Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Class V 300% hazard planet  (Read 5553 times)

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Class V 300% hazard planet
« on: October 29, 2019, 01:42:33 PM »

I wonder is this a bug with rating calculations? Or only resources matter for planet rating?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Class V 300% hazard planet
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 05:16:11 AM »

That looks like a tech mine from last release.  Good to exploit early, but the extreme hazard makes it impractical to grow and support as a permanent settlement.

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 05:40:48 AM »

Only available resources matter for planet ratings. So since that planet has three ultrarich materials its a class V. While the 250% planet is only class I because it has barely any ore.

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 05:55:20 AM »

Well I'm jealous. Ultrarich metals, transplutonics and abundant volatiles with 40% accessibility is great to supply other colonies with raw ressources. Meanwhile I can't find any decent planets with volatiles available.
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

kenwth81

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 06:26:23 AM »

It is useful as a mining colony to export all the metals, transplutonics and volatiles to your other colonies. These cryovolcanic and volcanic worlds have high ores or rare ores deposits. Even for a mining colony 300% hazard rating would be too high, should look for something around 200% hazard rating.

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 06:35:18 AM »

For volatiles it's generally cryovolcanic worlds, the one in the Luddic Path controlled system (with the sky Anchor) tend to be quite valuable unless you did an unlucky roll.
Gas giants are annoying with their high gravity, a good reason to take one is if you have already established colonies orbiting it in order to have one more High command guarding the system  (and even then i tend to give it to my commissioner, yay free market next to me!)

If you can't find any good planet with volatiles it is a great fallback, 150% hazard for +2 volatiles and maybe ruins is an excellent investment that will quickly grow.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 06:56:05 AM »

This planet would work just fine as mining colony. I've had several %250 hazard colonies make plenty of money as long as they have good resources. You might like to put some beta cores in to reduce upkeep (and take the upkeep reduction skill) but the colony will still make a couple hundred k/month when it gets big. You can easily put refining on high hazard worlds as well for some extra income since it has low upkeep. Fuel production will also be plenty profitable if you have an extra synchrotron (which I almost always do). Those three industries will probably leave you at 200-300k/month at size 7 after upkeep and defensive structures and stuff.

I probably wouldn't colonize it by itself, but if it showed up in a system with another good world, I would definitely take it as a second colony in a system. I probably wouldn't colonize that system because there are no other good worlds though. I always want at least 2 colonies per system.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 07:15:30 AM »

I look at planet resources mostly for "Will this produce enough to meet demand for my colonies?"  I plan to grow my permanent settlements to size 10, and I want all producers to keep up, which means they need to grow to size 10, or least at roughly the same rate as my farming/heavy industry worlds, too.  I am for self-sufficiency for my colonies.

Without Industrial Planning, player needs +2 to most resources to meet demand.  That is stiff.  Even +1 with Industrial Planning can be rough.

Actually, I would pass on +3 on resources just for money alone early on because of expeditions.  When starting with colonies early, low or no resources is better for avoiding attention.  Later on when I can kill expeditions, then I will take it if I need it.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 12:05:51 PM »

If it was in an agreeable system, I would colonise that planet in a heartbeat.
Growth will be glacial (hurr), but that's not an insurmountable problem.

The hazard makes it not 'optimal'. But its certainly workable.
Unlike the previous versions where hazard ratings like that would be a hard no.
As mentioned - not a place you'd want your main colony, but fine for a second.

kenwth81

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 11:13:28 PM »

I look at planet resources mostly for "Will this produce enough to meet demand for my colonies?"  I plan to grow my permanent settlements to size 10, and I want all producers to keep up, which means they need to grow to size 10, or least at roughly the same rate as my farming/heavy industry worlds, too.  I am for self-sufficiency for my colonies.

Without Industrial Planning, player needs +2 to most resources to meet demand.  That is stiff.  Even +1 with Industrial Planning can be rough.

Actually, I would pass on +3 on resources just for money alone early on because of expeditions.  When starting with colonies early, low or no resources is better for avoiding attention.  Later on when I can kill expeditions, then I will take it if I need it.

Some of my colonies have no planet resources. You can import everything. Although you do need high accessibility and low hazard rating for such colonies. And they could be vulnerable to shortages and trade disruptions if they are attacked by pirates.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 05:34:47 AM »

With industry limits, no resources is not a problem as long as player has other planets to produce them.  Three industries on no resource planets would be Military Base (tax for basic defense), Light Industry, one or two among Refinery, Fuel Production, or Heavy Industry.  I probably would grab Heavy Industry for higher production limit.  I suppose Commerce can be an option too.

Gas giants are annoying with their high gravity, a good reason to take one is if you have already established colonies orbiting it in order to have one more High command guarding the system  (and even then i tend to give it to my commissioner, yay free market next to me!)

If you can't find any good planet with volatiles it is a great fallback, 150% hazard for +2 volatiles and maybe ruins is an excellent investment that will quickly grow.
A gas giant ended up as my primary colony because it was the only nearby planet with enough volatiles and low enough hazard.  150% hazard and +1 volatiles only.  It had mining (for volatiles), military base (system defense), light industry, and heavy industry (for more monthly production).  Helped that a 100% tundra was orbiting it, good place to dump fuel production.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 05:45:22 AM by Megas »

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 08:58:30 AM »

Why light industry? It seems to be one of the least profitable industries as far as I can tell, or does it interact with drugs/organs in a way that I'm not accounting for? I usually have one world with light industry and that is usually less profitable than other comparable worlds in my experience. Fuel production with a synchrotron seems the best choice for a no-resource world, but refining is a close second IMO.

Noviastar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 09:00:33 AM »

Everything gets a Beta AI

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 11:30:39 AM »

Why light industry? It seems to be one of the least profitable industries as far as I can tell, or does it interact with drugs/organs in a way that I'm not accounting for? I usually have one world with light industry and that is usually less profitable than other comparable worlds in my experience. Fuel production with a synchrotron seems the best choice for a no-resource world, but refining is a close second IMO.
After Military Base, what else?

Also, if I did not use cores (I did not due to not knowing about Pather bug at the time), I want to avoid Pather cells, and do not want interest to exceed 6.  Yes, I am aware Pathers are bugged, and alpha cores are basically risk-free.

Until after player reaches endgame and wins the game, worlds have effectively three slot limit for industries at size 5 or 6.  Getting to size 7, let alone 8+, takes a long time.  By the time my first colony grows to size 7, I have gathered all of the blueprints I need and can assemble an Ordos hunter fleet to kill just about anything.

Habitable worlds with under 100% hazard get Farmland, Military Base, and either Heavy Industry with nanoforge or Fuel Production with synchrotron.  Fourth industry will likely be Light Industry (no Pather interest).  I do not want Commerce or Tech Mining, and other industries will put Pather cells on the planet.

If I am lucky and get a 150% or under high-gravity Habitable with ultra-rich ores and the like, industries will be Military Base, Mining, Refining, and probably another Heavy Industry (no nanoforge).

Basically, Light Industry is a filler industry that can produce goods to keep local population happy and generates no Pather interest.  Having local light industry even if I do not need it (but have nothing better to fill slot on a planet) means I do not need to import as much vendor trash to deposit into Colony Resources to counter a shortage.  As long as I do not lose income, I do not care if the Light Industry or other industry is not as profitable.

I generally put my item-boosted Heavy Industry or Fuel Production on a 100% or less habitable world with some farmland.  I suspect the "no resource" worlds probably have at least 100%, probably more.
Pages: [1] 2