Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: AhnLab does not like Starsector  (Read 1204 times)

muffalo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
AhnLab does not like Starsector
« on: November 26, 2019, 06:51:16 AM »

Hello! I managed to workaround all the issues so this is just a friendly heads up so that you are aware of it: when installing and launching Starsector, AhnLab gives a lot of trouble. I never installed that thing explicitly so I assume it's some kind of default antivirus that comes with the latest Windows. I also haven't saved actual errors but from memory - when installing, it kept exploding and finding some virus in Starsector. After I found how to disable it and did a successful install, I re-enabled it back. It was unhappy once again and Starsector would explode shortly after loading screen comes up with "can't access something" error. I had to permanently disable "Exploit Protection" in that antivirus and now everything works fine.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: AhnLab does not like Starsector
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 06:53:54 AM »

Ughh what version of Windows are you running? I doubt that's a default thing since first, I've never heard of it, and second, Windows already has an antivirus software that comes with the OS. Windows defender or whatever it's called right now.
Please don't take me too seriously.

muffalo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 07:08:07 AM »

Ughh what version of Windows are you running? I doubt that's a default thing since first, I've never heard of it, and second, Windows already has an antivirus software that comes with the OS. Windows defender or whatever it's called right now.
It's Windows 10 Pro. I put together a new machine 2 months ago so it's a very fresh Windows install, could be something recent. It's definitely something that came with it - either by default or maybe it was some annoying checkbox somewhere in the install process that I accidentally clicked. I never heard about it until it started interfering with Starsector a few days ago either.

nindger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 07:37:51 AM »

After a quick google search, AhnLab apparently is the leading antivirus company in South Korea. So yeah, that may have come as an OEM feature depending on where you bought your machine.

muffalo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 07:52:21 AM »

After a quick google search, AhnLab apparently is the leading antivirus company in South Korea. So yeah, that may have come as an OEM feature depending on where you bought your machine.
Yeah, I googled that too, might explain why I never heard about it before ;D I got it in the US West Coast but assembled it myself hunting down individual parts on sales. That goes for Windows too - I purchased the key on one of those grey markets for $30 or something, which is technically legal and officially comes from excessive keys purchased in bulk, but in reality - who knows (as you can tell - I am right at home in Starsector universe). Maybe that Windows key was from South Korea originally.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 09:42:36 AM »

Personally I'd remove it. Generally speaking Windows Defender is pretty excellent and has almost no perf impact.