Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (0.7)  (Read 129814 times)

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (0.7)
« on: June 09, 2011, 02:32:54 PM »

Download version 0.7 — Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters

TO DO (Global):
  • Provide module for any ship to transform to other sprite + bounds; armor damage will be stored per ship+transform instance; so each mode of a ship would get its own armor; actual transformation implementation via ShipAPI setSprite, getArmorGrid, CombatEntityAPI getExactBounds; add sprites to settings.json/graphics; add armor grid hashtable internal to the module;
  • Set to Total Conversion; remove vanilla content; create custom title screen
  • Victory Music & Special Sound FX: now possible via SoundPlayerAPI
  • Zero-flux speed boost removed globally
  • Custom AI support where necessary for strange weapons, especially some "missiles/drones" (Orz marine, Chenjesu DOGI, Vux Limpet)

Ships to-do:
  • Slylandro Probe: EMP ship system for main weapon; "Speed" script (can't slow down)
  • Chmmr Avatar: 3x ZapSats drones; Tractor Beam via scripted weapon, pulls target (weaker on heavier ships!)
  • Arilou Laylee'lay Skiff: Inertialess Drive via stats, Teleport ship system
  • Chenjesu Broodhome: DOGI drone (one-at-time limit)
  • Ilwrath Avenger: Phasing system for cloak; Flamethrower as scripted weapon with custom sprite rendering
  • Mmrnmhrm X-Form: use new transform module; use "convergeOnPoint" beam weapon spec (X-Wing); Missiles to 30 ammo, instant recharge for AI (Y-Wing).
  • Orz Nemesis: Space Marines as drones or missiles, damage-over-time via scripts
  • Ur-Quan Kzer-Za Dreadnought: Autonomous Fighters via drones, launched two-at-a-time with custom sound fx
  • Mycon Podship: Hull/Armor Restoration via scripted ship system, fade-out of weapon via scripted rendering weapon plugin
  • Androsynth Guardian: use new transform module; Acid Bubble weapon via scripted weapon
  • Umgah Drone: Field Effect weapon as custom beam graphic, + script to destroy asteroids/projectiles in field; movement ability via ship system movement script
  • Earthling Cruiser: Allow PD lasers to target asteroids (lowest priority but extra damage); sprite tweaks (nacelle placement)
  • Druuge Mauler: sprite tweaks (conical surface rendering)

Planned
Utwig Jugger
Pkunk Fury
Androsynth Guardian
Umgah Drone
Supox Blade
Thraddash Torch
Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah Marauder
Syreen Penetrator
Slylandro Probe
Chenjesu Broodhome

Have Sprites
Druuge Mauler
Chmmr Avatar
Mycon Podship
Shofixti Scout
Arilou Laylee'lay Skiff
Ilwrath Avenger
Zoq-Fot-Pik Stinger

Implemented to Some Degree
Vux Intruder
Spathi Discriminator
Mmrnmhrm X-Form
Yehat Terminator
Melnorme Trader
Orz Nemesis
Earthling Cruiser
Ur-Quan Kzer-Za Dreadnought

I started with the sprites in Star Control II, tweaked the lines and then frankened bits and bobs from Starfarer ships. My hope is that the ships look like their original counterparts enough to be recognizable, but seen through the lens of the Starfarer style, scale and gameplay.

The mod adds 4 missions: Totality, Random Melee, Hierarchy vs. Alliance, and Alliance vs. Hierarchy.

The Ur-Quan Masters Project credit to this project for all their hard work
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 08:19:26 PM by Trylobot »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 02:53:55 PM »

I'd love to see the ZFP Stinger. Your idea for the "Thumper" weapon from the other thread sounds perfect for it.

spaceglob

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 03:38:04 PM »

Wow! this looks really cool!
what about the pkunk, though? I really like those ships.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 03:43:07 PM »

what about the pkunk, though?

I want to do the Pkunk, but it just wouldn't work at all without a couple of modding API additions or engine features. So I left it out of the poll for now. Along with some others, for the same reason. Sorry!

