Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need some advice on colonies  (Read 2007 times)

Severed Head

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Need some advice on colonies
« on: November 25, 2019, 06:36:01 AM »

The advice I seek is not how to manage a colony or how to protect it.

I am facing several problems at the moment, namely:
  • I want to explore, but I have to constantly mange relationships with the factions so that they wont get too negative.
  • I don't really know (I didn't see anyone mentioning it) how to stop the expeditions or how to mange them.

I want to know your feedback on several ways out of this situation that I can see.
  • Is it possible to shut down the production industries on planets (size 7 and size 6) so that they would still generate some money (just to cover officer and crew salaries) but wont trigger the expeditions?
  • Will Hegemony send AI expeditions regardless of me using AI cores on the colony or just having them in the colony stash (personal storage)?
  • Will constantly paying bribes (so far i only payed only 1 for 100k) would be just as or more effective in terms of generated money as shutting down the production industries

Do you know more efficient ways of solving these issues (managing faction relationships while having colonies and having time to explore the sector)?

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Need some advice on colonies
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 06:44:46 AM »

The main source of expeditions is competing market share. I don't remember the exact details, but if you have more than like 5% market share on any single good, the other factions will send "market equality" fleets to crush the competition. It doesn't matter if friend or foe. You can either bribe them or take the (minor) faction hit to make them disappear.

Pirates will attack because they don't like you. Make friends and they should leave you alone. Pathers will still bug you, but if you're friends they I heard they will do less damage on their attacks. Indies are the cutest faction so you should always be friends with them.

Severed Head

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 06:49:55 AM »

The main source of expeditions is competing market share. I don't remember the exact details, but if you have more than like 5% market share on any single good, the other factions will send "market equality" fleets to crush the competition. It doesn't matter if friend or foe. You can either bribe them or take the (minor) faction hit to make them disappear.

Pirates will attack because they don't like you. Make friends and they should leave you alone. Pathers will still bug you, but if you're friends they I heard they will do less damage on their attacks. Indies are the cutest faction so you should always be friends with them.

I do realize that. But the questions are:
  • Is bribing them sustainable?
  • How to manage the relationships once you go hostile? Can you come to peace with the faction?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 08:08:19 AM »

Bribing escalates until it reaches a million per event.  If you have Free Port on, expeditions are too frequent for bribing to be sustainable.

Severed Head

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 08:10:50 AM »

Bribing escalates until it reaches a million per event.  If you have Free Port on, expeditions are too frequent for bribing to be sustainable.

Many thanks, this was one of the crucial information pieces I needed.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:12:24 AM by Severed Head »

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 08:16:11 AM »

Best way to deal with expeditions:

Nuke them. Nuke them all.

Next best way to deal with expeditions:

Go into system where expedition is assembling. Its OK to turn the transponder on. Wait till it spawns near station. It will be hostile towards your fleet and will most likely attack it with the support of the station and nearby patrols (if you look weak enough). If not, attack them. Destroy them. Now the planet has no orbital defences and no fleets around it. All for a 5 point damage to your reputation since its OK to fight the main expedition fleet and nobody said nothing about no allies. Raid the planet's starport, heavy industry and patrol hq if any. Raid them again. And again. No expeditions worth mentioning from this planet any time soon (it can summon some pitifull ones). Sell them supplies left from their destroyed fleets and food looted by your raiders. In the black market. For triple price.

After that nuke them out of their misery.

Severed Head

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 08:22:15 AM »

Good advice, harsh one however.
Since you seem to be knowledgable in this field, can you tell me wheter destroying every planet that belongs to a faction will resolve the penalty to the colony accesibility due to hostilities with this particular faction?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 08:56:00 AM »

I want to explore, but I have to constantly mange relationships with the factions so that they wont get too negative.
[...]Will constantly paying bribes (so far i only payed only 1 for 100k) would be just as or more effective in terms of generated money as shutting down the production industries
Ever heard of AI core bribes? You go to, say, a Hegemony colony with a military base, speak to their commander, then you arrange a deal.

I don't really know (I didn't see anyone mentioning it) how to stop the expeditions or how to mange them.
If you keep your market share low, expeditions will not happen or be infrequent. This typically means sticking to just farming and maybe mining for sources of revenue. After that, you just have to get used to taking the expeditions on.
Additionally, Luddic Church and Hegemony will send expeditions your way for having free port switched on, while Hegemony will also send AI inspections for using AI cores in industries.

Is it possible to shut down the production industries on planets (size 7 and size 6) so that they would still generate some money (just to cover officer and crew salaries) but wont trigger the expeditions?
Yeah, just dismantle all the money making industries. Should be enough.

Will Hegemony send AI expeditions regardless of me using AI cores on the colony or just having them in the colony stash (personal storage)?
Keeping them in storage is safe. Using just a single one, though, puts your colonies at the risk of inspections.

Do you know more efficient ways of solving these issues (managing faction relationships while having colonies and having time to explore the sector)?
It's best to colonise multiple planets in the same system, so that you can stack patrol buildings on them and have the entire system (and all the colonies inside) protected fairly well. You can try bribing the factions initially, but later on its just better to farm AI cores.

Severed Head

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 09:11:53 AM »

This was very helpful, much appreciated.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 09:48:03 PM »

Good advice, harsh one however.
Since you seem to be knowledgable in this field, can you tell me wheter destroying every planet that belongs to a faction will resolve the penalty to the colony accesibility due to hostilities with this particular faction?

Yes.

But you can also be the best friends with them while you keep their entire faction in the negative stability range. Do not use bombing, only raids. With the expedition fleet provocation strat you can disable any port facility for only -10 stab hit.