Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (0.7)  (Read 129812 times)

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (0.7)
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2013, 08:30:43 PM »

Just finished playing the open-source version of The Ur-Quan Masters. It's amazing how the mod tools here allow the SC2 ships to really work. I'd love to see the Mycon cruiser rear its ugly hull... combined with the potential for friendly fire! I wonder if there's a way to get the Thraddash afterburners working with a ship system simultaneously dropping proximity charges and getting a speed boost.

Also, MAJOR kudos on the art!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 08:56:53 PM by Temjin »

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2013, 08:54:29 PM »

Updated original post with the Mycon Podship sprite.

Now, I feel this one warrants some explanation. This is the first ship where I've intentionally diverged from the original Star Control II sprite, but I think I'm justified lore-wise to do so. In my hybrid Starsector/Star Control universe, the Mycons have to be equipped with certain technologies in order to achieve faster-than-light travel; those are the bits you see sort of attached to the outer shell of the Mycon. You'll also see engines and a sort of "nozzle"; these are also embedded into the mycon's body in order to better harvest its energies. There are a team of trained engineers aboard the mycon "harness" system that keep its systems functional and provide direction to the creature.

This is in opposition to the Star Control universe, in which the Mycons are themselves perfectly suitable for space travel, and in fact take direction from no one but their own elders. I felt that my change brings them more in line with the feel of the other ships. Hope you think so too.

Typo91

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2013, 05:49:09 AM »

You sir are a man after my own heart.

Hats off to you making this wonderful mod - the art alone is epic.

I grew up on StarCon2, that game sparked the imagination.  Given where this game is going, there could be a lot of cool stuff in the future.

Travel between solar systems, fuel, all it needs is minerals, and starmaps.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2013, 10:22:22 PM »

Posted the latest sprite: this time it's the long-awaited Chmmr Avatar. This one's taken me considerably longer because of the sheer size, and also because I've taken care with one of my favourite ships to get it just right. I've not started on the satellites yet, but I don't see them being very difficult, and I might do them and some of the other weapons/specials/effects more toward the end of the project.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2013, 06:52:00 AM »

You can check out the zapsats on the SC2 mod i got in, they work exactly like the original game

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2013, 04:38:11 PM »

Posted the Druuge Mauler sprite.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2013, 04:48:22 PM »

It looks so strange xD

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2013, 06:38:29 PM »

It looks so strange xD

It really does, but it captures that Druuge feel pretty well.  The feel of being appropriately cheap.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2013, 11:10:43 AM »

Sorry the necroing, if you start working on this, could you help making up a Conversation UI for the races (SC2 style animated)?

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2013, 01:28:27 PM »

That's really low on my list. When I resume work on this, I have a lot of sprite work left to do. If you want SC2 dialogue, you're best to start work on it yourself.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2013, 01:20:01 PM »

I have updated original post with concrete plans for the remaining work for this mod. I believe that with effort, this mod will be realized according to my original dream. Everything I originally set out to do is now possible in Starsector 0.6a+. I have some experimentation to do yet, and lots of coding and artwork, naturally, but this mod absolutely will be completed. It is not vaporware.

Highest on my list is the artwork itself, because that is the part that represents the largest amount of remaining work while also being the most "future-proof" with respect to Starsector game engine changes. In other words once I have the sprites, they won't need to be updated much after that, if at all. Following that work, I will be auditing all the existing ships for features that can now be implemented, or implemented better than they currently are. This, too, will be a significant amount of work. Lastly, implementing all new ships, with all their crazy systems and abilities; no small amount of work there either, but my exploration into these APIs via my other modding work has shown me that it's actually pretty straightforward, just takes a bit of planning.

When all of this gets done, the mod will be limited at that point to a series of missions. While that was always a great deal of fun, silentstormpt has shown a desire for a campaign version of the mod. I see no reason not to do the same to my mod eventually, except I have no desire to implement all the old dialog and so forth, animated portraits and what-not; my campaign would be more of an expansion to the missions' content. In other words you'll be able to start as the Hegemony or Alliance, and you'll play a sort of hybrid between SC1 and SC2 map gameplay; I see there being a static system map pre-populated with factions and so on, and you've got to turn the tide of a war for control of the galaxy. Capturing planets to produce more ships etc, assigning targets for your faction etc. Stuff like that. But that's pretty far out in the future.

bboy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2015, 01:45:28 AM »

Anything still happening here / news? I know life tends to get in the way of projects like this but am curious.

I was thinking myself that it might be really awesome to have Star Control as a faction (perhaps one Hierarchy and another alliance) that plays well with the other mods, I'm not sure how much work that is - I just recently found out about Starsector and am checking everything out and not even sure if the creator of this mod would be open to anything like that.

Otherwise might look into something like that myself - or focus on one of the SC races and build out fan-fiction alternate ships for their fleet. I feel like working on a mod would be a lot of fun (albeit hard work)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2015, 02:34:38 AM »

The last post in this thread was back in 2013. If a thread has been dead for that long it is better to PM the mod author about the mod instead of necroing it.

Welcome to the forum though!  :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 02:39:02 AM by Erick Doe »

mllhild

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2023, 11:29:41 AM »

Nice ship design, sadly seems like the links are all dead.
to be done some day... XD

Hatter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2023, 10:13:50 PM »

Nice ship design, sadly seems like the links are all dead.
Read the post above yours and check the dates.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8