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 05:31:55 PM »

Looks like UQM is covered by the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license. So all I'd need to do is release the mod under the same license and give credit to Toys for Bob.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 02:23:28 AM »

update; added sprite for the dreadnought.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
Re: Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters (in progress)
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 12:20:09 PM »

Download link added for v. 0.1. This version contains only the dreadnought, no fighters yet, and no earthling cruiser. But it does let you bring the pain of the plasma torpedo against inferior life forms!

Note: this mod overwrites sounds.json, so if you have another mod installed which does the same, they will conflict. I believe the mod listed first in the launcher list will take precedence.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
Re: Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters (in progress)
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 03:29:55 AM »

Download version 0.2

Added the Earthling Cruiser, and the Autonomous Fighter. Playtested a bunch for balance, and now you can play as either ship. The poor AI is so intimidated right now when he's facing your dreadnought that I had to give him a second ship just so that he wouldn't run away immediately.

I put a suggestion in that may help in the future, though - the ability for a mission to disable retreat. That should make the AI sufficiently insane to do battle anyway.

Updated original post with sprites.

And finally, it looks like there's a tie right now between two ships. Someone break this tie!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:32:11 PM by Trylobot »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (in progress)
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 08:56:26 AM »

Loving this! The fighters, the PD laser... really brings me back. I also *love* the earthling cruiser's missile, it's just perfect. Funny how the gameplay already feels SC2-ish - found myself shooting those missiles w/ the plasma cannon, and kiting the  Dreadnought when the roles were changed.

You have to add a planet, though :)

Good call on disabling retreat, I'm pretty sure I actually have a todo item for this somewhere. Part of this is the highly-non-standard loadouts are confusing the AI - it likely thinks both are civilian ships based on the weapon strength compared to hull size. I'll take a look.

About ship designations - any reason you're leaving those blank? (I think that's the reason for your other suggestion thread). Why not just put in "Dreadnought", "Cruiser", etc? The game uses just the designation in a few places, so it really ought to be filled in.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 10:26:07 AM »

You have to add a planet, though :)

Absolutely! Planning on a very large planet in the middle, and an asteroid belt of course.

About ship designations - any reason you're leaving those blank?

Suggestions / Modding - Naming Format Control
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:41:41 PM by Trylobot »

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 03:53:33 PM »

The Orz Nemesis will be the third ship added, with 5 votes. The closest runners-up at this time are close with 4 votes each.

I'm not entirely sure yet how I will implement the Nemesis' secondary weapon, the space marines, but it'll likely be something pretty different from how UQM did it. For one thing, they won't be able to "board" the enemy ship, or even be launched from the Nemesis, but I'll try to come with something.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 11:06:54 AM »

Just booted this up a few minutes ago.

I'll admit I don't really have a frame of reference from the original Star Control / ur-Quan stuff, but it's interesting how a 'simple' mod can come together to make almost a different game. Also quite a well balanced couple of missions, the dreadnought is clearly the more powerful of the two ships, but needs to be agressive to stand a real chance to kill. As it probably should. And it obviously scares the living shite out of the Earthling scum, because the little sissy keeps running away from my massive death cannon. No, that's not a euphemism for my ... hmm ... anyway.

Love the sprites, by the way.

And I voted a Chenjesu Broodhome just because I like the name. Presumably that's okay ...

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 12:06:17 AM »

Playable version of the Orz Nemesis added, and I have to say the turret came out beautiful. I was worried about it for a while, but the Starfarer engine makes everything look better, haha. Have fun!

If you have any ideas for how to implement the Space Marines (and you've actually played Star Control II), let me know in this thread. I'm scratching my head about it right now.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 10:18:17 AM »

I've never played Star Control II because I missed it when it was current, but I've certainly read a ton about it. Just jumping in to say that I'm finding your interpretations of the ships in the Starfarer style are absolutely charming; I love looking for where you got all the little bits and pieces from the core-Starfarer ship asets.

Looking forward to more!

Brettflan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 06:51:38 PM »

Assuming it's possible, you can't forget the Chmmr Avatar.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8