Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Campaign Tutorial Improvement?  (Read 478 times)

Rune Wolf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Campaign Tutorial Improvement?
« on: November 12, 2019, 01:20:43 PM »

Some feedback as a new player. (You can only test it as a new player once! Then, you know too much...)

One simulated year into play, I found changing course with the mouse (example, to avoid an inconveniently-paced star, or a hyperspace storm lacking in social niceties), would stop the course I laid in, and it was NOT intuitive - for me - how to get back on it. The ships just "coast" to a stop, even though the arrow for the course I laid in is still there. I was resorting to using TAB and laying in the course all over again. :(

Helpful people explained within 5 minutes of my post it's A to autopilot on/off, and S to stop/start. Kudos to that.

I had to know. I just replayed the Campaign Tutorial - did I miss this stuff in information overload? No, it's just not there!
For that matter, changing course with the mouse was something I picked up from watching the game played online.

The Tutorial section for piloting in combat is very thorough, anything I didn't catch the first time, was there when I reviewed it, but IMHO the Tutorial for the Campaign could use improvement to raise it to the same level.

PS - On a somewhat related idea, I tried clicking on sensor blips in the Radar in the lower right - as-if this minimap could lay in a course to anything displayed on it, but no, that doesn't work. It might be an idea for a new feature in the game, though, I couldn't say how much work-to-implement it would be.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Campaign Tutorial Improvement?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 02:38:00 PM »

The big arrow is a bit deceptive. It does not represent your current fleet course, but rather is a waypoint arrow that points to your destination.

Your fleet's current course is not visible, and plotting a new course is also not visible. It has confused me many times. Of course setting a destination on the map will set the arrows AND set the course at the same time, but the marker and destination are independent things.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 02:42:37 PM by bobucles »

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 02:46:15 PM »

Right clicking on sensor blips on the minimap is a nice suggestion.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 04:02:41 PM »

Right clicking on sensor blips on the minimap is a nice suggestion.

Agreed! Sometimes when I see a sensor blip I'll hit 'tab' to go to the map, as it both pauses and lets you set a new destination. Minimap clicking would be a bunch quicker.