Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mods for Nomad play style.  (Read 2447 times)

Noviastar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Mods for Nomad play style.
« on: November 02, 2019, 02:48:20 AM »

Ive been wanting to try a more nomadic play style.  Was wondering if there are factions or ship packs people have used that say have a low cost on crew/fuel/suply.  But might for balance, lack in other departments. 

I got Fuel siphoning mod. 

Was just curious of other stuff was out there.  Thanks. 

Oh has anyone tried a 1 ship play?  if so any nice well balanced ships people recommend?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 04:14:12 AM by Noviastar »

FAX

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Mods for Nomad play style.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 04:38:11 AM »

1 ship play? You mean just you and your flagship? Well, I once pilot my gonodactylus of BRDY, a destory of which could easily crash my enemy with a tons of missiles, I had keep the special travel several months until my colony is under attack.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 04:44:08 AM »

1 ship play? I think he means a mono fleet, where you only use one ship type for battle. You can go soft monofleet by allowing logistic ships on the side for extra fuel/cargo. That opens up some options to monofleet any ship with bad cargo/fuel stats. Or you can go hard monofleet and demand only one ship type ever. In that case you'd need a versatile jack of all trades like the Apogee.

Some players have done well with pure Tempest spam. It's a potent ship with good attack and PD from its drones.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 05:12:22 AM »

If you avoid most fights, even a humble Mule herd can work very well as a 'mobile nation.'
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 01:14:23 PM »

If you need a fleet that lasts a long while then use cruisers or below and avoid capitals. Capitals soak up a ton of supplies and fuel for operating whereas cruisers will hover around 1/2 - 1/3 of capital costs while having similar effectiveness.

Logistics and Navigation 2 will help cut costs too and if you don't mind D-mods then you can also use d-modded ships to lower combat supply costs as long as the ships don't have erratic fuel injectors or increased maintenance D-mods, especially with industry skills which can increase fuel salvage from combat and reduce running maintenance costs for D-mods as well down to 20% of normal. You can make a really cheap, self sustaining fleet with industry and D-modded ships.

Lastly, you can always use Efficiency Overhaul to further reduce costs and Solar shielding to minimize costs from Hyperspace storms though it might be redundant with Safety Procedures 2.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 09:19:20 AM »

The game isn't really made for 1 ship unmodded. Mainly speaking you will be limited by fuel as soon as something unexpected happens and you need to emergency burn. What is it you want to do? What is a nomadic playstyle?

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 09:30:09 AM »

A solo ship run doesn't make sense in the context of this game. Starsector is primarily scaled around fleet battles. Even if you grab a hero ship, max out on pilot talents and dive in, you still need a supporting fleet to cover your weak points and help you win. A solo ship can only take on the smallest battles, and even with perfect invincible piloting skills you'll eventually run out of PPT and be overrun. On the campaign map you need cargo ships for supplies and fuel ships to probe deep space.

That being said, the Apogee tries to do it all. It has decent combat power, decent cargo space and good fuel range. Not a bad all in one ship, but it won't be a galaxy conquering powerhouse.

A MONO fleet makes more sense. Plenty of ships are good as a jack of all trades and can swarm to make functional, if not necessarily optimal spam fleets.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 10:56:43 AM »

Soloing is not a good option when enemies cower and delay as much as they can (draining your PPT in the process) and the skills are not as powerful as they were from 0.5.4a to 0.7.2a.  You need to go to pre-0.8a releases with skills if you want a very powerful hero ship, and even then you might still need haulers.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 11:08:31 AM »

What is a nomadic playstyle?
Not having any fixed base/storage. And carrying with you everything you own.
You don't need any mods to do this, but there are several which make things easier by adding mechanics (fuel siphoning), or just adding useful ships (literally every faction/ship pack).

Of all the mods, there are two standouts which add ships that really help:
Blackrock - Hawkmoth Tanker
Ship & Weapon Pack - Circe Combat Freighter & Vortex Light Carrier

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 12:40:30 PM »

Rather hear from the poster than you put words in his mouth. Not having a base/storage is completely normal for the first few moments of the game, but I wouldn't call that a nomadic playstyle, otherwise everybody starts of with a nomadic playstyle, which is clearly not what he is going for. What I want to know is what he wants to do, the playstyle. Does he want to explore? Trade? Fight? Wander around doing nothing?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 12:46:03 PM »

I think he wants a self-sufficient fleet that can live without relying on shops or whatever - the ultimate survivalist.  For example, if everyone in core died, and player has no colonies, his fleet is still just fine and functional.  His fleet runs around like a real murderhobo and can live off of scraps from whatever he kills.

Probably need Industry skills to mitigate clunker penalties.

P.S.  Reading OP more closely, he probably wants ships that can live on their own better.  Probably will not happen in newer releases without the ship being totally overpowered.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 12:49:34 PM by Megas »

guesswho2778

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 03:47:13 PM »

as someone who only piloted apogees until recently (i lost it after a pirate armada ambushed me and i had to sacrifice it to let my other ships escape) i can confirm that the apogee is a rather good command ship. with unstable injector and the skill (i forget the name) that increases your max speed it can go up to 140+ speed with locusts it can defend from fighters and make frigates back off, with a plasma cannon it can (most of the time) destroy most targets and has quite a bit of OP but it can get overwhelmed REALLY easily and if it does it is almost guaranteed to get destroyed