Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Large mount machine gun and autocannon  (Read 6388 times)

Temstar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Large mount machine gun and autocannon
« on: March 16, 2012, 09:26:09 PM »

Currently we have 4 complete ballistic weapon families:

Needlers: Light Needler - Heavy Needler - Storm Needler
Linear motors: Railgun - Hypervelocity Driver - Gauss Cannon
Assault guns: Light Assault Gun - Assault Chaingun - Hephaestus Assault Gun
Large bore cannons: Light Mortar - Heavy Mauler - Hellbore Cannon

Then we have 2 other families with three weapons, but with two weapons per family that are light:
Machine Guns: Light Machine Gun - Light Dual Machine Gun - Heavy Machine Gun
Autocannons: Light Autocannon - Light Dual Autocannon - Heavy Autocannon

I really like the machine gun and autocannon families and I feel they are incomplete somehow without a large mount version. Drawing on real life for inspiration I suggest the below two new weapons:

Volley Gun
Primary Role: Point Defense
OP: 28
DPS: 1200
Damage Type: Kinetic
Range: 400
Flux/sec: 600
Shots/min: 2000
Ammo: 2500

Affectionately known as "Chicago Piano" by the gun crew after an archaic weapon of the same layout. Volley Gun is a weapon system mounting 8 light machine guns in a single package designed to throwing up a fearsome wall of lead in the face of incoming fighters and missiles. The extreme volume of fire is also excellent at downing shields if the enemy gets within its rather limited range. Heavy gauge, cryogenic cooled barrels allow the volley gun to use larger propellent load, enabling it to match the range of the larger bore heavy machine guns.

Autocannon Battery
Primary Role: Close Support
OP: 18
DPS: 400
Damage Type: Kinetic
Range: 800
Flux/sec: 300
Shots/min: 160
Ammo: 200

Mounting four autocannons, the Autocannon Battery is capable of sustained fire rather than burst like its smaller brothers. High volume of medium caliber inert projects offers a low tech solution against shields but like all autocannons has trouble hitting fast moving targets due to low projectile velocity.

Cryten

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Large mount machine gun and autocannon
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 04:28:08 AM »

The low damage of the machien guns would make them useless in a large slot in an assualt roles due to damage reduction and I am not sure you need more bullets in the air to perform as a PD weapon. I feel that the Autocannon is supplanted by the Assult guns at later levels but as a dedictaed friagte and destroyer killer it might be able to make a heavy slot on a cruiser.

Temstar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 04:51:46 AM »

Autocannon and assault guns are for completely different purposes. Autocannon is shield killing while assault gun is armour killing.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 11:05:54 AM »

I think this would be cool to see. Though I don't know that we need any more point defense.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »

Assault Autocannon - The largest of the Autocannon family, this version features 6 rotating, cryo-cooled barrels, allowing near nonstop firing of it's hard-hitting Autocannon rounds.  Limited only by ammunition, this weapon is capable of overloading shields in short order and even tearing apart smaller ships.

Fires in 6-round Volleys with a tiny interval between them.  Good accuracy and range, decent per-round damage.  Slow turning speed.

Gatling Gun - The largest in the Machine Gun family, this features two 6-barreled Heavy Machine Guns firing in tandem.  Though the range is short, the coverage is excellent, overwhelming shields quickly.  Due to the wide coverage, it can also effectively be used as short-ranged PD.

Fires in 24-round bursts (12 from each barrel).  There is a good-sized scatter amongst the rounds, but it's not a problem at close range.  Very fast rotation speed, short range, can be used as PD.

thebrucolac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 12:56:18 PM »

I think a massive machine gun array would be a great large ballistic weapon. Comparatively low OP cost would make it a great bargain, and I find machine guns in general great for overloading shields. The PD "Wall of Flak" would also be great. I'm imagining massive, unending broadsides like in Battlestar Galactica.