Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (0.7)  (Read 129939 times)

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
Re: Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (in progress)
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 09:04:20 PM »

I originally left the Avatar off the list (among others) because I believed there were significant barriers to its faithful implementation given Starfarer's current state.

But returning to think about specifically that ship, I think I could come up with a reasonable implementation for every part of it except the tractor beam and the individual destruction of the satellites. The satellites themselves I think would work best as a single turret with three barrels, each facing outward but with a 360 degree arc, and point-defense range. The main ship laser of course would be a beam weapon.

The tractor beam, unfortunately, has no analogue. But I think I could make the ship fun to play anyway, when it comes up.

After the next ship or two I'll revisit each of the ships from UQM, edit the options a bit and reset the poll votes.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 10:01:44 AM »

The next ship will be the Melnorme Trader, with 7 votes. Next nearest at this moment has 5. I'll post sprite art and whatever as I finish it.

Also it looks like Alex has already put in a weapon that is basically 100% analogous to the Trader's weapon, so it will be very faithful. I might even be able to monkey in the chargeup sound effect as well ;D This'll be the largest ship yet, even larger than the Dreadnought, and being that it's supposed to be generally spherical, this one could take quite a bit longer to do. We'll see.

His secondary weapon will not mess with controls, but it will instantly trigger a flux overload (no damage) if it lands a hit.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 04:43:56 PM »

For now I'm just grappling with how I want to display them. Ideally I'd like to be able to show this:
Captain Pike
Earthling Cruiser

I know it's a little late, and might not even matter in the end, but you might be able to get away with the current layout by making it a:

"Jameson Pike, Captain 1st"-class ship.

Then I believe it will read:

Jameson Pike, Captain 1st-class
Earthling Cruiser

Which isn't -too- bad, and also allows for other (presumably lower) classes of captain, or lieutenant, or whatever.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 08:10:36 AM »

:-\

I did some work on the Melnorme Trader sprite, but then decided it was terrible and looked so unlike the original SC2 ship that I threw it away and started over. Ugh.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 09:01:29 AM »

Aw, man. I was hoping for some shiny new graphics when I clicked on this!

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 10:13:48 PM »

Aw, man. I was hoping for some shiny new graphics when I clicked on this!

Main post updated with current sprite.  ;)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 09:09:27 AM »

Hmm. I think that actually looks really good, except for the grooves. Those don't fit in and look more like battle damage, imo - though what kind of battle that was, I can't say. Bitten by a giant space eel, whose teeth left drag marks on the hull, perhaps?

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 09:45:18 AM »

GIANT SPACE EELS CONFIRMED IN STARFARER!!!

I knew it.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 10:52:32 AM »

except for the grooves.

Yes, they still bother me too. I think what I'll try next is putting some sorts of plates or objects in front of the grooves near seams and edges to give the whole thing better depth. I'll post an update when I've got one.

I knew this ship was going to be a pain before I started, but I truly enjoy making these. Getting to freely and shamelessly pick and pull parts from the Starfarer assets and re-assemble them willy-nilly into ships from my nostalgic sci-fi gaming past is like crack. Seriously.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 08:58:52 AM »

GIANT SPACE EELS CONFIRMED IN STARFARER!!!

I knew it.

... oh no!

I knew this ship was going to be a pain before I started, but I truly enjoy making these. Getting to freely and shamelessly pick and pull parts from the Starfarer assets and re-assemble them willy-nilly into ships from my nostalgic sci-fi gaming past is like crack. Seriously.

So in that scenario, I'm the dealer, and David is the supplier. Hmm. Ok, done taking the analogy too far, carry on.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 10:29:10 AM »

The Yehat Terminator will be the next ship. I have reset the vote counts and added more ships that I think will be at least 50% feasible (meaning at least one weapon is doable for any given ship), so let me know what you want after the Yehat.

The Melnorme Trader ship data is not yet done, but version 0.4 will include the finished Trader. I'll reserve version 0.5 for the Yehat release.

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 11:22:53 AM »

"Mmrnmhrm"

If there's a ship I can love, it's one I cannot pronounce  :D

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2011, 10:55:46 AM »

Added current sprite for Yehat Terminator in first post. I promise I will release playable versions of the trader and terminator soon!

Update: I might have made the Yehat ship a little bigger than it's supposed to be, but you know what, I love the way it turned out so much I'm not going to touch it anymore. Plus, since this whole mod is somewhat of a "reinterpretation," or "as seen through the lens of Starfarer," I get artistic license to do all sorts of shady things like that. Haha.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 05:21:52 PM by Trylobot »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2011, 05:28:54 PM »

Indeed. *thumbs up* on the Yehat, can't wait to try it. Finally, a ship with shields, that functionally matches up to the SC2 version!

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 12:14:53 AM »

Version 0.4 released; link updated in first post. Melnorme Trader now playable, along with two new missions: "Totality" and "Random Melee," which do pretty much what you'd think.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8