Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Fun gameplay idea for salvaging Nanoforges and Synchrotron Cores  (Read 6094 times)

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
Re: Fun gameplay idea for salvaging Nanoforges and Synchrotron Cores
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2019, 07:01:34 AM »

To be honest the only time I see it being useful is if I raid Sindria to the ground and store all the excess fuel before selling it to Nortia (independent planet in the same system). I wouldn't use it to store excess commodities while exploring, even if I somehow filled my cargo holds with harvested organs since it will disappear after a month and I'm not spending the extra time and fuel to return and grab it.
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2019, 10:57:17 AM »

Why Nortia and not Umbra? What happened in your game that Umbra isn't demanding copious amounts of fuel?

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2019, 11:01:56 AM »

Why Nortia and not Umbra? What happened in your game that Umbra isn't demanding copious amounts of fuel?
Oh... I didn't check the commodity tab
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

Rune Wolf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2019, 01:16:50 PM »

• Skillful players manage to complete the game in a few hours due to the inflated values of Nanoforges and Synchrotron cores which can be acquired quickly when using some finesse.
I'm getting the impression learning curve + the random number generator hating me, gave me a very challenging first game? I'll fine out after some replays/different strategies, but my first game experience was, Discovering that A. stations tend to have high value items and B. actually finding one that had them, instead of some - ok - value items, took 5 Years, game-time, and no, it was not "just a few hours" real time. You tell me how normal/not normal that is.

I have yet to encounter a Pristine Nanoforge. Ever.

Bear in mind this research station required going dark and - barely - sneaking past pirates patrolling the system on a "sundiving" maneuver (1-way exit into the star) Taking a bold risk = getting a bold reward. I thought this was cool, I skirted the razor's edge of making a fortune or die trying, and - barely - made the right maneuvers and escaped.

So I'm not fond of the idea that the second I reached the research station (which was a mission), 2 pirate armadas would have instantly swooped in and killed me, going dark or no.

Existence before that was "treading water" in fuel and supply upkeep, no game progression was happening.

Although it has been equal parts frustrating, and entertaining, the gritty feel of a character in, say Firefly, and the struggle to make enough money to keep flying.

(No discounting the idea I might get new ideas after several playthroughs, trying different strategies, but at the moment, this has been my experience. so far.)

• Loot can already be stabilized in an orbit.
...how???

Dread Lord Murubarda

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2019, 07:29:39 AM »

rune wolf, you just gotta have patience, the game gets a lot easier once you learn more.

in order to explore you need to have the navigation skills from the tech tree, the improved dark mode is great also, at least 18 burn, survey equipment reduction of 100, the -25% maintenance from fleet tree. a couple of cargo ships so you don't go back and forth too much.

going exploring without being prepared is very hard.

Rune Wolf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2019, 03:26:45 PM »

@sqrt(-1)
Thinking it over, I'm changing my mind. Because I still have that synchrotron core. Meaning, I didn't need it's value in cold hard cash, but it's too rare to just let go, now that I'm starting to get enough money a colony is something I can consider. It's just sitting there taking up 1 cargo unit and I can't use it or dare sell it.

I'd say the rare high-value items are problematic in the early-game. I sold the first synchrotron core I found, because even as a new player, I recognized that - it was too early to be building a colony, therefore an item that enhances production in a colony is useless to the player at that early stage in the game. But the "seed money" from selling it is useful, early-game.

The only reason blueprints and mods don't suffer from the problem of being expensive paperweights to new players, is - they are used up when you learn them and disappear - so the decision can be made then and there for cash now vs. production capabilities later. Nanoforges and Synchrotron Cores ask the same question of the player, but if the answer is later, you have to carry them around all that time. Even 1% storage fee is an expense due to high value.

So I can see the logic of reconsidering the uses of these items, or changing the way they ask the short term gain vs. long term reward question.

If I'm honest, I think I've been - at least partially - arguing for the sake of defending an early-game achievement, but, Changing the rules of the game to allow some new types of missions does not change the experience I had with it already.

@Dread Lord Murubarda
I have that stuff now.* I learned the value of each of those things "the hard way", and acquired them one at a time. Which might be why I'm starting to have some success.

*...well, except for a 100 reduction in survey equipment. I'd not considered stacking the bonuses that high... but I will now. ;)

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2019, 10:15:41 AM »

rune wolf, you just gotta have patience, the game gets a lot easier once you learn more.

in order to explore you need to have the navigation skills from the tech tree, the improved dark mode is great also, at least 18 burn, survey equipment reduction of 100, the -25% maintenance from fleet tree. a couple of cargo ships so you don't go back and forth too much.

going exploring without being prepared is very hard.
You don't *need* any of these to successfully explore. It is helpful, but not needed.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2019, 10:57:09 AM »

The salvaging skill is also very impactful, particularly for getting more rare items.

NephilimNexus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2019, 11:53:56 AM »

I have yet to encounter a Pristine Nanoforge. Ever.

In my experience, mining stations (the loot type) are you best bet for scoring them.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]