Other > Discussions

Gravity beam weapon, might be a real life thing after all

(1/1)

goduranus:
I used to think gravity manipulation was the realm of nutjobs, but wut? Now a reputable science channel on Youtube dug up some info about scientists who published a research on gravity manipulation and promptly disappeared... :-X

Thaago:
While it is the realm of nutjobs, its also the realm of real scientists. Manipulating gravity should be theoretically possible: after all, all you need is mass, and you can generate what would seem to be strange effects by using rotating/moving masses (frame dragging and/or the 'magnetic' interpretation of gravitoelectromagnetism). The recent LIGO experiments have confirmed that these effects are real in the form of gravitational waves.

The elephant in the room though is G. The gravitational constant is tiny, so any effect that would alter gravity needs to be big. The idea of packing lots of energy into a BEC's lattice ions is interesting, and perhaps mathematically correct, but practically speaking if you want to make a noticeable difference to gravity, well... I'm sure there are many prefactors, but you are going to need an amount of energy stored in the gravity effecting system similar to the amount of raw mass that would be required normally.

So lets set up a test scenario: lets say we want to have a net effect of 1uN on a 100kg test mass at a range of 1m. This requires ~150kg of mass for a normal weight. For an anti-gravity system to exert this tiny, tiny force, its going to need somewhere on that order of mass, very roughly. The Tsar Bomba, I think the largest detonation ever of a nuclear device, converted 2.3kg of mass to energy. If the anti-gravity system is packing 150kg of energy into lattice spins... well I don't want to be withing 100km of it lol.

Now I could be wrong - perhaps the prefactors to whatever the final equations are will be large enough to overcome this effect, or some trick of "localizing" the gravitational field (if possible) will magnify the effects. But its hard to overcome the sheer weakness of G.

I would be in support of funding these experiments though (as already happened!) - it seems to be at least in the realm of legitimate physics, and any detection of an effect, no matter how tiny, would give valuable data.

Yunru:
A further problem of G being so weak is that with the amount of energy you'd be throwing around, there's probably a more efficient solution to the problem.

goduranus:
I saw on another youtube video, Bob Lazar, that UFO guy, claims that military captured UFOs and was trying to cut into one of the gravity manipulating devices on board, and it promptly exploded with the violence of an ammo dump explosion. Man, who know whether these stories might be real.

Yunru:
Don't be silly, of course it's not real.
Once captured it's no longer Unidentified.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version