Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: What is the vision?  (Read 1387 times)

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
What is the vision?
« on: October 29, 2019, 01:55:00 PM »

I mean in a perfect world what will end game look like. Will major faction grow and expand? Will there be more dynamic elements? Think mount and blade, will we see major powers shifting control of systems?

I'm not asking for a promise (which is a loaded word), only what the intent is. What can reasonably be done?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What is the vision?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 08:36:34 PM »

Just in veeeery general terms, I'd expect the ultimate endgame to be more about story-based things than anything too 4x-like. I realize this isn't an awful lot of detail (and in particular doesn't comment on shifting control of star systems etc), but that's about as much as I'm comfortable with saying.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 07:40:51 AM »

Thanks for the reply, I get that you don't wanna say more for fear of people someday screaming about promises/overhype. I get that. But it sounds like you aren't taking anything off the table so that's good to hear.

This game is kinda in a crazy middle ground between several game types and I'm trying to wrap my head around what that would look like in the future. I'm fighting my own urge to overhype it in my head.

Noviastar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 08:49:07 AM »

As older gamers now I think we come to expect a lot of things.  Or new ideas. 

"It would be nice if this game was like X,Y,Z".  "Well that game did that better"  "OH this is a cool thing". 

Begs the question what is this game?  What does it do different?  And what vision did its creator want to show us?

I personally am enjoying it a lot.  Its more simple than a lot of 3d flight sim games in this genre(i.e X universe).  Also its more open than pure story driven games in this genre(ie. Homeworld series).  It has less tedious things to manage and interactions than galaxy driven games(i.e Master of Orion).

I love the ship designs and the combat system.  Reminds me of battles from (Star wars Rebellion 1&2, Master of Orion 1, and kinda Homeworld).  The battle action is fast and wild.  A swarm of missises and fighters can easily end you if you don't control your fleet. 

I could go on and on,,,

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 01:25:38 PM »

A vision is not something I care about. But what does it do different and is it fun, that is what I care about. Starsector fulfils both well for me on both accounts. Whatever the direction the game will end up looking like, I am happy with its core gameplay mechanics.