Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: My first endgame fleet  (Read 2636 times)

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
My first endgame fleet
« on: November 18, 2019, 03:15:21 PM »

Salutations or something!

I've gotten so rich I can't bring my fleet around for a neighborhood trip around the home system and back without at least 5 thousand materials, I've had enough colonies that if I wanted to go around and clear all Panther Cells and Pirate activity dangers regularly I'd litterally be doing nothing else, I played the Red Planet mission and realized I kind of got to it late considering it felt a breeze after the motherf pieces of s absolutely broken tr oh god why is it even in the game Remnant bases guarded by at least a couple teleporting bullshittery dispensers Brilliant class battleships. It feels like I may have run out of end game, non-autistic things to do (if we count bombing everything and anything that's not me out of the core system out) so I'm starting fresh with a new campaign using a couple quality of life mods.

Before that happens tough, I felt obligated to share what ended up being my (actually not Paragon spam as I initially feared) endgame fleet and what you guys think of it, namely the fact that it's most likely NOT as great as I think it is and that I may have had a better result with a smaller fleet, I'd really appreciate it if you actually expanded on that unless it's paragon spam.

Capital ship: Odyssey (1)

I fell in love with this thing as soon as I got my hands on its blueprints. I love the mobility, the versatility, the originality and the feel of it while being manually used in battle. It's great.

Mainline Cruiser: Aurora (8 )

I got my hands on the first one of these at a Tri-Tach military base and decided I needed more, so I frantically ditched all my slow ass inefficient dakka lumps of metal and set off into the outer zones in search of its blueprints, witch were ironically found after I went full solid snake and sneaked into a high remnant risk tri-star system with the blasted blueprint obviously placed IN THE DEAD MIDDLE OF THOSE VERY SAME STARS because of course it was, but I digress.

I just filled it with laser vomit and range/defensive modspecs to make it as disgusting as possible.

Occasional Cruiser: Doom (2)

This used to be my capital ship after I bought a slightly used one on the black market with a d-mod on it, loved it so  much I bought two of them at the same time much later in the game after my original one KILLED ITSELF WITH ITS OWN MINES BECAUSE OF COURSE IT CAN DO THAT after err... having it go high on flux, deploy its mines into a base right next to it, try to phase away but being boxed in by my own ships. Good times.

Occasional Carrier: Astral (2)

Speaking of disgusting, a pair of these aiming at the same target should become another way to say it. I focused on stuffing it full of bombers, support modspecs, a ton of point defence and not much else. Playing my second campaign with a dakka focus not using some of these is going to feel...constructive.

Occasional Light Carrier: Drover (4)

Because you can't feel thoroughly disgusting unless you pair the astrals or just provide fighter/missile cover unless you spam the most broken fighter in the game to a light carrier making it even more absurd. So absurd in fact I even tried spamming just the four of these in simulation to see what they could or could not kill with some micro and asked myself why I even bothered with actual bombers.

Occasional Light destroyer: Sunder (4)

I had people in the forum actually tell me this was real good, had its blueprint avaiable for a long time but only used it at the very end of the game once I actually built four of them for giggles and had my jaw drop at the absolute insanity that is a 11FP midline unit being a more effective laser vomit than pretty much all high tech units in the whole game pound for pound. I have a feeling the nerf hammer is going to have a field day with this one.

I also have a single Apogee (the starter one in fact, yes we all went easy start the first time do not even try convincing me otherwise) and enough Prometheuses/Atlases to go around, you know the drill so I won't explain it.

Have a good day and don't forget to let me know how bad all my fleet is and how I'm not actually enjoying the game and playing it as intended if I bury the enemy deep into litteral flashlight fire until it goes blind, falls, hits the back of its head against the angle of god's space desk and dies. Bye!
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: My first endgame fleet
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 04:16:20 PM »

I want to let you know that Sunder is already nerfed and now its only a shadow of its former self.

Kek.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 04:34:12 PM »

I want to let you know that Sunder is already nerfed and now its only a shadow of its former self.

