Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Module won't turn off shields and FLux Shunt is buggy  (Read 664 times)

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Module won't turn off shields and FLux Shunt is buggy
« on: October 30, 2019, 12:54:38 PM »

Not sure if this is a bug, or user error:
The attached ship has a module that produces a shield, however it never turns that shield off (with or without the Shield_Always_On hullmod, which makes me think user error), even when it should (say to vent flux).
Further, the module's Hard Flux doesn't vent unless (it seems) something interacts with it. If nothing interacts with it, it'll happily sit there not venting any Hard Flux (may be connected to the shield never turning off?). However if you activate the Fortress Shield, the Flux Shunt seems to remember it exists and Hard Flux starts venting.

[attachment deleted by admin]

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Module won't turn off shields and FLux Shunt is buggy
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 06:20:05 PM »

Ah, I think I can field this one.

Your "shield upkeep" attribute is a fraction of the ship's (in this case an attached module?) total flux venting potential. You set it to 1.0, therefore the ordinary shield will always use 100% of the module's base flux venting. There's nothing left over so the flux shunt will never have anything to do. I assume you can't normally add extra flux vents or take advantage of flux reducing talents on the module? I dunno how those things work.

Hardened shield is a unique shield. I played with the monitor a bit, and the ability (at least for the monitor) 1) consumes 0 soft flux, completely over riding the normal shield rate and 2) produces a fixed 100 hard flux when active. The fortress module has 600 venting power? With 50% flux shunt, it should be venting 600*.5 - 100 => 200 hard flux when fortress shield is active.

Play around a bit. In theory, you should have absolutely unchanging fortress shield flux at 200vent*50% shunting (unless it changes somehow), and you should be able to cool hard flux from the normal shield by setting the "shield upkeep" less than 1.0.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 06:40:11 PM by bobucles »

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Module won't turn off shields and FLux Shunt is buggy
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 06:28:00 PM »

You are a genius, thank you!
(Although sadly the 200 value for unchanging fortress shield didn't work, it slowly ticks up)
EDIT: It still won't turn off the bloody shield, but I'd planned to have it always on anyway so that's academic for this use case.