Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: am I the only one who never buys ships?  (Read 2845 times)

Dread Lord Murubarda

• Commander
    • View Profile
am I the only one who never buys ships?
« on: November 13, 2019, 12:44:22 AM »

I go for system bounties and hunt pirates, get the industry skills which deal in D-mods, so I got a super cheat fleet of pirate clunkers and sooner, rather than later, I run into onslaughts/legions, which don't cost much to run and deploy because of the industry skills, then I park the pirate tin cans on my colony and keep exploring and finding new ships.

I eventually build my own paragons, but that's it. this game was so hard at first and now it feels like I can't fail.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: am I the only one who never buys ships?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 01:14:10 AM »

I play exact opposite - buying pristine ships from black and open markets (you can find pretty much anything except capitals there), and recovering only high value rare ships I intend to restore later. No Industry in character skills - I don't want to sacrifice combat fleetwides or personal skills for it.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 01:33:10 AM »

It all comes down to if you can tolerate d-mods.  There's lots of people that play with your playstyle and that's perfectly fine. Personally I just try to find a decent pristine ship for sale or if I tend to recover something that's used in combat, immediately restore if I have the cash. I see the appeal of an Industry character but to me, it seems kinda weird to invest so much skillpoints just to make my ships a bit less crap. They still use up the same amount of DP, officer limit is a thing, and the ship cap. Not that any of this matters much since we're getting a completely different skill system.
Please don't take me too seriously.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 05:52:15 AM »

If I grab the industry skills, then it's D-mod ships all the way, because they're better than pristine. If I don't, I need pristine ships, and buying them is much cheaper than restoring them, so recovering ships is pointless.

Honestly the industry skills are so strong, I kinda wish pristine ships were better than they are.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 07:09:06 AM »

I played like that once for a challenge. There's something interesting about slowly replacing your fleet of recovered frigates with better frigates, to destroyers, to cruisers and so forth but it's actually pretty boring otherwise, since most pirates have for destroyers, Condor, Mule, Enforcer, Shrike, then Colossus MK III and Venture, then Atlas MK II, which are dull ships to pilot except for maybe the Shrike. Since you can't actually continuously do personnel bounties with your trash pirate ships, you spend a significant amount of downtime doing something else like system bounties.

isyourmojofly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 09:06:25 AM »

I've been doing an outlaw run recently where I can only buy from the pirates, the Luddites, and black markets. Mostly I've got my ships by hitting valuable convoys and recovering the ships I want. I've also increased crew values and salaries 10x.

I've got a fully-kitted Paragon, a Victory, and a smattering of decent cruisers and destroyers. It's a lot of fun to play with these constraints.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 10:56:19 AM »

I usually go pristine ships, but did industry for fun a while back: The industry recovery route lets you grow so fast. Falls off a bit lategame because of the way recovery is calculated when your fleet gets large, but if you boost your max ships in settings (not to use, just to remove the recovery bug!) then it will last you the whole game.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 11:30:01 AM »

Another Industry fan.
I love junkfleets and zombie ships. They are literally perfect for exploration away from the core.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 11:35:39 AM »

Nowadays, it's not really viable outside of rare ships or industry runs. In 0.8, though, you had ridiculously many ships available for salvage, where I never really felt the need to ever buy ships.
it seems kinda weird to invest so much skillpoints just to make my ships a bit less crap.
It's not just that ships are less crap. They are also more plentiful and cheaper. Industry allows you to take bigger challenges on not by increasing force you can exert, but by how much damage you can take on and still bounce back.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 11:47:05 AM »

Yeah if you're going non-industry, you can only really take fights you are overwhelmingly winning because every loss is going to cost you ridiculous amounts of money. With an industry run, you can fight attrition battles you only barely win and still come out even or ahead.

BigBeans

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 03:27:36 PM »

Yeah I only buy rare ships, usually my first capital is bought too.

Everything else I collect via scavenging or by beating hostile fleets. Usually I'll add whatever enemy ship gave my forces the most trouble into my ranks if it's recoverable and doesn't have like 5 D-mods.

Brichess

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 04:23:34 AM »

Industry max pretty much lets me shrug off capital ship losses midgame once I get a heavy industry running

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 11:08:34 PM »

The industry tree is strange to me.  The ability to basically shrug off D-mod effects and bottom out your maintenance costs means you're deploying the same ships for dirt cheap, yeah, but then again...once you've got some solid income and/or your favorite ships modded out with your favorite gear...do you NEED your ships to be that cheap?  Don't get me wrong; the salvager build is fun in its own way and has some amusing potential but sooner or later quality beats quantity and you can still only have so many deployment points on the field (which D-mods do NOT circumvent.)  Also note that the industry line ties with technology for fewest skills, meaning your 3 aptitude points get you less options in that tree.  I want to like it more but it's a hard sell unless you're roleplaying it.

Now, if the D-mod build DID allow bigger fleet deployment?  That might be a very different conversation.  Did it used to in a previous version of the game?

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2019, 10:39:34 AM »

With fully Industry there is no appreciable quality gap between Dmod and non-Dmod ships. That's what makes Industry so strong. You get essentially the same quality ships, with cheaper maintenance, cheaper upfront cost to get and lower deployment cost. And you get massive free repairs on everything after every fight.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2019, 12:56:40 PM »

With fully Industry there is no appreciable quality gap between Dmod and non-Dmod ships. That's what makes Industry so strong. You get essentially the same quality ships, with cheaper maintenance, cheaper upfront cost to get and lower deployment cost. And you get massive free repairs on everything after every fight.

The thing is that you can easily get to a point where you can manufacture any pristine ship you want, and you have so much money that you can burn any amount of supplies you want, so attainability and upkeep of ships just doesn't matter anymore. Industry skills don't do anything at that point, but other skills do.  Industry skills reduce the maximum power you can attain (by preventing you from taking combat or colony boosting skills) to make early-mid game easier from a logistics perspective. Pretty much all of the problems solved by the d-mod focused industry skill can be solved with money or better play, while no amount of money will give you the combat/campaign stat boosts you get from the other skills. It's a fun play style but not an optimal one.
Pages: [1] 2