Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lucky day, I find a derelict legion XIV in random system  (Read 3620 times)

arkaes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Lucky day, I find a derelict legion XIV in random system
« on: November 17, 2019, 07:07:18 AM »

I not check all time what's derelicted but happy to find this

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
Re: Lucky day, I find a derelict legion XIV in random system
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 07:48:01 AM »

I actually remember stumbling across a XIV Legion litterally weeks into the campaign. Dragged the thing around mothballed for what probably was half a year until I got jumped on and had it wrecked by pirates. I she'd manly tears that night.
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

RogueVector

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 04:24:43 PM »

Owch. Any reason you didn't just dump it into a storage somewhere?

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 03:47:26 AM »

Found a Paragon with only an erratic fuel injector in a debris field one time, no more than 20 minutes into a fresh playthrough.  I wasn't even specced for salvaging.  I simply could not believe my luck.  Didn't have near the income to support it or the weapons to fill it but HOT DAMN.

connortron7

• Captain
  • "God has cursed me for my hubris" - brian gilbert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 07:27:22 PM »

hang on to that if ya like it! the XIV Legions are 4 of a kind and only can be found as derelicts in random sectors!
i personally dont like them since they have 2 large missiles vs the regulars 2 large ballistic and i like to can up in my enemys face with it.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 07:31:16 PM »

Owch. Any reason you didn't just dump it into a storage somewhere?

I did not know you could do that at that time.

I also got very far in my second campaign a d I have four regular legions now. I really like those large ballistic hardpoints but I guess the 14th version would just be plain better considering ALL of the other oranged-up ships have better armor, better flux and more ordinance points.

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 12:38:57 AM »

The XIV's layout is just flat-out better without even considering the stats buffs, as the regular Legion cannot in any way support it's hard-points regarding flux consumption, the missile slots are the best thing you could hope for here.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 12:55:12 AM »

The XIV's layout is just flat-out better without even considering the stats buffs, as the regular Legion cannot in any way support it's hard-points regarding flux consumption, the missile slots are the best thing you could hope for here.

Nah, 2 Gauss Cannons (even if flux stats do not allow to fire them at full rate) sill make the basic one better. Missiles are easy to counter with proper PD or by simple stalling.
Not just for player control either (well, it's boring to control anyway, so purely theoretical) - it does perform better than XIV in AI vs AI skill-less tests too, unless you specifically pick opponents without PD.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 04:38:05 AM »

I support this statement, although I did not go for Gauss. My Legions have 4 thunders each (you would not believe how fast they murder all kinds of phase ships, love it) and have Hephesthus cannons on the ballistic hardpoints, supported by triple Hypervelocity driver and double dual flak. They can manage their flux very well with a flux distributor and a si for o e without a commander beats anything but a Paragon in simulation without a commander and under AI control

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 06:12:57 AM »

There are many wonderfull combinations of Legion XIV which work great and are flux-efficent.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 07:07:38 AM »

I can see myself slapping a dual Hammer Barrage and filling the rest out with Hypervelocity drivers, with a Xyphos wing or two for point defence.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2019, 07:50:47 AM »

The only good thing about Legion (XIV) is it is the only ship that can use Hammer Barrage or Cyclone Reaper effectively and not die trying (like Gryphon or pather ships) or compromise their main guns or fighter capability (Apogee, Atlas 2, Conquest, Odyssey, and Astral).

Legion (XIV) is for those who want a good ship that can use dumb-fire large missiles like Hammer Barrage.

I prefer normal Legion because it can use heavy ballistics and does not need proper missiles to do well, but I may use Legion (XIV) at times just to have something good enough to use dumb-fire large missiles.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2019, 08:18:57 AM »

I actually have two gryphons in my fleet and I have not had them suicide at all, I've had them run with hammer barrage and triple Annihilator rocket launchers with great effect, especially because I run them with hardened Shields and a commander bringing the damage to flux ratio down at around 0.55. they get in there, overload a target in the first volleys and o literate it the second. They're quite handy when you've got to manhadle a lot of big ships and/or enemy bases.

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2019, 08:49:08 AM »

I've been using my Legion XIV mostly as a fleet splitter since the AI fears missiles so much, combined with not filling non-frontal armament it allows it to stay on the frontline during the entire fight, also makes travel time of the bombers minimal. I don't really see the point of using a regular Legion like a bootleg Onslaught.

Gryphons? I love them! Used one and outfitted it with some kinetic along sabot/harpoon combo, so that whenever it got close to an enemy i would take control and nuke the poor guy into oblivion. Honestly my favourite vanilla ship when sortied with fellow midlines.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2019, 09:35:33 AM »

It's fun how be both love it but for completely different reasons. I like my DAKKA legion be wise it can both defend and chase every single unit in the game under AI control. It straight up HUMILIATES destroyers and phase ships with the 4-Hammer *** squad stunning, shooting and filling every enemy with missiles until it dies or is paralyzed long enough for my legion to boost into range and take it out with high Hypervelocity drivers
and Hephesthus assault guns. They can also provide cover for my Falcon destroyers deep into enemy lines from across the map thanks to that 8000 unit range
Pages: [1] 2