Starsector > General Discussion

Colossus Mk.III best ship ???

(1/27) > >>

Severed Head:
Of course I am joking by labeling it as the best ship, but hear me out.

It is a carrier ship than has the same amount of flight decks as Drover. But it has:

* better hull and armor
* lower speed and shield arc
* you can have 50% more of them as compared to amount of drover's deployment points (12 vs 8)
* less flux dissipation, but it is not like you are going to use it for its weapon mounts
* it has the ground support package
I mean what not to like about this ship. It seems to me like a perfect warlord ship.
Please tell me what you think about this ship / your experience with it, I am really interested.

Igncom1:
I tend to find that a true carriers flux and defence stats don't really matter all that much as it shouldn't be in the fight it's self. Although can become a liability should plans fail (they almost always do.)

The drover has a really nice fighter system that gives you might fighters for a limited amount of time, where as the C3's system is a flare launcher which is nice defensively, but you should never really need it.

Having a ground support package is really nice as that makes it one of two ships to even possess one, and the lower DP cost is just plain nice.

Ultimately I find that while it can support flight wings, it's 55 OP vs the drovers 70 lets it down on it's ability to support a wider range of builds and load-outs.

I do feel like building a 'civilian' military fleet at some point, so I'll have to give this a go along side the condor for possible carrier options.

TaLaR:
Colossus has Converted Hangars build-in which makes it less effective than a proper 2 bay carrier, Drover's has Reserve Deployment ability that makes it's 2 bays count for 3.
Better hull/flux stats matter only if they actually make you strong enough (which Colossus mk3 isn't, it loses to any combat frigate if we to ignore the fighters), otherwise speed will keep you safe much better.
Ground support is nice, but Valkyries do that better (you need extra crew capacity for marines anyway).

Most importantly, only 7 Burn (well, 8 with Militarized Subsystems) is total deal-breaker for including it in early fleet (before it becomes mostly cruisers + few fast capitals), while fitting it with Augmented Drive Field kills it's combat value (it's already very OP-starved as is, and ADF takes 24 out 55 OP).

Severed Head:

--- Quote from: Igncom1 on November 26, 2019, 01:21:09 AM ---Ultimately I find that while it can support flight wings, it's 55 OP vs the drovers 70 lets it down on it's ability to support a wider range of builds and load-outs.

I do feel like building a 'civilian' military fleet at some point, so I'll have to give this a go along side the condor for possible carrier options.

--- End quote ---

Yes, but it is not like you need the guns, also you have perks that give it +10 OP which is considerable amount for this ship and can make it work even with very OP-expensive fighters.

Severed Head:

--- Quote from: TaLaR on July 01, 1970, 11:20:01 PM ---Most importantly, only 7 Burn (well, 8 with Militarized Subsystems) is total deal-breaker for including it in early fleet, while fitting it with Augmented Drive Field kills it's combat value (it's already very OP-starved as is, and ADF takes 24 out 55 OP).

--- End quote ---
I mean you can do militarized sub systems to get burn of 8, it is the same as eagle has. Or is this route fruitless too?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version