Kek.

Oh.

I would either keep the current one but hammering the flux regen/ capacity down and replacing everything with a ballistic mount or bringing its FP up to 15, making it high tech and painting it blue. It's so goddamn strong it's not even funny.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 04:41:03 PM »

It was already done. Name's Apogee. Try it with SO, Plasma and MIRV.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 04:54:45 PM »

I just realized it's got the same frontal armament as the Apogee.

For whom did they balance the Sunder for...

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 05:18:26 PM »

Ballistics are generally stronger than energy weapons (with the same amount of dissipation), so making sunder mounts ballistic would make the ship way stronger. The small mounts should be railgun or needlers IMO, that would make your sunders much much stronger. Ballistics do double damage against the correct target meaning they have much higher effective efficiency and dps than the base stats. Usually I multiply the damage by 1.5 to get an idea of how strong they actually are.

As to balance, sunder has a very bad shield and poor mobility. Apogee has a super strong shield (second only to the paragon), much better flux stats, a large missile mount, and a campaign stat boosts (sensor range and surveying cost). Sunder will die instantly to capital ships but apogee can tank for a long time against almost anything in the game. Sunders make good early game player ships, but I stop using them about the same time I stop using every other destroyer: when capital ships become relevant. Apogees always have a place in the fleet IMO.

I also don't usually do beam spam fleets, I feel like ships that deal hard flux do a lot more per deployment point.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 05:48:32 PM »

This campaign basically taught me that flux is always flux since it'll force shields down and weapons not to fire anyway. Hard flux is something that only matters if the enemy can't retreat or you can't finish him off. Plinking something from like 1500 range with a Sunder that litterally melts anything fast enough to kill it and can't be killed by anything bigger because it can't be caught makes both better flux capacity and shields useless in a comparison to be honest with you, especially because you can neatly fit a sunder and an Omen (the little frigade from tesla coil hell) for a lower cost than a single Apogee.

I also believe he quoted the Apogee to showcase how a run of the mill destroyer that can potentially be acquired in the first 5 minutes outside of the tutorial can actually be compared to it and make it look pathetic in comparison, a ship that is showcased as a starter capital ship to make the game EASIER!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 05:51:11 PM by Arcagnello »

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 06:32:02 PM »

Sunders die all the time? Every destroyer just pops instantly if a radiant shows up, and they also get shafted by fighters. If you need more evidence that apogee is very strong, it got its shield nerfed from .6->.7 in the last patch because it was too good. Sunders are good ships, but they certainly don't do the same thing that good cruisers and capitals do. They're glass cannons that don't do enough in the endgame IMO.

I interpreted Lucky's comment about the apogee as suggesting it is the overpowered ship of the two, but I'll let them speak for themselves.

My experience with beam spam is that it is very mediocre, but I'm interested in seeing how it performs (and I don't have an aurora blueprint right now). How well does your fleet kill remnants and radiants? That's the only really challenge in the late game IMO. It seems like your auroras will do a very good job of distracting stuff without dying and maybe the absurd number of beams will be enough to drive up flux so that the HILs can kill everything, but remnants have really tough shields and are fast enough to chase stuff down, so it doesn't seem like it would really stand up to big remnant ordos and radiants, but I could be wrong. I can see it really shredding pirates and pathers though.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 09:36:04 PM »

Ive mentioned Apogee cause its painted blue, its hi-tec and its FPs are 15... okay... okay... 16.

From the OPiness level point of view Apogee is one tier higher. However both ships show just how expoitable huge flux pools are since they can be directly converted into defence and offence.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 03:58:50 AM »

Sunders die all the time? Every destroyer just pops instantly if a radiant shows up, and they also get shafted by fighters. If you need more evidence that apogee is very strong, it got its shield nerfed from .6->.7 in the last patch because it was too good. Sunders are good ships, but they certainly don't do the same thing that good cruisers and capitals do. They're glass cannons that don't do enough in the endgame IMO.

I interpreted Lucky's comment about the apogee as suggesting it is the overpowered ship of the two, but I'll let them speak for themselves.

