Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just Sustained Burn All The Time?  (Read 5094 times)

Rune Wolf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Just Sustained Burn All The Time?
« on: November 12, 2019, 10:12:02 AM »

Started on a Campaign, and I find myself obsessed with the fastest travel time (because time is money) and fuel economy (because fuel costs money).
It seems like just leaving Sustained Burn on is the best? Does it even make sense to turn it off when landing on a planet or station, or going through a Hyperspace Point?

What IS the most efficient Time-wise and Fuel-wise?

(Noted, I've seen turning off Sustained Burn greatly improves maneuverability, for example, when dodging a hyperspace storm or pirates. But other than that...)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Just Sustained Burn All The Time?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 10:14:22 AM »

Hi! In general I agree with you about sustained burn, and usually keep it on. The exceptions that are popping into my head are:

1) Hostile space when I have a weak fleet. It gives stealth penalty. I'll often turn it off when going through jumppoints.

2) Smuggling for the same reason.

3) Quick turns.

I think the most efficient time/fuel wise is hyperspace storm surfing, but that usually takes a skill and even hullmod on your ships to not make it prohibitively supply expensive.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 10:30:28 AM »

Fuel consumption is purely distance based, so going fast or slow will not change how much fuel you use. As for travel time - continous storm riding is the fastest you can go, but if you end up not catching enough storms you lose time because deep hyperspace is very slow.

You only don't use sustained burn when you want to quick-turn (currently you can literally pause the game, toggle sustained burn on and off and it'll reset your speed to zero and let you turn in any directiopn - it's kinda exploity), be stealthy or when you can't use it (when you are under the effect of an interdiction pulse).

Incidentally, it'd be really great if the Sustained Burn toggle persisted through temporary disables. Especially Active Sensor Burst - in 99% of the cases you want to move somewhere after you do a sensor burst, so it permanently toggling off Sustained Burn is just tedious.

Rune Wolf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 10:36:26 AM »

Thanks for the quick replies!

I've heard of bouncing off of hyperspace storms, but early game, it just seems to eat up supplies for repairs like mad, and much of the time knocks me sideways - or backwards. So not worth it. I've been manually avoiding as much deep hyperspace "clouds" as possible. Going out to the "fringe" of the sector on investigate probe/survey planet missions, with just enough supplies for the ship upkeep and surveys, it really wasn't a survivable option!

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 11:28:45 AM »

If you take the skill that makes E-burn cost no supplies to use, then storm surfing becomes a much more consistently good choice IMO. I try not to sustained burn through storms because that can easily lead you to take a less direct route in addition to costing supplies for storm damage, but E-burn guarantees that you take the most direct route at a faster speed. I still generally go around storms when it takes a reasonably small deviation from my path, but going on a big long arc around storms is definitely worse than just plowing through the storms.

At the end of the day, it's balancing between the two options:

going through storms
- supply loss from hitting storms
- supply loss from from terrain speed penalty increasing your trip time
- supply gain from storm speed boosts decreasing your trip time
- possibly supply + fuel loss of a longer route if you get bounced in the wrong direction (this can be mitigated with good piloting and/or E-burn, but will definitely hurt you if you alt-tab)

avoiding storms
- the fuel and supply cost of an intentionally longer route to go around the storms

The balance can easily go in either direction IMO. Storm density also factors in. Too many storms and you take a lot of hits that don't really increase your speed/benefit you, too few storms and you get hurt by the terrain penalty a lot and end up going slower.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 12:40:31 PM »

I almost always sustained burn through storms if I can. My time > supply cost.

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 12:49:41 PM »

I've gotten to the point where the tech/industry skills for speed/no damage from eburn are must haves.  Not for any ingame reason but just because my real life obligations limit my playtime and I don't want to spend most of it waiting for some insane storm cluster to finally dissipate so I can do a mission/bounty/visit my own colony.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 07:53:31 PM »

It feels to me like e-burning is faster than sustained burn in storms. I think the terrain penalty gets doubled by sustained burn but I could be wrong.

I also feel like the e-burn skill is a huge qol skill that I need to take because it improves my play experience a ton.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 11:15:00 PM »

You'll love solar shielding then...

Modo44

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 12:46:09 AM »

Emergency burn ignores the storm movement penalty, and lets you keep it in a mostly straight line even if you get hit. It is the fastest way to cross big storm patches, and actually get where you are going.

Sustained burn is good for open space in safe areas where you don't care what spots your fleet. You can hit 5 twice to instantly stop/restart sustained burn for tighter turns.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 06:24:13 AM »

Solar shielding costs OP, skills don't

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 07:11:26 AM »

Thanks for the quick replies!

I've heard of bouncing off of hyperspace storms, but early game, it just seems to eat up supplies for repairs like mad, and much of the time knocks me sideways - or backwards. So not worth it. I've been manually avoiding as much deep hyperspace "clouds" as possible. Going out to the "fringe" of the sector on investigate probe/survey planet missions, with just enough supplies for the ship upkeep and surveys, it really wasn't a survivable option!
Yes, early game you must avoid hyperspace storms. Or at least learn to when you must avoid them. Something that people often forget to mention when they recommend that you just emergency burn through hyperspace storms is that they are assuming that money and resources is no problem.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2019, 03:39:19 AM »

Solar shielding can be swapped out at will.  Skills can't.  It also provides damage reduction against energy.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2019, 07:46:14 AM »

Solar shielding can be swapped out at will.  Skills can't.  It also provides damage reduction against energy.

The damage reduction vs energy is only for hits to the hull/armor

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2019, 08:05:54 AM »

Sustained Burn through storms will probably fling the fleet around like a pinball and send it off course.  E-Burning the storms will preserve full control of the fleet and keep it steady while the still enjoying burn 30 granted by the storm.

I turn off Sustained Burn when I need to move through corona or pulsar beam to reach a jumpgate, mission target, or loot piƱata.
Pages: [1] 2