Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How Boarding Actions Should Work  (Read 13153 times)

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: How Boarding Actions Should Work
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 02:51:48 PM »

I think that this is far too involved a way of handling boarding actions. The focus in a battle should always be the ships. Personally, I do not want to have to twiddle between interfaces all the time to manage my marines

This.  I think that ships move so fast in battle that boarding anything but a disabled or surrendering ship in general is pretty ridiculous, anyway, so boarding should be saved for after the battle.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 03:51:27 PM »

Very plausible, use a hyperdrive to get yourself inside enemy shields, or just use short range teleporters to beam marines from one ship to another completely bypassing the boarding pods :D

If hyperdrives could pass through shield and are accurate enough to slip them in between the ship and the shields, I frankly think there'd really be no use for shield or heavy armor at all. All anyone would really need to do is stuff a missile with explosives and install a hyperdrive into it and let it slip through every defence into the opposing ship. Or you know, release a toxin and take the ship later.
You know. Last time someone tried to mount a hyperdrive on a missile the ship went to hell..... And as for gases, how would go to teleport such if it only teleports organic matter? :)

That makes no goddamned sense. Matter is matter is matter. If you can make it teleport, then you've already gone beyond arbitrary distinctions like 'organic' and 'inorganic'.

Nevermind the fact that if it only teleports organic matter, then the only thing you'll be teleporting is naked, unarmed, marines.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 07:23:41 PM by Iscariot »

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Jaybanger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 03:49:17 PM »

Hi,

Forgive me if I missed a point from the above posts.

But what about a Orion 2 style boarding action? (i'm talking about the invading planets battle)

Instead of there being a "mini game" just a simple animation that the player can skip/ignore if need be?

This way it would give the player some kind of graphic reward for updating your marines etc rather than just stats.

It would also give the player animations in regards to ship systems that are designed for anti boarding (blast doors etc)

I suppose this is just a bit of polish however, its something that worked well in Orion (I think anyway).

This would have to be something that happens whilst the game continues (not to interrupt the action)

Or at the conclusion of the battle.

Maybe some kind of smaller window that pops up near the ship in question, just give a run down of whats happening if you care to notice.

However it wouldnt be controlled by the player or require input by the player during the fight, maybe something could be implimented during the refit to give the player a small amount of control.

Once again nothing that would interrupt the battle. Purely an automated process during the fight, nil player input.

Thoughts?

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 04:06:12 PM »

Hi,

Forgive me if I missed a point from the above posts.

But what about a Orion 2 style boarding action? (i'm talking about the invading planets battle)

Instead of there being a "mini game" just a simple animation that the player can skip/ignore if need be?

This way it would give the player some kind of graphic reward for updating your marines etc rather than just stats.

It would also give the player animations in regards to ship systems that are designed for anti boarding (blast doors etc)

I suppose this is just a bit of polish however, its something that worked well in Orion (I think anyway).

This would have to be something that happens whilst the game continues (not to interrupt the action)

Or at the conclusion of the battle.

Maybe some kind of smaller window that pops up near the ship in question, just give a run down of whats happening if you care to notice.

However it wouldnt be controlled by the player or require input by the player during the fight, maybe something could be implimented during the refit to give the player a small amount of control.

Once again nothing that would interrupt the battle. Purely an automated process during the fight, nil player input.

Thoughts?

I'm sorry but this is straight up necro. You have a good idea but you should have made your own thread. But hey welcome to the forums.

Kreuzberger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2019, 05:16:19 AM »

And necroing again. ^^

By the way, this thread is linked to "often made suggestions" here in the subforum....starting a new thread would make another wiseass appear and say "hey, we have already discussed this..."

Anyway, as far as I have red, the following arguments have been done against it:

1. to complicated, especially for the devs

2. hard to get a marine from ship A to ship B in combat

I don´t think so. For starters, mayn players here play this game tactical, they rarely drive their ship in combat...they just give orders and let the ai fight. So far to "this is too much for a player to control".

-Apply marines via special fighter wings with tons of losses(aka boarding shuttle). Also add new ship modules for frigates and larger, who just open the gates(airlocks) for short range space jumps by marine companies after ramming an enemy vessels and having it´s shield down (mucho losses included too). According to the fact, that I get rammed by enemy ships all the time in combat, this is quite a realistic option. Sometimes, they even get stuck in my structure!

-What kind of math should be done calculating the marine versus crew fight? How about giving each ship a new number, on board defence - combat readiness + defence value by number of own marines divided over number of ships of fleet as defender? New ship modules for on board defence?  Additionally, why not making your own ships too targetable for ram and board attacks, as a kind of desperate measure to regain control of it?

-So, what should the marines do as a effect then? First hand I would say, just pure structural damage (hull) and taking out weapons around area of "impact" completly for rest of combat until the marines are removed(as a standart effect). Then with more sucess maybe taking out ths shield? Additional we could give an astronomical low chance of conquering the whole thing, given mass usage of marines by overwhelming the ship by sheer numbers.

Addendum:

At the moment, every faction kind of fights the same way. Adding a "ram and board" attack style would enhance the profile of two factions a lot.....

Ludic path and pirates.

At the moment, they are not really an impressive opponent, both by style and ships.

With this suggestion added, I would fear them.

PS: Maybe this way of fighting should be given only to some factions, while others don´t do it at all.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2019, 06:24:53 AM »

This topic is obsolete and should have stayed dead, with boarding replaced by ship recovery.

Kreuzberger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2019, 08:29:44 AM »

I am not talking about ship recovery. Most of my text is about additional combat options.

Recklessimpulse

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2019, 05:35:02 PM »

Well I'm game to discuss it but don't expect anything from it.
If I were to do it I would  give ships an effectively second health bar, that troop that make it to the ship deplete when the bar depletes completely the ship is dead in the water so to say, your marines don't get to pilot it but it is put to the front of the ship recovery list after the battle if it does not get blown up while it just sits there.

Kreuzberger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 08:56:39 AM »

Yes, why not. That is an easier way to calculate it then my version. ^^

To be honest, the more I think about this kind of "space warfare", the more I am sure, that this way of fighting would make Luddic Path and Pirates extra interesting. The first for example, how would a tech denying faction fight? With space cannons? With lasers? With thrown rocks?
With human bodies I would say. I mean, even now without the addition of a new way of fighting in space next to fighter, rocket, cannon and laser, Luddic Path could be changed to sharpen it´s profile.

Make Luddic Path extremly carrier heavy and let them swamp their enemies with swarms of crude fighters with each a fanatic sitting inside. Like 8-10 fighter per squadron. With suicide attacks.  With ramming. With survival denying tactics.

Recklessimpulse

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 01:16:03 PM »

True a simple (I doubt it's actually simple to code, maybe a pirate themed expansion pack after the full game comes out?) change could make pirates and Luddites have more flavour, it's even an iconic way for those types to fight and increase the value of ion weapons as well in a round about way.
And your way wan't to shabby either it's more simulationist then mine.

Troika

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2019, 08:24:30 PM »

Boarding an actively manuevering ship is silly, mostly because all the helmsman has to do is suddenly fire the manuevering thrusters and your shuttle full of marines splats against the hull instead of connecting carefully to the airlock.

Kreuzberger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2019, 10:47:06 AM »

Not, when the other ship sticks inside the targeted ship....

And again, we are talking about a game, that has two dimensional space battles. Just red in another thread about 300 ship pirate fleet armadas...where do you want to "jump drive" with your ship then in such a growd? Plus the fact, that many ships in this game are bricks in space....
Pages: 1 [2]