My experience with beam spam is that it is very mediocre, but I'm interested in seeing how it performs (and I don't have an aurora blueprint right now). How well does your fleet kill remnants and radiants? That's the only really challenge in the late game IMO. It seems like your auroras will do a very good job of distracting stuff without dying and maybe the absurd number of beams will be enough to drive up flux so that the HILs can kill everything, but remnants have really tough shields and are fast enough to chase stuff down, so it doesn't seem like it would really stand up to big remnant ordos and radiants, but I could be wrong. I can see it really shredding pirates and pathers though.

Lasers work the same way with any enemy provided you have the numbers. Thicc remnants get  disgusting AA so I do not even bother using Dooms and Astrals and just use 5-6 of my Auroras, a few Drovers for fighter cover, my Odyssey flagship and maybe a sunder or two if I can not fit an extra Aurora.

The thing about laser vomit is that it's very flux inexpensive, making all your flux capacity geared towards shielding and defensive/range extension modspecs, allowing a single Aurora capable of comfortably aggroing a Radiant while the others melt the smaller ships until it's just them left and they're getting pressured by 9 graviton beams each on average making them unable to fire or keep the Shields up without venting, it all goes downhill from there. Having so much range to have a Radiant Skimmer twice to try and melt a single ship to no avail against highly mobile cruisers is probably one of the safest ways to deal with them, provided you have steady commanders and micro them once or twice every minute to not get in-between enemies to cut their own retreat.

The thing I found out at my expense in remnant fights is that you either have all your mainline ships vomit lasers from over 1000 range or the one or two that don't will be naturally focus fired by the enemy due to being closer and will get into trouble.

P.S: I guess that's also why Sunders worked very well in my fleet. Having multiple ships engage at around 1300 range more or less divides the incoming fire to the point having low flux capacity, high damage to flux ratio and no armor to speak of never matter; while being able to fire dual graviton and a high intensity laser does.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 04:17:26 AM by Arcagnello »

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 05:37:39 PM »

Ballistics are generally stronger than energy weapons (with the same amount of dissipation), so making sunder mounts ballistic would make the ship way stronger. The small mounts should be railgun or needlers IMO, that would make your sunders much much stronger. Ballistics do double damage against the correct target meaning they have much higher effective efficiency and dps than the base stats. Usually I multiply the damage by 1.5 to get an idea of how strong they actually are.

As to balance, sunder has a very bad shield and poor mobility. Apogee has a super strong shield (second only to the paragon), much better flux stats, a large missile mount, and a campaign stat boosts (sensor range and surveying cost). Sunder will die instantly to capital ships but apogee can tank for a long time against almost anything in the game. Sunders make good early game player ships, but I stop using them about the same time I stop using every other destroyer: when capital ships become relevant. Apogees always have a place in the fleet IMO.

I also don't usually do beam spam fleets, I feel like ships that deal hard flux do a lot more per deployment point.

Apogee is 3rd*

Because Monitor exists

Possibly Odyssey is tankier than Apogee
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 07:02:33 PM by Tackywheat1 »

Venolak

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 12:47:09 AM »

No Legion (XIV)(s) with 4 piranhas each? I am sorely disappointed, young man.

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 03:52:55 AM »

Why limit ourselves to only 4 piranhas bays ? Astrals with piranhas spam is even more insane.
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 03:47:45 AM »

Poor Sunder isn't receiving much love from this thread.
It's only real use is to place one big weapon on it and maxing range/dissipation, but that's exactly what i like about it.

Also while it isn't necessarily to the taste of everyone i do like the mods adding an high-tech Sunder with 1.0 shields and full energy mounts, still fielding the Sunder(XIV) over it though, more OP and more dissipation means an artillery machinegun hybrid, excellent when playing a no-capital fleet.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 05:05:53 AM »

Why limit ourselves to only 4 piranhas bays ? Astrals with piranhas spam is even more insane.

Cause only in the Legion you can become the ultimate Pirahna.