Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Drones spawned from modules cause the Ship AI to drift away forever  (Read 1034 times)

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile

Drones spawned from modules (using the station drone system) cause the main ship to evade them if they have ship (not fighter) collision, and since the drone follows the ship in formation the ship keeps trying to dodge the drone forever even though the drone does not actually collide with the ship (seems like the AI doesn`t understand that)

You can see this behavior in my ships Retriever, Beauceron and Beauceron pirate in version 1.9.4 of my mod
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16479.0

I will change the collision of my drones to FIGHTER until this bug is fixed starting in next version.
Check out my ships

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Drones spawned from modules cause the Ship AI to drift away forever
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 09:49:40 AM »

Are the collision radii for the drones and ship appropriately sized? If they are too large it can lead to this behavior.

Can you increase the drone circling radius?

A possible solution: Create an every frame script that checks to see if the drones are circling the ship/nearby, or if they are far away, and have it set their collision class as appropriate.

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 11:13:29 AM »

Are the collision radii for the drones and ship appropriately sized? If they are too large it can lead to this behavior.

Can you increase the drone circling radius?

A possible solution: Create an every frame script that checks to see if the drones are circling the ship/nearby, or if they are far away, and have it set their collision class as appropriate.

The collision sizes were normal (just enough to wrap the sprite), i changed the drones into FIGHTERs to fix the issue.
Check out my ships

Armithaig

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Amaranth
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 04:35:35 PM »

Just gonna reaffirm that've run into the same here, videos included (panic, normal).
S'actually tied to HullSize not CollisionClass which'd found strange, think ya discovered as much yourself when working 'round it.