capitals as possible.
Still recommend Xyphos on them, they're basically flux-free dps and the ultimate PD (being able to both move and rotate i've never seen them miss anything yet) it's just that piranhas/flash+squall work surprisingly well as a no man's land.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2019, 01:54:58 PM »

Well, my current fleet has 1 Conquest, 4 Legions, 4 Dominators, 2 Gryphons, 4 Eagles and 4 Falcons. Allowing me to deploy all 4 battlecarriers coupled with the 4 Dominators to act as lineholders when the situation calls for it. I defeated a 400k bounty with two Paragons, two Astrals and God knows how many phase ships with that setup. Dominators just won't die, especially the 14th fleet ones with heavy armor allowing them to hold the Paragons back with a legion of two, while the rest of the fleet lawnmowers thru the smaller enemy vessels.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 01:57:26 PM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2019, 09:58:07 AM »

All capital ships tear through anything that isn't a capital ship. Even the trash Atlas MK II does well enough against anything that isn't a capital. So you just damned your legion with faint praise Scorpixel.

WTf is a dakka legion? I read you post twice and I still have no idea what the ship config is except it somehow have both Hammer Barrage and Hephaestus Assault Gun, which actually isn't possible to have at the same time. You can either have 2 Large ballistic or 2 Large Missile, you can't have both.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2019, 07:40:03 PM »

All capital ships tear through anything that isn't a capital ship. Even the trash Atlas MK II does well enough against anything that isn't a capital.

Almost any case of Atlas Mk2 winning a duel is also a case of bad AI on attacker side. With 30 speed it shares Paragon's inability to initiate combat. It also has horrible defensive stats/turret layout for close combat and folds easily once it starts taking fire. But, for example, an AI Dominator would just faff about at range that allows Atlas Mk2 to attack it one-sidedly and eventually lose, instead of finding it's balls and using Burn Drive to grind the Atlas with superior armor and slot layout at close range. Key factor in Atlas mk2's favor is AI indecisiveness to either commit to attack or retreat while it's still safe against superior range opponent.
Pages: 1 [2]