Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Neutrino Detector - Automatic Filtering  (Read 1612 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Neutrino Detector - Automatic Filtering
« on: November 14, 2019, 01:45:03 PM »

The Neutrino Detector is such a pain to use that I simply don't. Not to mention it requires expensive volatiles.

Someone mentioned that perhaps the out-of-system pips (nearby stars, IIRC) should get filtered out after using it for a bit. Given the benefits vs the costs, I don't think that's enough.

I suggest, starting over each time you activate the Neutrino Detector, all mapped bodies get filtered out after a few seconds. Stars, planets, derelicts, everything. This would make it actually worth using, even if it required adding more downsides like having to stay still the whole time.

guesswho2778

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Neutrino Detector - Automatic Filtering
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 05:49:27 PM »

yeah at the moment the neutrino detector is so inefficient i forgot it even existed until i saw this post

sqrt(-1)

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 06:07:06 AM »

It was already suggested before to increase the information content/precision and reduce volatiles consumption by changing it into a short pulse, which would increase the skill based usability over the current usability degradation by random noise.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 07:23:14 AM »

The only time I consider Neutrino Detector is to find the rare pirate base that cannot be found with the usual tricks (because it is hidden in a huge fringe asteroid belt in a huge system, like Penelope's Star).

sqrt(-1)

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 08:07:10 AM »

The only time I consider Neutrino Detector is to find the rare pirate base that cannot be found with the usual tricks (because it is hidden in a huge fringe asteroid belt in a huge system, like Penelope's Star).
How the heck does this matter to the viability of an idea to improve its useability?!!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 08:09:31 AM by sqrt(-1) »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 09:28:36 AM »

I commented on the current Neutrino Detector.  I do not like it.  It is a royal pain to use.  However, I feel compelled to spend one point in Sensors for Neutrino Detector (which I DO NOT WANT to do) because once or twice, pirate bases were spawned in a fiendishly hidden location that it was too hard to find without Neutrino Detector.  I am talking thirty minutes scouring a gigantic system, visiting all of the planets, capturing a relay waiting for pirates to come (but to no avail), Sensor Burst suspicious places.  All of that before I gave up and used Neutrino Detector and find a base so well hidden that it was too hard to find any other way.

I would like Neutrino Detector to be improved, and accessible without skill points if pirate bases will remain too well hidden at times.  I do not care how Neutrino Detector gets improved.